If my OMV box is powered on, my entire network goes down every few minutes

• I've been having this issue for the past week or so, I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I feel like I've tried everything to resolve it, but so far, no luck. I've been running OMV on an old HP Mediasmart for about 4 years now, and I've never really run into any issues. It's been on OMV 2.x for as long as I can remember, but last week, my entire network started going down every few minutes. By process of elimination, I found out that my OMV box was the cause of the issue. I tried using a different ethernet cable, no luck. Then I tried the cable in a new port on my router, same issue. I've been using a static IP, so just to be safe, I set it back to DHCP, but the problem didn't go away. Ran omv-firstaid, hoping something was just misconfigured, but the problem persisted.

I have a full backup of my share, so I decided to give OMV 3.x a shot. That didn't help. I figured my old HP mediasmart's network card must be failing, so I ordered a USB ethernet adapter. Same issue with that.

All updates are installed, and the only plugins I'm running are sabnzbd, plex, transmission, and the reset permissions plugin.

Any ideas? I feel like I've tried everything.

• It was on 192.168.1.10 on the 2.x install. I set it to the same on 3.x which was a clean install on a new hard drive. When the problem persisted, i changed it to 192.168.1.40, but it is now set to dhcp. One of the last times i had it on, i was able to check my routers webpage to see connected devices, and it was on 192.168.1.14 before the network died.

• Sorry, didn't read your post correctly/completely. Forget this post...

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I still have the old disk with OMV 2, but the reason i installed OMV 3 was because i thought something with my OMV 2 installation was killing my network. I'll pop it back in later and try booting it up again, though.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I really hope I can sort this out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Assuming that this issue doesn't keep the network down permanently:

(After a network drop)
    SSH in and type ifconfig
    Also type ethtool eth0
    Post the output for each.

To cover the external hardware possibilities:
    - Try changing the cable
    - Change the port on the switch or router
    - Try a new switch or router - if you have an extra one.

• I've tried changing the port on my router, and I've tried with a different ethernet cable. I don't have a spare router to test, but everything else runs fine when this particular machine is not connected to it.

I had just enough time to boot the OMV box and ssh in these two commands before it knocked my network down.

Here is ifconfig:

And here is ethtool eth1:

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, the following is based on the assumption that your software protocol stack is OK. That assumption, on my part, is from your stating that the same problem is present in two different builds. OMV 2.x and 3.x
    ______________________________________________________________________________

The NIC is made by Wistron. It's probably an onboard NIC.

There's nothing out of line with what you provided, if your router supports 1GB FD.
    (That is what was negotiated, so I'll assume the router supports 1GB.)

However, I was hoping to get a look at the ifconfig stat's, after a network hit. I realize, with a headless system, this can be problematic. In any case, if you can get in after a network hit (or with a monitor and keyboard), I'll explain what I was looking for.

Ethernet interfaces have no way of reliably checking their own TX side, after the signal is close to the NIC's output amps. Accordingly, seeing TX errors is rare. Error statistics, when they happen, are usually on the receive side of the interface. However, if you see RX packet errors, there's a good chance that the sending interface on the other side of the link (or external interference) may be responsible. This is where an Ethernet loopback plug is useful. If you have a connector and a RJ45 crimp tool, you can make one as shown below.

This is looking at the bottom of the connector->

(Don't plug this into your router. While it will light up the interface, it may cause a broadcast storm which would require a hard power off reset.)

