Static IP?

• I'm running with a banana pi m1 with 2.2.1 of OMV as a NAS

I have 4 windows machines that need to connect to a 5 port switch and the banaNAS connected to the switch as well. When I connect just the NAS and one of the machines to the switch and connect the switch to my router I can connect fine under the network devices. But what needs to happen is just have the switch and NAS on and be able to access the NAS on my computer without having the router in the mix.

How can I manage this? I was thinking it would be along the lines of giving the NAS a static ip.

• So from my understanding you need one machine that does the network administration - like seemingly your router does, assumingly via DHCP.
    Is your switch capable of doing so?

So I would change the setup and have the switch and the NAS connected to the router and the windows machines connected to the switch.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

• How can I get all 4 computers to communicate to the NAS? I've tried giving the NAS a static ip and then map the network drive when I have my computer connected to the switch. No internet/routers involved.

• Plug all your computers and the router's LAN port into the switch.

Give all computers either a static private IP address or allow them to get a dynamic private IP address via DHCP from the router. If getting IPs via DHCP make sure the router has its DHCP server enabled.

In any case, all PCs will communicate with each other thru the switch - that traffic never sees the router.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Plug all your computers and the router's LAN port into the switch.

Give all computers either a static private IP address or allow them to get a dynamic private IP address via DHCP from the router. If getting IPs via DHCP make sure the router has its DHCP server enabled.

In any case, all PCs will communicate with each other thru the switch - that traffic never sees the router.

I only have access to one of the machines right now. Two of them are my tech centers Windows 7 workstations and the other two are personal Windows 10 workstation laptops. How do I go about giving all the computers a private static IPs and also the NAS? Could someone give me reference, i.e. what to assign to each computer to communicate to the static NAS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I only have access to one of the machines right now. Two of them are my tech centers Windows 7 workstations and the other two are personal Windows 10 workstation laptops. How do I go about giving all the computers a private static IPs and also the NAS? Could someone give me reference, i.e. what to assign to each computer to communicate to the static NAS?

Read this but why do what to take the router out of the equation? Also OMV has a plugin dnsmasq which will do the same job as the router.

• I'm taking those 4 machines to a competition in June and need to be able to transfer files quickly between computers. But I won't be able to have a router with me. I had all the equipment on hand to build the NAS I have. I'll take a look at the dnsmasq plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm taking those 4 machines to a competition in June and need to be able to transfer files quickly between computers. But I won't be able to have a router with me. I had all the equipment on hand to build the NAS I have. I'll take a look at the dnsmasq plugin.

Ah, now you've explained it that makes sense....however, obviously if you use dnsmasq after your competition you will either have disable that plugin and revert back to the router or disable the dhcp on the router and continue using OMV for dhcp and dns.

• Ah, now you've explained it that makes sense....however, obviously if you use dnsmasq after your competition you will either have disable that plugin and revert back to the router or disable the dhcp on the router and continue using OMV for dhcp and dns.

Yeah, i'd just disable the plugin.

• So, I don't think i'm going to use dnsmasq. I just want to modify the ethernet properties in windows and have the nas with a static ip.

I know how to change the ethernet settings on windows to connect to the NAS, but how do I setup the NAS with its static ip and dns stuff?

Can you give me give me the values to enter into this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're not going to need dns or a gateway defining on either W10 and omv, the ip addresses just need to be in the same scope.

So the 5 machines will need to be configured as 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 and so on with the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 then plug them all into the switch....but bear in mind you're only going to able to use the ip address to access omv as there is no dns resolution. Simples ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!