New Media Server build (feedback welcome)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought the shield could natively decode 4k (h265)?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It very well could. I guess my question comes more from not understanding how the encoding/decoding works from a server. All of my rips are in MKV mostly, eventually my 4k rips will be in h265 as well, so I know its a constraint of the bandwith to the Fire Stick's because of them being wireless, the server could do the heavy lifting, but I think the bandwith would be my bottleneck, is that correct?

So I guess the bottom line question is this, if the nvidia shield can natively decode 4k that would be streamed from my server, do I need that crazy beefy motherboard, or should I consider something non-Xeon related?

• Offizieller Beitrag

the server could do the heavy lifting, but I think the bandwith would be my bottleneck, is that correct?

If you can stream 4k over the internet, good wireless should be able to handle it too.

do I need that crazy beefy motherboard, or should I consider something non-Xeon related?

If you don't transcode, you won't need it. It might be cheaper to buy firetvs (not sticks) instead of expensive server board. Just about any modern cpu can stream a few 4k streams that aren't transcoded. I have all of my firetv's wired and my Celeron J1800 box running OMV has no problem streaming HD to five+ devices.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• rye,

OK so if I am not going to go with the Xeon board, what would you recommend for my usage of what I want to do with the box? ECC RAM is a must and of course as discussed streaming HD/4k to my TVs. Definitely want a CPU that can handle some load as I might want to do more than just media streaming with it (running VMs, other OMV plugins, etc)

- Aitrus

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are going to have VMs, I would look at e3 xeons on a supermicro or asrock rack motherboard.

• rye,

Have you done anything with link aggregation on any servers you have built (or know anyone who has)? The issue with my current Synology is that its capped at 30mb/sec, but I'd like to fully saturate from my new server to utilize the gigabit switch that I have.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you done anything with link aggregation on any servers you have built

I haven't since my switch doesn't support it but plenty of people on the forum have. On the other hand, my servers have no problem saturating gigabit.

• Is there a tutorial somewhere on setting up SnapRAID and MergerFS for OMV specifically? Also a question in relation to that about pooling the drives. So I read that SnapRAID can support up to 6 drives, so if I had 6 total drives for the "pool", I should have a parity drive OUTSIDE of the pool correct? And does SnapRAID/MergerFS have a tolerance of only losing a single drive? Never worked witha JBOD array before, only traditional RAID setups.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a tutorial somewhere on setting up SnapRAID and MergerFS for OMV specifically?

SnapRAID Plugin Guide
    mergerfs is easy. just add the drives to a pool.

So I read that SnapRAID can support up to 6 drives

6 parity drives. It can handle a lot more drives than 6.

I should have a parity drive OUTSIDE of the pool correct?

I wouldn't put any parity drives in the mergerfs pool.

And does SnapRAID/MergerFS have a tolerance of only losing a single drive?

It can handle the loss of drives equal to the number of parity drives you have. If you lose more than that, you only lose the data on the failed drive.

• rye,

Thanks for that explanation. So say I had 6 drives that make up my pool, and have 2 drives for parity, I could stand to lose 2 drives and recover correct? And as far as the initial setup of the drives, I'm assuming that I setup the drives in the snapraid first, then install mergerfs plugin and tell it what snapraid pool to look at and the 2 drives for parity, is that right? Sorry for the noobish questions, this is a lot different than what I'm used to :)

- Aitrus

• Offizieller Beitrag

So say I had 6 drives that make up my pool, and have 2 drives for parity, I could stand to lose 2 drives and recover correct?

yep. The snapraid manual is very good for explaining how to recover.

I'm assuming that I setup the drives in the snapraid first, then install mergerfs plugin and tell it what snapraid pool to look at and the 2 drives for parity, is that right?

The plugins really don't know about each and order of configuration doesn't really matter. So, install the plugins. Add the six drives and two parity drives to snapraid. Then add the six drives to a mergerfs pool. Other plugins should use the mergerfs pool but not snapraid.

• rye,

Perfect that's awesome info, I think I understand it now. Now I just need to figure out how much money I need to save up to build this beast :) So if I wasn't going to run VMs off the server and only used it for media streaming, autodownloading (with Sonarr, Radarr, etc), do you recommend going with a much cheaper Intel board, if I could still do everything ungimped with my larger 4k streams in the future?

- Aitrus

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you recommend going with a much cheaper Intel board, if I could still do everything ungimped with my larger 4k streams in the future?

