SMBD saturates CPU

• Offizieller Beitrag

Donh, both Local master server" and "Wins" are disabled. I'll try the stuff around smbstatus more and report here ASAP
    Geaves, what you describe happened to me Friday: after rebooting both servers the issue disappeared. I just realized tonight that it came again ;(
    Thx!

Ok, you tried that option in the smb conf file (smb deadtime - 0) on OMV, does your other server run samba? Mine did so I entered that in both smb conf files. @donh is correct in suggesting using wireshark. When everything is running smoothly the smbstatus will display what machines are connected and what they are connected too.....as yours is empty it relates to an error, possibly something similar to that on the bugzilla link.

Having set the smb log to debug this was part of the output from my original setup....

smbd[31743]: [2017/04/28 09:39:35.497405, 2, pid=31743, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)] ../source3/smbd/server.c:443(remove_child_pid)
    Apr 28 09:39:35 nas4free smbd[31743]: Could not find child 94592 -- ignoring
    Apr 28 09:40:35 nas4free smbd[31743]: [2017/04/28 09:40:35.516441, 2, pid=31743, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)] ../source3/smbd/server.c:443(remove_child_pid)

and this went on and on and on.......is there an option in smb to set a debug log? It may give more information. Be warned the debug option does increase resource use.

• Just signed up to say I'm seeing this problem too. I'm running an up to date OMV 3 server with Ubuntu clients and when the Ubuntu clients wake from sleep the servers CPU goes to 100%. If I reboot the clients the issue goes away, I can't test on Windows or MacOS as all the PC's in our house are Ubuntu based.

In my case I think this bug is caused by the Ubuntu clients, probably something at the kernel level.

• I have the same issue. Load is high, smbd being the culprit:

top - 10:37:53 up 3 days, 2:12, 1 user, load average: 2.40, 2.17, 2.12
    Tasks: 128 total, 4 running, 124 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    %Cpu(s): 17.4 us, 69.6 sy, 0.0 ni, 9.9 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 3.0 si, 0.0 st
    KiB Mem: 3092772 total, 2894932 used, 197840 free, 904640 buffers
    KiB Swap: 223228 total, 37260 used, 185968 free. 1480880 cached Mem

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND

1467 root 20 0 284924 12564 10236 S 34.6 0.4 1572:09 smbd

• This was similar to my problem...it would make sense why your smbstatus returned empty, in my case I had a nas and a media server which accessed the nas via symlinks. I started getting high cpu from smdb and couldn't work it out.If I rebooted the nas the problem went away only for it to reappear, but the interesting part was no connections showed in smbstatus....the only way I got over the problem if the nas running smdb was restarted the I had to restart the media as well, this stopped the high cpu and smbstatus populated with the current connections, including any windows machines.

I never found a complete solution, but reboot one, reboot the other stopped it.

This is funny. I have the same setup: NAS on OMV and a media server that connects to some shares. I could not get cpu load to drop, smbstatus was empty. Rebooted the media server: all is well!

• Can confirm the same problems.

After Migrating my system from OMV2 to a fresh system using OMV3 and rebooting for the first time,

iam currently encountering
    constant 50% CPU usage of /usr/sbin/smbd

-----EDIT-----

Okay okay made a stupid mistake... I didn't decrypt all devices which are shared via SMB...
    After decrypting all devices and restarting SMB everything is normal...

Seems like my machines trying to access an non existing SMB share (because still encrypted) pushed the CPU usage to that level...
    ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have seen this when there are remote clients connected to the share. Rebooting helps because it disconnects the client which might be caching the version of samba it is connected to?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi gents,
    I reckon I have found the solution. I upgraded my two other virtual machines (one server and one client) that are connected to OMV through SMB to kernel 4.11. No more problems and I've been running like that for many days now.
    Enjoy,
    Tugdual

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!