New to OMV, GUI or web interface?

• I just installed OMV yesterday. The installation was easy. I don't know how to open the OMV application or access it as I am not familiar with command line interfaces. From Debian root, how do I open OMV or access it via a web browser?

• Offizieller Beitrag

http://omv-ip-address/
    username: admin
    password: openmediavault

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do I find out what the local IP address is?

There are many ways:
    - Look on the screen if you have one attached to OMV
    - Login locally and type ifconfig
    - Look on your router's management page (not going to explain this one)

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• would you mind describing your setup and process you used to install the OMV amongst other things.
    by setup I do mean hardware config,
    did you install it from local console (the box has keyboard and screen attached)
    remotely(the box has IPMI and you connect remotely)
    this is a VM you use for testing which constitutes as local console.

what did you use to install OMV?
    a CD or a USB drive, an ISO image for VM , installed on running Debian system.

how literate are you with Linux?

this might help people provide better help for you.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• There are many ways:- Look on the screen if you have one attached to OMV
    - Login locally and type ifconfig
    - Look on your router's management page (not going to explain this one)

-The screen did not show any address only some copyright/disclaimer info and root@openmediavault-1:~#
    - I am familiar with that command but I did not think that a Windows command would work.
    - Good suggestion, thanks.

My system is a Supermicro CSE-847A-RL1400LPB with a Supermicro X8DTE, Xeon 5650 and 24GB RAM.
    I Did a local install using a monitor and keyboard, this is not a VM. I installed from a USB flash drive.

I am very literate with Windows and somewhat with Ubuntu and can pretty much figure anything out on any OS on my own so long as it has a GUI. I am a little tiny bit literate with the Windows command prompt but have no experience with Linux/Unix CLI's. I use Napp-it on another system and am familiar with its web interface. I had a local Linux guru install OmniOS and Napp-it (which wasn't easy even for him).

• ok ,than...

#1 you confused windows "iPConfig" with Linux "iFConfig" :)
    have done it myself number of time, typing ifconfig in windows and getting error and vice versa.

in Linux you actually now have 2 commands
    "ifconfig" and "ip add show" first give you all network info second needs parameters to know what you want
    i.e. command "ip" parameter "add"(address) second param "show"
    either way it will give you list of info with IP setup on the system.

now for some basic info, OMV is essentially a NAS OS designed to be run headless, that is after initial install you can pretty much disconnect monitor and keyboard from it and do everything from a remote system via SSH for command line and webUI.

so now that you have your IP you can logout from the machine shutdown the monitor and go to any other workstation.
    if you use windows as primary OS you will need a good browser (I prefer Chrome but you can use anything you like)
    and a terminal emulator like putty or mobaXterm(like this oner very much!).

open browser and navigate to "https:\\<your OMV IP address>" , may get warning about security just click ok.
    the default login on new install is user: admin password: openmediavault

that gets you to the webUI. first thing first, change the admin password to whatever you like.
    change IP to static so you always know what IP you need.
    enjoy.

FYI > if you do have problems with web UI or something but still can get to SSH you have a utility called "omv-firstaid" that you can run from CLI to help you with some basic configuration fixes.
    you can also run it from local console(with keyboard and monitor attached to the box directly ).
    that helps sometimes.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• So I f'ed up and when changing to a static IP, I messed up and left the gateway blank. Now I can not access OMV and my attempts to change it are not working.

I have tried # route add default gw 192.168.0.1 but I still can not access OMV and when I try to access /etc/network/interfaces it is saying permission denied.

• OK I really really f'ed up. So I could not figure out how to fix the issue from the root command prompt and I got antsy so I decided to just reinstall OMV but I count not figure out how to boot from the USB drive. Before, I was using a bran new SSD and the system automatically booted from USB. Hitting F11, the boot menu only listed the SSD or some network location. So I decided to take the SSD, put it into one of my laptops as a second drive and delete the Debian partitions. When I put it back in my server, it refused to do anything after post, just got the blinking underscore. So now I have a drive that for whatever reason, I can't use. The only way I could get the server to boot from the USB drive was to unplug it and then plug it back in after it boots OMV from the USB drive but doing this, the drive does not show up later in the list of available drives to install to. Luckily, I had multiple new SSD's to use so I put in a new unused SSD and reinstalled OMV. Then on my windows PC, I navigated to OMV via webUI and went to change the IP address to static, I entered the desired IP address, the subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and the default gateway of 192.168.0.1. I managed to brick another installation. I cannot access OMV via the IP address I gave it and I am back to where I started. I am freaking the F out, this is not helping my depression...

Sorry for the huge wall of text. I know I am an idiot.

• First things first - if you can access OMV locally, you can login using a keyboard and the command line credentials: "root" and the password you entered while installing OMV. After that login, you can simply type in omv-firstaid to do some helpful things such as resetting IP address to DHCP.

I highly suggest to set a static IP through the WebIF. Not through any config file.

• First things first - if you can access OMV locally, you can login using a keyboard and the command line credentials: "root" and the password you entered while installing OMV. After that login, you can simply type in omv-firstaid to do some helpful things such as resetting IP address to DHCP.

I highly suggest to set a static IP through the WebIF. Not through any config file.

Thanks for the help.

My attempts to setup a static IP was through the webUI, which I somehow managed to severely f up.

• If it is the same subnet, the only thing need to make sure is no other device is using the IP address. I have a fritzbox and it usually starts offering IPs from ...20 to ...200. Therefore I use the IPs from ...2 to 20 for static devices.

• Wouldn't it be easier to set the fixed IP in the DHCP settings of your Fritzbox ? It's usually safer to it that way, because if you change your router/box or need connect to another network, you will still be able to get a connection. Hardwiring the network settings and IP address on the device is more error-prone and can lock you out.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!