A cheaper system would work. If you had an old desktop system laying around, you could try it.

• nope, SnapRaid can support more then 6 drives, unless you mean 6 parity drives than yes it can only support hexa parity. 6 parity drives for up to 42 data disks with multi drive failure protection
    and I am sure you can go beyond recommended numbers
    Snapraid works different. here is some basic explanation from SnapRaid FAQ page

for Single parity disk you can protect 2 to 4 data disks with a single disk failure protection.
    for 5 and more you need at least 2 parity disks.
    hence with single parity setup would be 3 to 5 disks where 1 is dedicated to parity.
    as in 1p + 2d or 1p+3d or 4d
    also Parity disk MUST be the largest in the set. as in, if you use 2TB disks for data the parity MUST be at least 2TB or larger.

1/Single Parity/RAID52 - 4
    2/Double Parity/RAID65 - 14
    3/Triple Parity15 - 21
    4/Quad Parity22 - 28
    5/Penta Parity29 - 35
    6/Hexa Parity36 - 42

furthermore, while you can pool drives into single volume using SnapRaid it is mostly recommended to use other pooling software like mergerfs or a like.

in OMV all of this can be setup using plugins from the webUI.

install SnapRaid plugin and unionfilesystem plugin. from omv-extras

configure snapraid as you want. all is done from omv WebUI.
    than configure unionfilesystem pool (version 3. and up only uses MergerFS for the pool)

each is totally independent from each other and can be setuped in any order you want, you just need to remeber that you should not be using parity drives with in the mergerfs pool.
    so if you have 6 disks and you will be using 2 of them for parity, just skip them when building the pooled volume.

what I do is I give my disks label like dX or dataX for data drives and pX or parX for parity drives where "X" is the number of the disk.
    so my setup looks like
    disk p1,p2,d1,d2,d3,d4
    mergerFs volume pool all d[1234] into single volume "maindata"

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• vl,

Thanks for that breakdown, I understand the setup now a lot better thanks to you and rye's breakdown for me. So the plan is to have 6 data drives, 2 for parity for peace of mind. All will be the same size drives, whatever that ends up being. Is there an easy way to know which hard drive that shows in OMV is associated to which physical drive? Just want to know how I isolate a failed drive and know which to replace.

- Aitrus

• I would say when you get your drives, record the drives Serial numbers
    than once plugged in CLI blkid will give you the data you need.
    maybe something on WebUI disks page will help also.
    depending on your case, try also record where each drives is located within the case.
    I have the SM 846 24 disk hot plug chassis , each is numbered so I can find things easy enough.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• So I've specced out a "wish list" build for this system, I'd love some feedback: http://a.co/6aqCf9r

So what I have in the house, to reiterate:
    - Fire Stick TVs
    - Nvidia Shield TV (2017 model)

Shield is hardwired to a gigabit switch, the Fire Stick TVs are obviously wireless. Eventually I'm looking to stream 4k from the server I build (even if I can only stream 4k to the hardwired ones that's fine too). So my question is for the system I specced out, its obviously built to do the heavy lifting, is that the most optimal way to take the pressure off the Fire Stick/Nvidia, or should I build a much less beefy NAS and let the clients do most of the work? Also would use this server for more than just file sharing/streaming, with the amount of RAM and processor power, probably run some VMs off it as well.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys, love this community, I'm learning so much.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want 4k streaming with a hw capable kodi client I can recommend my box which is a beelink mini with s905x soc. It has hdr support also. Disadvantage is that it has fast Ethernet. I haven't encountered any issues with my 4k samples, but if you ever have bandwidth problems there is known a USB gigabit Ethernet adapter that it has been tested to reach 35MB/s more than an enough for high bitrate 4k videos.
    Brand is not really important as there many brands shipping boxes with the s905x soc.
    Look at the libreelec amlogic forum section.

• If you want 4k streaming with a hw capable kodi client I can recommend my box which is a beelink mini with s905x soc. It has hdr support also. Disadvantage is that it has fast Ethernet. I haven't encountered any issues with my 4k samples, but if you ever have bandwidth problems there is known a USB gigabit Ethernet adapter that it has been tested to reach 35MB/s more than an enough for high bitrate 4k videos.
    Brand is not really important as there many brands shipping boxes with the s905x soc.
    Look at the libreelec amlogic forum section.

Can this be flashed to run libreleec? Or will is just run a Kodi app?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!