My updated NAS build! Let me know what you guys think!

• So I had been running an OMV setup on a system built from spare parts I've had lying around since about February. The system is mainly used for NAS and as Plex server for my friends and I. Biggest gripe I had was when there would be multiple transcoded streams at the same time, buffering would occur. With my birthday a few weeks ago, I decided to do some upgrading. Let me know what you guys think!

Old Setup:
    Acer OEM style case
    630W PSU
    Intel E8400 Core Duo Processor
    Budget Gigabyte Mid-Atx Mobo (i think I paid around 45 bucks in 2008 for it)
    2x2GB DDR2 1066 OCZ RAM
    16GB SSD for OMV OS
    3TB HGST Enterprise HDD for Media
    1TB Seagate HDD (for general backups)
    Running OMV 2.x

The New Setup:
    Raid-Max Smilodon Full Size Case (picked it up brand new in box for $20)
    Same 630W PSU
    Intel Xeon X5460 Processor ($14 shipped)
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ATX Mobo ($41 shipped)
    Same RAM
    Same SSD/HDD drives
    Cool Master Evo 212 CPU cooler (X5460 has 120W TDP and I plan to overclock it to 3.5GHz+) $28 shipped
    Running OMV 3.x

So far, this thing is leaps and bounds ahead of what my old setup was capable of. My transcodes in Plex usually run at nearly 6x and temps never get above 48 deg C during load. All in all I am in for around $100 bucks to upgrade this machine, and I couldnt be happier with the results. If you want to see some pictures, check out the album below. It has pictures of the old setup and the new setup for comparison.

http://imgur.com/a/E3yYz

Letme know what you guys think!

• Looks great.

There's something to be said for building your own box, your way. When the performance is stellar, that's the icing on the cake.

Thanks! Yeah I like the actual process of building the box myself. Originally it was just an old machine laying around, but now this thing is bitchin!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!