New Media Server build (feedback welcome)

• So I wanted to update this thread since there is a lot of buzz around AMD's Threadripper and using it to build NAS's. I haven't seen much since its on the newer side, but how does it stack up against Xeon? Also, I'm probably going to be moving soon, so I want to really plan out the build of my NAS, does anyone think its better to go the rack route and build one to house it, or is it better to just build a standalone server? I do plan on having a home theater setup, and I do know that the pros usually build racks for components didn't know if it was better to just rack-mount a new server build.

Opinions are welcome. I'm targeting a NAS build of about 8 drives (size between 6 to 10 TB each depending on my budget, and of course using some of those drives for redundancy), eventually to stream 4k to a wired nvidia Shield on my main TV and lesser quality feeds to the Fire Stick TVs I have scattered around the house. Currently have a gigabit router with a gigabit switch with Cat5e in the rooms that would be wired.

Thoughts? Opinions? I liked the Xeon route for the KVM headless access, but I suppose its not a deal breaker. Server would be used for more than just OMV, would be automating a lot of apps (Sonarr, Radarr, etc) and running VMs for website development.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!