New to OMV, GUI or web interface?

• ok, take a deep breath and let it out.
    now as you come down a bit :)
    let's start.

First thing first: if you did a new install and I am assuming you have a running system with a login prompt now,
    login using default user/password.
    default values are root/openmediavault all lower case.
    this should get you inside your box.

now, to find out your current IP as it should be DHCP assigned, you can type
    "ip add sh" press {Enter} this will give you information on your nic setup including your IP.

second since you already there, you can type "omv-firstaid" press {Enter}
    this will open a window with option where you can configure your network from.
    enter all relative info as it is asked for.
    connection type = static
    address= whatever you want it to be
    bit mask = 255.255.255.0
    gateway = your router IP
    DNS server = your router IP and google IP space separated

that should be it. once it applies the changes it will restart the network and you should be able to go to the browser and use your new IP to connect.

PS> all steps above can be done using WebUI using the DHCP IP you find in first step.
    there 2 caveat there,
    one is that to login to WEBUI you use user admin not root as you would in CLI. same password though...
    and the other is, once you change your IP you loose the web session and need to reopen the browser using the new IP.

PPS>> when you get the chance and will be rebooting your server, go into BIOS setup and find your boot order setup.
    change the boot order to boot from USB/CD/HDD in that order. this way it will find the USB key first and will not bother you with needless manipulation with hard drives.
    also I believe in supermicro the boot override key is F12 during boot.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

Once I changed the IP settings, I could not access the system again.

Are you sure the system ip address you are choosing is not being used by another device?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Are you sure the system ip address you are choosing is not being used by another device?

Yes, I even checked the list of connected devices on my router to make sure.

Right now, my router only lists two devices connected via lan, my main PC and another IP, one which is different than what I was trying to assign to the Supermicro server. When I enter that IP into my browser, I get this https://i.imgur.com/X4Gdilq.png which is odd since the server I am trying to set up the static IP on is turned off, unplugged and disconnected from the lan. That could be my Norco server which has a Supermicro motherboard but the IP I assigned to it is different than the IP currently showing in my router. I am stumped by this. I don't know if this is relevant or not.

• Do you have several Ethernet connectors on your server?
    One connector might be for some sort of Supermicro management console, whereas OMV mount be trying to use another network interface.

• it looks like SuperMicro IPMI console.
    couple of questions:
    in your last message did you say that the server you want OMV on was disconnected form network?
    so the IP you type into browser was the one showing in your router list, right.
    well here is the possible scenario, most(if not all) server grade SM boards have IPMI by default.
    on older MB the IPMI was an add-on card that plugged in into special slot, but most later model have it built in. some MB have a dedicated port for it as in your MB docs will list ,say 2 network adapters, but MB will have 3 ethernet ports. if that is the case then the third port is IPMI only. meaning if you want to use IPMI and network you need 2 cables connected to the machine, one in true network port and one into IPMI port.
    quite a few MB today have what is called a shared port. that is even if you do have a dedicated ipmi port one of the network ports can also be used for both network AND IPMI at the same time. so you can have a single wire connecting the server to the network and use both network and IPMI over that port. usually port-0 is used for that option. keep in mind though that while you may be using single port you will have 2(!) IP on that port. one is set in BIOS for IPMI use and one is set in your OS for network use.

one more thing to understand is that some routers will not show devices with static IP on the active device list. I have come across this stupidity with one of my old cheap tp-link router. in the main devices table it would only show devices that have been addressed using it's own DHCP service, as in any DHCP address and reserved addresses. no static IPs set on device it self would show up. had to go into connection logs or something like that to actually see any details on static address.
    depending on the router you may need to look in some other setting info or logs, to see ALL devices on the network. like maybe the DNS usage log or something.

also, FYI, IPMI is always on. if the machine is plugged in into power and connected to network you can always reachit via IPMI IP address. AND some IPMI maybe set to not to show in the DNS/DHCP lists and even not to respond to pings. so while you may be able to connect if you type the IP into client (IPMIView or browser) you may not find it by any other means, like scanning or pinging.

• That IP that is showing in my router must be the Norco because it shows up regardless of if the Supermicro is on and connected or not.

The Supermicro server has two ethernet ports. I was only using "eth0" but after reading your post I decided to use both. In OMV, I set up a static IP on "eth1" and left "eth0" as it was.

I still can not access the system on the static IP I set up but can access it on the DHCP assigned IP. The static IP I entered does not even show up in my routers list of connected devices.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong or what the problem could be?

• would you mind posting some info for us?

