Newcomer trying to figure things out

• Hi,

Im totally new to omv and so far I'm loving the experience. Im so so linux savvy (only been on linux in general a few month) but learning every day. I was hoping to find some help with configuring a few things.

First I was told that php7 isn't available on omv (till v4) and if I wanted it, I should use docker. Now I checked docker out and installed the omv plugin but after pulling the image via the plugin, I'm a bit confused on what to do next. there is a run image button which seems to do the same thing as create container but I dont know what options I need to put. If I could use the native php in omv, I would , I just dont know how the apps that need it will react (if they are still compatible with php5.6)

Since I'm talking about docker, should I use it for sonnar and raddar? or are the omv plugins stay up to date. I still have my db and config files for those apps and would like to use them to avoid having to reconfigure..is this possible?

Then there is nginx, I have a bunch of conf files I would want to use but I dont see how I can import them in the current interface of the nginx plugin.

Lots of the apps I want to use are in docker and some have omv plugins, is there advantages going with either or? like I would need mariadb and plex and syncthing...etc

Anyways I think that is it for now...still poking around :)

• Why do you need php7 ?

Docker is for running applications, I wouldn't use it just for php. You set up a docker container for the actual end application that you need so that you don't have to worry about dependency versions. For a beginner, the best is to download the container images from hub.docker.com.

For Sonarr and Radarr, you can use the OMV plugins. Those applications update themselves.

It sounds like you really want to set up your own web server to tinker with. In that case, you should probably just set up a VM instead of docker. Docker is for deploying end applications, not for tinkering with nginx and php.

What you need to do is to list the applications you need and decide whether you want them as plugins, docker containers, or VMs. All have their advantages and drawbacks.
    - Plugins are dead easy to deploy, but do not always update to the latest versions. And of course, some apps simply don't exist, and some are better integrated into OMV than others, so mileage may vary.
    - I find that docker containers are fiddly to deploy, and not very easy to backup or update. They are probably great of enterprise IT where you want massive virtualization, but for a home user, Docker requires some learning and a lot of trial and error.
    - VMs use up more resources, but are comparitively more versatile and easier to backup.

You also don't necessarily need to run everything in OMV. You could also set up OMV as a VM, running alongside a bunch of other VMs containing your other apps in a hypervisor (like ESXI or Proxmox).

So really it all depends on what you want to achieve.

• @Nibb31

Thanks for the reply. I wanted php7 because I was using it before with nginx since I was on Ubuntu 16.04. I had a reverse proxy with nginx for all my web apps with ssl setup via let's encrypt. So I wanted to reproduce this since I have most of the config backed up. The apps I need to setup are sonarr, Radarr, Ombi, plexpy, convos, Maria db, sickrage, deluge, Syncthing, organizr, jackett, cardigann, filebot and guacamole. On my second machine, i want to put mergerfs, snapraid and plex.

Docker seems to be complicated depending on the application. If i were to install php7 beside php5.6,would that cause issues?

I plan on setting up a vm with windows to run Japanese media manager since it only runs on windows.

• I still don't see why you would need php7. Most of the apps you list will work fine with php5.6

I strongly recommend not to install php7 in a Debian Jessie (which is what OMV is based on)

• @Nibb31I will try without it, i prefer not complicated my life :)

How about nginx, is there a way to import my conf files into the nginx plugin interface. I assume i need to make a pool in the pool tab or it is not necessary if i have the pool info configured in the conf file already?

• The whole point of OMV is to set all that stuff up in UI. So you set up pools and most settings in the UI, including Let's Encrypt and SSL. Then you can add extra parameters (like reverse proxies) in the extra options. Setting up Let's Encrypt with a reverse proxy is fiddly, if that's what you want to do.

If you want to import your stuff directly, it might be better to just set up a VM with your own nginx, php7, and the applications that require php7.

• The whole point of OMV is to set all that stuff up in UI. So you set up pools and most settings in the UI, including Let's Encrypt and SSL. Then you can add extra parameters (like reverse proxies) in the extra options. Setting up Let's Encrypt with a reverse proxy is fiddly, if that's what you want to do.

If you want to import your stuff directly, it might be better to just set up a VM with your own nginx, php7, and the applications that require php7.

Thanks, i think i will rethink omv for my apps server, i will use it for my storage server for sure so i can use MergerFS + snapraid. Since i cant use port 80 where i live, i cant use the letsencrypt plugin.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!