Recommendations on migration from FreeNAS to OMV

• Hello all,

I'd like some recommendations or options on migrating my FreeNAS server to OMV.

Several years ago I built a FreeNAS server to replace my homebrew Debian NAS. I built it using fairly current recommended specs on the FreeNAS site at the time.

CPU - Xeon 1230v2
    Motherboard - Supermicro X9SCM-F-O
    Memory - 32GB Crucial 1600mhz ECC
    SATA Controllers - 2x IBM M1015 (IT mode)
    HDDs - 12x 4TB Seagate NAS drives

Although I was never able to get really good CIFS or at least semi-expected performance out of it.
    I think the best I got was around 48MB/sec writes and 52MB/sec reads when transferring to a Linux HTPC with SSD and Intel NIC.

Work and life in general made me just stop messing with it all together, also a little bit of frustration with the darn thing. ^^

I'm looking at picking back up with the project because the Debian NAS is kinda long in the tooth nowadays and I'm tired of this semi-beefy server just sitting in the rack collecting dust.

I know this server is sorta overkill both in terms of CPU and RAM to just run OMV, but between browsing though the forums, and other hardware I have sitting around I know I have lots of options either way.
    I'm thinking really hard at two options and I'd like to know what people think about them.

1) Loading Proxmox on the server with the following configuration and running OMV as a VM:
    CPU - Xeon 1230v2
    Motherboard - Supermicro X9SCM-F-O
    Memory - 32GB Crucial 1600mhz ECC
    Proxmox installed with onboard RAID1 2x 250GB SSD
    Pass-through the 2x IBM M1015 (IT mode) and use the 12x 4TB HDDs for OMV storage

2) Installing OMV baremetal on:
    CPU - AMD A6 3500 3 core APU 2.1GHz
    Motherboard - ASRock A75 Extreme6
    Memory 8GB Crucial 1600mhz
    OMV installed with onboard RAID1 2x 250GB SSD
    SATA Controllers - 2x IBM M1015 (IT mode)
    HDDs - 12x 4TB Seagate NAS drives

Installing OMV directly to the server how it is now seems like a waste because I really only need basic file storage (pictures, videos, documents, backups, etc), as well as stream/share these with several systems throughout the house.
    I don't really want to run lots of plugins, even running the few plugins that I thought about messing with seem to still be a waste of this hardware.

I think both options are reasonable and each have their pros and cons.

Right now I already have a 3 node Proxmox cluster, which makes option 1 kinda useful, and means I could retire one node that doesn't get used much while also fulfilling my NAS needs.
    From what I have read, it looks like option 2 looks like it can run OMV for my basic needs.

So to my questions:

1) Does option 1 make sense or is it still overkill?

2) Can the specs for option 2 perform fairly well for my stated needs?

Thank you in advance for any advice or input you can provide.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Option 1 is overkill for just file serving. Option 2 should work well. When I used proxmox, I passed through the drives individually and it worked well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @ryecoaaron thank you very much for your reply.

I am testing OVM 3 out right now on system with:
    CPU - AMD A6 3500 3 core APU 2.1GHz
    Motherboard - ASRock A75 Extreme6

I have six HDDs connected to a Supermicro SATA controller using software raid from inside OMV.
    Just getting the hang of how it functions and everything in the interface.

I would like to pool the drives and use SnapRAID, but I need to read, learn, and experiment more.

Thank you again

• I'm building similar server (migrating from UNRAID). If you need Proxmox virtualization, better install OMV or Debian Jessie (and then OMV from repository) on bare metal and install over it Proxmox from repository. Then you will have NAS+Proxmox with easy web GUI management.

• I'm building similar server (migrating from UNRAID). If you need Proxmox virtualization, better install OMV or Debian Jessie (and then OMV from repository) on bare metal and install over it Proxmox from repository. Then you will have NAS+Proxmox with easy web GUI management.

Is this true? Do you use it in such a way? In the past I read here in the forum that it's not possible to install proxmox and omv side-by-side because of watchdog dependencies.

EDIT: Here is the thread where I read it: OMV setup next to Proxmox, not as a VM?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!