The Class E Network

• geaves wrote:

To have that amount of hardware would not be worth the grief from you know who
      Yeah, I know who you're talking about - SHMBO.
      On my end, the situation is a bit different. She's Irish and since my heritage (way back) is traceable to England, it's almost a genetic imperative - I must "oppress". :) (And if you believe that...)

flmaxey wrote:

I'm going to rerun the test, with the case assembled this time, to see what happens.
      I reran the the full mem-test and this time it was error free, row hammer tests and all. But, this time, I had the case fully assembled... (That sounds like voodoo BS, uh?) In the bottom line, there's no "there", there, so I'm a happy camper. I'll run it one more time with the X5660's installed to make sure their cache is OK.

ryecoaaron wrote:

You could use snapshots for this too. Set a snapshot, try your test, rollback to the snapshot. This is supported in the free version.
      Sure, but one of the things I did with OMV in Virtualbox was, do the basic build, set up a bunch of virtual 5GB drives and clone it a few times. One clone was configured for mdadm RAID, the 2nd ZFS, the 3rd EXT4 and MergerFS+SNAPRAID, etc. Cloning is useful for branching a basic build into different directions and keeping them for testing. It certainly saves time.

Proxmox seems interesting enough and there's more than a bit of reading to be done on :!: Ceph :!: . (As if ZFS wasn't enough.)

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• flmaxey wrote:

Yeah, I know who you're talking about
      :D :D I could get away with it if it was hidden away i.e in the loft, but due to the odds of 2 to 1 the loft and the best part of the garage is "storage" for their needs, I mean why/how is it that a female has a summer and winter wardrobe which, if one was not packed away would require copious amounts of storage in a bedroom. That's without the necessary shoe storage, that's a don't go there subject, so I have to think small and hope that it returns big, if not, live with what you've got.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • There's a LOT to absorb on the Ceph topic but, with the barest of overviews, it seems to be interesting. I'm not sure I could do much with a cluster configuration (who knows what could be done in VM's?) so I'll be looking at what can be done at the host level with 5 or 6 physical drives. That's the limiting factor and the the real expense - storage media.

I'm taking a first look at OMV5 on Debian 10 (Buster). It's loading it into a VM. We'll see if there are any (BTRFS) surprises.

Edit:
      Well that didn't work out very well. While going through the script process.....

root@OMV5-BETA:/# apt-get update
      Get:1 ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease [154 kB]
      Hit:2 security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
      Get:3 packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease [12.7 kB]

Err:3 packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease
      The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13 NO_PUBKEY 24863F0C716B980B
      Reading package lists... Done
      W: GPG error: packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13 NO_PUBKEY 24863F0C716B980B
      E: The repository 'http://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease' is not signed.

N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
      N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

root@OMV5-BETA:/#

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit. ().

• New

flmaxey wrote:

Well that didn't work out very well. While going through the script process.....
      Volker's OMV5 instructions will probably have to change since you can't add a repo without a key (unless you put trusted in the repo line but that is bad idea) and actually install packages from it. So, download and install the key first:

wget http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/pool/main/o/openmediavault-keyring/openmediavault-keyring_1.0_all.deb
      dpkg -i openmediavault-keyring_1.0_all.deb

then you should be able to apt-get update
      omv 4.1.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • New

macom wrote:

That is what I did
      In a VM
      For testing, I think it is fine but I would want Volker to change his guide to do this :)

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • New

ryecoaaron wrote:

wget packages.openmediavault.org/pu…vault-keyring_1.0_all.deb
      dpkg -i openmediavault-keyring_1.0_all.deb
      While the first command pulled the keyring:
      dpkg -i (above) still didn't work. It wouldn't install with a note about two files not being in the path or executable.

As it turned out, in environmental variables env /usr/sbin was missing. Once added export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin the keyring installed.

I picked it up from there with the following:

root@OMV5-BETA:/# apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
      > --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
      > --no-install-recommends \
      > --option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
      > --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
      > install postfix openmediavault
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
      requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
      distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
      or been moved out of Incoming.
      The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      openmediavault : Depends: php-pam but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: salt-minion (>= 2018.3.3) but it is not going to be installed
      E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

root@OMV5-BETA:/# omv-confdbadm populate
      bash: omv-confdbadm: command not found

The version used: debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso
      lsb_release -a
      No LSB modules are available.
      Distributor ID: Debian
      Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid
      Release: testing
      Codename: buster

Since there are no version #'s attached, I download this testing distro yesterday. (12/11 if that makes a difference)
      I also went for the minimum install, with an SSH server and utilities as the only "extra's" installed.

Since others (macon, happyreacer, etc.) seem to be getting OMV5 up and running, I can't help but wonder what's happening on this end. I must not be coping and pasting sections of those scripts properly. :) Maybe I have the wrong distro?

• New

flmaxey wrote:

dpkg -i (above) still didn't work. It wouldn't install with a note about two files not being in the path or executable.
      When you su to root, you need to do su - to include the environment variables and paths. Doesn't matter anyway since there are dependencies that are not able to be satisfied. Volker will need to update the salt and php-pam packages.

• New

ryecoaaron wrote:

When you su to root, you need to do su - to include the environment variables and paths.
      I've done the script install before and it didn't require su - but that was then and this is now. I verified the variables and paths difference. (Thanks for that.)

ryecoaaron wrote:

Doesn't matter anyway since there are dependencies that are not able to be satisfied. Volker will need to update the salt and php-pam packages.
      Setting the key ring issue aside; since the salt and php-pam packages refused to install, "patching" them into this distro is beyond my ability. :)
      I'll try it again, later.

• Users Online 3

3 Guests