#1. Make / Model of your Router (I see from one of your posts it D-Link but nice to have a model)
    #2. Make / Model and config of your Norco MB
    2.1. number of Ethernet ports and number of ports in-use.
    also OS installed
    #3. same as #2 but for your target OMV server setup. (again I deduce from earlier post you have 2 nic ports and only one is in use currently)

#4. Post exactly what values you put in for network config in OMV
    #5. post your router DHCP range and the IP you see in it that you assume is from Norco.

Now ...... that said :

A lot of consumer grade routers , and plenty of enterprise grade router have really SH#^Y interface when it come to display information.
    many if not most will not display Static IPs in the list.
    this presents a problem in two way, first of all it is difficult to see all the devices on the network if you need it, and second if you not careful you might end up with duplicate IP on the network if your static address intersects with your DHCP range.

So , first thing first :
    Login to your router, and adjust your DHCP scope/range to start with a higher number.
    if you kept the default settings the range would be 192.168.x.2 - 192.168.x.254
    0 and 255 are reserved for broadcasting and 1 is the IP of your router.

that said you have 2 options here
    option 1. go all manual, and adjust the DHCP range to start with higher number.
    if you have more clients with static ids than you have/need dynamic
    set the range 192.x.x.100 or 151 -192.x.x.254 this would give you almost 100-150 address you can use for static needs.
    BUT it also means that your router will not show them in the list.

option 2 . find out if your router can provide address reservations
    and simply reserve the addresses using port MAC address on the router DHCP scope.
    it gives you several things, you do not need to mess with any settings on any client anymore
    you can actually reserve the address for your devices even before you connect them (all/most devices provide MAC address on the sticker or accompanied documentations) or you can simply connect the device grab the MAC and use that after the fact.
    you will always get the same IP on the device as long as the Nic card with proper MAC is still working
    regardless of OS or config in use.
    you eliminate the issue with duplicate IPs as any device coming in with static IP that is on reserved list will not be permitted on the network.

• #1 - D-Link DIR-855L 855 Emulator
    #2 - Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O
    2.1 - 3 ports, 1 in use, I think it is the one above the USB ports. OmniOS (OpenSolaris) and Napp-it.
    3# - Supermicro X8DTH-IF
    4# - Connection - Static
    IP - 192.168.100.71
    Mask - 255.255.255.0
    GW - 192.168.0.1
    DNS - 192.168.0.1 I have also trued leaving this blank.
    5# - 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 This is the default range for this model.

The link I have bookmarked for my Norco is 192.168.0.100:81. Should I have setup/be specifying a specific port for the OMV server as well? My router is fairly new and I have not powered up my Norco since swapping routers.

My router does support IP reservations. If all else fails, I could use that method.

• OK, let review and clear a few things up.

if I read your post(s) correctly.
    your norco server is OFF so nothing is running.
    why do you think you are using port 81 (192.168.0.100:81) ?
    but that is not important.
    I already see the problem and it is simple. you are using wrong subnet on the static address.

here is a layout:
    your router subnet is 192.168.0.0/24 as in 192.168.1.0-192.168.0.255 subnet 255.255.255.0
    subnet range is 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 and DHCP range is 192.x.x.100-192.x.x.199
    with router address 192.168.0.1 (same as the gateway as your router IS your gateway)
    your available out of DHCP range addresses are 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99 AND 192.168.0.200 - 254

and what do you try to use for your static address ?! 192.168.100.71 where it should be
    192.168.0.71. you are using wrong subnet segment.

that's one.

second, the MB in both your norco and new server have a dedicated IPMI port.
    that is the port above the USB ports. the LAN ports are the one to the right LAN0 and LAN1 repressively going from left to right.
    I am not 100% sure but your issue may be that you need to use one of the LAN ports instead of IPMI port. or use the port 81 as it is on the Norco case.

here what I would try,
    first use the LAn port to begin with
    use proper IP address
    and see if it works.

if it works you are good.

if you do want to use IPMI, get a good switch with enough connections to plug all your machines in.
    i.e. at least 2 cables from each of the servers (one for IPMI and one for LAN)
    your router (from one of your routers LAN ports to the switch ) and if you have anything else.

it seems your Norco case have IPMI turned on and set to DHCP , but your new server does not or it is using different subnet. check it in your BIOS and set up accordingly.
    once it is on and configured you should see it in your router list as well.

if you are going with reserved IP instead of static adjust your dhcp range say from 192.168.0.20 to 200
    that leaves you 18 address from 192.168.0.2 - to 18 in lower range and 54 in upper range

FYI: the upper range 201-254 is left out usually for IP security cameras. that is most used default IP range used in many security system setups for surveillance
    the lower range is arbitrary and is up to you. you want it use it, not just set your DHCP to start from 2.