AFTER a hit:
    Get on the CLI and look at the stat's provided by ifconfig. Specifically look at the following lines:

• RX packets:169 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    • TX packets:242 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:
    • collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

- If you see TX error's there' a real good chance that your NIC is shot. (It's registering errors well BEFORE the signal leaves the box.)
    - If you see RX errors, pop in the loopback plug. If you're still seeing errors, it's most likely the NIC. (If there are no errors with the loopback, it's time to look at the other side of the link or for possible interference. BTW: unshielded Ethernet cables, NIC ports, etc., do not like to be close to florescent lights. Copper Ethernet cables should not be run next to AC power cords. Some separation, even if it's just a few inches, is a very good idea.)
    - Collisions: With full duplex, collisions should be a thing of the past. However, if auto-negotiate screws up, you might see them. If you do, set speed and duplex manually. Go with 100mb FD, to be conservative. (Anytime interface speed and duplex changes are made, at a minimum, unplug the cable, wait 10 seconds, and plug it in again. This will trigger a reset of the port on your router which will adjust for the new speed and duplex setting.) Try it again. If you still see collisions, use the loop back plug. With the loopback plug in and with a full duplex setting, if you see collisions, the NIC is toast.

Lastly, if you have an a NIC that's integrated with the MOBO, and it's failing, I wouldn't trust the MOBO.

• sorry for tip, but please revise your SMB settings and post how is "local Master Browser" configured, and try to change, perhaps you have a conflict with same feature on other machines on your LAN

• I had something similar happen one time. Turns out, I had a program that was spamming junk packets out for no reason. Deleted that program, did a fresh install of OMV, and didn't have the issue any more.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had something similar happen one time. Turns out, I had a program that was spamming junk packets out for no reason. Deleted that program, did a fresh install of OMV, and didn't have the issue any more.

Well,, Atarian said it happens with two completely different OMV builds. I hope, for his sake, that it's something with software or a configuration issue because those things could be fixed. If it's an actual hardware problem...

Storms, where you hear the "crackle" in your entertainment system's speakers, can be enough to take out CMOS circuitry.
    It happens all the time and, sometimes, the effect is delayed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any ideas? I feel like I've tried everything.

(Realizing that you may not be able to make a loopback plug.)

One last thing:
    Go to distrowatch.com and get a Live CD of something. (Perhaps you have a favorite Linux distro CD laying around? Noppix?)

Boot up on it, and check it out to see if it's on the network. Setting aside some sort of interference issue, if the behavior repeats, that would be a 99% indicator that the problem is hardware.

I'm curious so let us know what you find.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh man, after a second read of your post, I noticed "HP MediaSmart"!
    If you have either the EX470 or EX475, it's a true headless design. (I have one of them myself. I'm using it as a cold backup.)

Here's to hoping you did the hack and made an SVGA cable for it, so you can boot it with a monitor (and a USB CD or DVD drive).

So, if you didn't mod it for the SVGA cable, how did you get OMV installed?

• Oh man, after a second read of your post, I noticed "HP MediaSmart"!
    If you have either the EX470 or EX475, it's a true headless design. (I have one of them myself. I'm using it as a cold backup.)

Here's to hoping you did the hack and made an SVGA cable for it, so you can boot it with a monitor (and a USB CD or DVD drive).

So, if you didn't mod it for the SVGA cable, how did you get OMV installed?

Totally headless, it's a bit frustrating at times. It wasn't easy to install omv on it, it took a lot of trial and error. I booted my laptop with the omv installation media, and installed omv to a hard drive in a usb enclosure. Then moved that drive to the mediasmart and ran omv-firstaid to reset the network connection blindly. That's why my setup uses eth1 instead of eth0.

I haven't gotten around to making a loopback cable, yet. But i did try something else and got the same result. I decided to try running omv in a virtual machine on my desktop. The install and all updates went fine. So I moved my pool drives to my PC case, and set up the pool and share. It ran great for about a day. Everything was much faster than the mediasmart, too. Plex loaded videos almost instantly. But I got home from work today to find my network down. I shut down the VM, and my network came back up again.

I was trying to rule out the aging mediasmart as the cause of the error. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.

I install OMV, run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. When that finishes, I install any available updates from the updates tab in the web ui. Then set my static IP, mount my pool and set up samba. Install my plugins (sabnzbd, transmission, and plex). I'm not doing anything too complex that I would be messing it up, I don't think.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!