OMV 3 stuck on reboot

• Hi everyone,

if I try to restart my NAS from within the web GUI it gets stuck on shutdown. The screen just displays these two lines:

Code
    watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!
    reboot: Restarting system

Then I have to reset the NAS with the hardware power button. :/ Directly after booting, rebooting works, however.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this? How can I investigate it?

Best,
    Aiakos

• Offizieller Beitrag

What type of system?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Motherboard is an ASRock N3150-ITX

I would update the bios to the latest version and check the bios settings.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I just checked: The UEFI is up to date. What settings would you recommend me to look after?

I don't think that this is a BIOS / UEFI issue. If I just recently booted the system, the reboot works just fine. So it must be something in debian that only comes if the system is running too long. (Whatever 'too long' means in this case.^^)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recommended the bios upgrade because manufacturers update their acpi implementation sometimes. Reboot issues are usually acpi related. Normally, I would say update the kernel but you are already using the 4.9 kernel. So, some bioses have power/reboot settings. I would just check those out. If it only has the problem on long uptime, that is strange. You could try a different kernel I guess but not sure what else to try. I might check the memory with memcheck as well.

• I have this problem for a long time already, but so far the degree of suffering was not bad enough to look into it. As far as I remember the problem also occurred with earlier kernels and also with OMV 2.

I took a look at /etc/syslog and /etc/messages. The latter one does not contain any logs about the shutdown, however syslog does have some entries about stopping services. I saved the log in order to compare it with future logs. Is there a way to make Debian more verbose about the shutdown / reboot sequence?

• So far I have saved 4 syslogs of a normal shutdown / reboot and 1 syslog of a shutdown where the system got stuck.

Normal:

Stuck:

The only real difference between the two logs are the 5 lines at the end of the log where the system got stuck:

Code
    systemd[1]: Stopping Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack...
     systemd[1]: Stopping D-Bus System Message Bus...
     systemd[1]: Stopping ACPI event daemon...
     systemd[1]: Stopping System Logging Service...
     systemd[1]: Starting folder2ram systemd service...

I was not able to find these lines in any of the logs, where the system shut down normally. Does this mean anything?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!