ALSO, not sure on what you know about IPMI but it is used to fully control your server remotely without a need to connect monitor or keyboard to the server directly.
    that is you can fully setup the server including installing the OS from any workstation on you network that has proper IPMI client installed. in fact you can do a lot of things even without the client but using WebUI built in into the server module itself. as I haven't used newer boards yet I can not be sure but my older MB have some problem with connecting remote drives with WebUI and since my workstation PC runs Linux, the IPMIView client I have have similar issues. that is I can not install OS or use drives not directly connected to the server. while windows PC also have issue passing local drives via WebUI, the windows IPMIView client has no such shortcoming and works as expected.
    your newer boards may have fixed this problems.
    other than that as I said you can fully administer this servers from your Workstation that is including shutting down, rebooting and anything else you need to do, as if you where using monitor and keyboard directly attached to them. IPMI run as separate module and give you access to the machine lowest level, even BIOS setup. try it :)

• Thanks for all your help. I guess I just didn't understand the IP configuration as well as I thought I did. I managed to get it working by entering a proper IP address of 192.168.0.90.

Correct, my Norco server is turned off and not running. I have no idea why it is setup on port 81, I think was what Napp-it required although I don't really remember, it was a nearly two years ago when I set it up.

So what good is IPMI and what can I do with it that I can't do through the OMV webUI?

Also, what is the point in using more than one ethernet port especially since I am just going to be using SMB? Can my transfer speeds be increased by using all 3 ports? How does that work?

As it turns out, the IPMI port on the OVM machine was not plugged in. All three are now plugged into an 8 port switch which is connected to my router. I plan on setting up a proper home network later on.

Lastly, thanks for the info regarding IP camers, that is useful information since I plan on installing those at a later date as well.

• Thanks for all your help. I guess I just didn't understand the IP configuration as well as I thought I did. I managed to get it working by entering a proper IP address of 192.168.0.90.

that is a good news :-), now you can be on your way to proper setup of OMV.

Correct, my Norco server is turned off and not running. I have no idea why it is setup on port 81, I think was what Napp-it required although I don't really remember, it was a nearly two years ago when I set it up.

since the server is off and yet the link still brings you to IPMI interface I assume that as you are using the dedicated port if IP is used without the port specifics (port 80 is assumed default on http://) it will bring you to IPMI page always, and port 81 redirection will pass through to the server OS once it is up and running. you can test that when you bring it online.

So what good is IPMI and what can I do with it that I can't do through the OMV webUI?

well it is a bit different animal altogether. OMV webUI allows you to run and manage the server remotely once it is installed and configured. without needs for CLI as much as possible.
    but to get there you need to install the OS first.
    IPMI allows you to manage the server remotely using webUI or Special IPMI client , but as if you are sitting right at the server console. imagine bringing the server to server room, plug in the power and network into it , no monitor, no keyboard/mouse needed. don't even need to turn it on,
    then go onto your workstation load up the ip scanner and find new IP. connect to it and now you can

turn on the server and see the BIOS/boot process as if you use local monitor and keyboard.
    go into the BIOS and configure it as needed.
    attache cd/dvd rom or usb disk from your workstation or even ISO from your workstation to your server
    and install OS (the very own OMV) on it from your desk just like you did but not actually seating at the server rack. for example my server is in the basement. I have no place to sit there, no desk nothing. it is so much nicer to do this form my PC in my office room. in my case I still need to connect the drives physically as my server is very old and IPMI has problems working with Linux when remote connecting drives. but everything else works as expected. I cant even imagine what I will do if I have to switch to MB without IPMI now :)

you get used to good things very fast...

Also, what is the point in using more than one ethernet port especially since I am just going to be using SMB?

not sure if you need to use more than one port in your setup, but as I said before, some times when you have a dedicated IPMI port it is not working as passthrough port. maybe on newer MB is does , but on my server IPMI port is fully dedicated, it is not even shows up as available ETH port
    all I can see is 2 eth ports 0 and 1. on some boards the IPMI can be run in shared mode as in if you plug in both the IPMI and eth0 the IPMI will run in dedicated mode and eth0 will run as lan mode.
    your system should only see 2 lan ports total.

and since you saying the IPMI port was not plugged in hence you did not see a strange new IP on your router, as it would surely picked up the DHCP one.
    again not sure about what are you long term plans for all this hardware, but if you ever decide you want virtualisation, and your Norco is similar in specs with this server, you can load both of them with Proxmox and have a nice 2 node cluster setup and use the second link for DRDB sync.

thanks for the info regarding IP camers, that is useful information since I plan on installing those at a later date as well.

you are welcome. you do realise that there is no requirements for you to use the last address range for cameras. it is just most of the time nowadays lots of devices use the last address as default houping the your net range never fills up to use it. and you do need to re-assign the device to new address once installed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!