OMV 3.X versus OMV 2.X; "Growing" a RAID 5 array

• Got it going. Thanks guys.

Yes definitely have all the important stuff backed up, like pics and documents. Most of it is media and I sync pretty regularly with a buddy.

I might step up to RAID 6 just for a little more peace of mind.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are "should"s in the statement While it should work, it may do something wrong.

The last time I looked at this, which was a couple years ago (OMV 3.X), the mdadm RAID "Grow" button added a drive as a spare. It didn't actually grow the array. There's a thread from that time frame concerning this behavior.

As of the last time I checked OMV 3, (about a year ago) the Grow button would only add a spare.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As of the last time I checked OMV 3, (about a year ago) the Grow button would only add a spare.

It adds the drive and then does two grows - https://github.com/openmediava…ned/rpc/raidmgmt.inc#L308

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It adds the drive and then does two grows - github.com/openmediavault/open…ned/rpc/raidmgmt.inc#L308

In OMV4, I just checked and you're right.

But the user in this thread is still on OMV3

Should I reboot? I'm on OMV3.

I have an OMV3 VM built so I checked it again. As it was before, the "Grow" button adds a drive as a spare (details below) with no option in the GUI to actually grow (as in restripe) the array.

At the time (a couple years ago), I assumed that this was intended behavior - that Dev's (yourself, Volker, etc.) were attempting to discourage growing RAID5 arrays because of the risks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But the user in this thread is still on OMV3

OMV3 does an add then one grow - https://github.com/openmediava…ned/rpc/raidmgmt.inc#L296

At the time (a couple years ago), I assumed that this was intended behavior - that Dev's (yourself, Volker, etc.) were attempting to discourage growing RAID5 arrays because of the risks.

I don't think that was intentional but I honestly don't remember. Just one more reason to upgrade to OMV 4.x.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!