What is the best backup strategy?

• I wonder what the experts have for backup strategy that is malware safe?
    Can you share your strategy?

I have been using this setup:
    1. I have a 500Gb "data" folder on my computer as primary data storage.
    2. Daily DeltaCopy job on computer send "data" to OMV Rsync server "DeltaCopy" shared folder.
    3. "Deltacopy" SMB share is set to read only.
    This is working good and is very fast, but I only have backup of yesterday, and risking malware to be backed up.

Read up on Rsnapshot, and tried it. But i think something is wrong with my setup.
    1. Rsnapshot source is "Deltacopy" shared folder.
    2. Destination is OMV "Rsnapshot" shared folder, on the same disk as "DeltaCopy" shared folder.
    3. "Rsnapshot" SMB share is set to read only.
    I found this unreliable, as the job goes on and on without no work progress info.
    The disk was working for hours, and cpu on 100%.
    This did not make any sense to me, cause it was only a 500gb transfer on the same disk.
    The data was copied, but did take hours.

System:
    OMV 2.2.14
    Intel Core 2 Quad@2.83GHz
    4GB ram
    2TB hdd
    Gigabit Ethernet (get 100 mega bytes per second out of it)

Please advice how you would set up backup with OMV.
    Thanks. :)

• The best strategy is up to you to decide ;) Maybe you can start looking at the 3-2-1 way of having backups; which basically means to have (at least) 3 copies of your data on 2 different devices with 1 device beeing offsite, see https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-3-2-1-backup-strategy/

I'm using rsnapshot without any problems, but I am not copying on the same disk. The first time it runs it will run for a long time as it needs to create a copy of all your data. Then, the next times, it will run much faster as it will only need to copy any changed files. Even if assuming a speed of 100 MB/s, which is a bit high for internal copy on a single harddrive (i.e. not SSD), you will be copying for about 1.5 hours given 500 GB of data. So it is not strange that rsnapshot used hours to complete.

I dont share my snapshot folder in Samba, if I need any files I log into my server using SSH and copy the files I want. I also have local and offsite backups to be able to restore my data in case of disk failure, fire, burglory or other inconveniences that may occur :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!