Torrent Client besides deluge and transmissionbt

• I'm looking for a alternative to torrent clients that i have used in the past.

Transmissionbt - just not feature rich enough. basic items i feel were missing
    Deluge - Does a great job but extractor not working the Dev's seem not to care. using execute was a option but i'm not knowledgable to figure it out.

This leaves me with Docker - I used qbitorrent but i always ran into permission issues that i just couldn't solve.

Obviously a gui would help me as that is what i'm used to... any thoughts?

• linuxserver/rutorrent

works great & easy to set up.

make sure you place the config dir outside the docker container so you can edit rtorrent.rc

apart from that it's an easy setup and feature rich..depending on the features you want of course :)

• Deluge have extractor plugin. I was using it.
    Each else client can be installed manually, but IMHO deluge is best available - have all necessary options, plugins and it's lightweight.

Debian 8.6 Jessie + OMV 3.0.latest Kernel: Linux 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400@3GHz
    Memory: 4GB RAM
    OS-HDD: Samsung SSD 120 GB +LVM

Full media and download center configured.

BIG and special thanks for OMV-Extras team for great plug-ins (especially: TeamSpeak, VirtualBox, Sonarr, Radarr, and rest I use :))

------------------------------

Wise guy don't know everything, he can search or ask!
    Don't ask me via PM!

• make sure you place the config dir outside the docker container so you can edit rtorrent.rc

Mind explaining how to do that? I've got the rtorrent/rutorrent docker container running, forwarded the web GUI port to a different one, mapped the shares to the container, but I'd prefer to do the configuration through the .rc file than the rutorrent settings. I'm still testing in a VM, so no issues deleting this image and creating it again if necessary.

• Nothing special. Just as I wrote, make sure you map the config dir to an external folder... like your "downloads" etc.
    I assume you've done that :) just wanted to point it out.

Anything writted in the .rc file will overwrite any webui changes you make anyway.

• Mind explaining how to do that? I've got the rtorrent/rutorrent docker container running, forwarded the web GUI port to a different one, mapped the shares to the container, but I'd prefer to do the configuration through the .rc file than the rutorrent settings. I'm still testing in a VM, so no issues deleting this image and creating it again if necessary.

Oh and you remembered to set PGID & PUID (just read what you wrote about qbittorrent.)

• Nothing special. Just as I wrote, make sure you map the config dir to an external folder... like your "downloads" etc.
    I assume you've done that :) just wanted to point it out.

Anything writted in the .rc file will overwrite any webui changes you make anyway.

Per the container info, the rtorrent.rc file resides at /downloads/, so I could map this directory as follows?

Oh and you remembered to set PGID & PUID (just read what you wrote about qbittorrent.)

Actually I'm not the OP, I wasn't using qbittorrent. I hadn't done this but I'll make sure this time.

• this is my setup of linuxserver/rutorrent

I'm mapping download share & config folder to external folder/drivers.. as you're doing with srv/...... ->/downloads

I don't know the container you're using so can't comment too much on it. If it maps config to downloads then that should be fine.. however the comment I made regarding PGID & PUID are only used with linuxserver containers.. well I've only seen it with those and I tend to look to linuxserver dockers first.

I was using the diameter container simply because it had more stars. I have it completely working, except that torrents won't download after they're imported from the watch folder (so not working at all, then?). They just stay inactive forever, no error messages, but no data being transferred. I'm going to try the linuxserver container and I'll make a thread elsewhere if I still have trouble.

Yup, same issue with the linuxserver container. I can add torrents to the watch folder and they're loaded into the web UI, but even though seeds and peers are detected, I never download any data. Weird. Maybe I'll try on a live install rather than a VM.

Sorry to bother you again. I've looked into this and even chatted with some people on the #docker IRC channel. They seem to think it's a conflict between the bridged Docker network and my own physical network. Was there anything special you had to do in order to prevent any conflicts? My setup looks very similar to the one you inserted in your above post, with the exception of me using different ports than you. Anything I need to do outside of the container settings?

• outside the container no.. can you post a ss of your setup window?

I'm running this inside a VMWare Player VM, which is set to network bridge mode, so the VM is connected directly to my physical network. I assume this is not the issue since OMV has no problems downloading except from within Docker. Can't stretch the window to fit it all in one image:

• And the client in (in)action:

with a nearly untouched rtorrent.rc:

• if your vm is in host mode for the network config then that part should be ok, but we need to make sure that you've opened the correct port/ports in your router.

try this:

http://canyouseeme.org

from your VM or where ever you have your rtorrent instance and input your rtorrent ports... if they light up positive then we need to look elsewhere for the issue.

• if your vm is in host mode for the network config then that part should be ok, but we need to make sure that you've opened the correct port/ports in your router.

Sorry for the delay, I was having some issues with my ISP gateway/router. IPv6 has proven difficult on the Edgerouter, but I went ahead and switched back to it anyway. I'll worry about that later.

Anyway, yes, the ports are (and were) correctly forwarded. Since the VM is connected directly to my network, the ports test open from any machine.

• Sorry for the delay, I was having some issues with my ISP gateway/router. IPv6 has proven difficult on the Edgerouter, but I went ahead and switched back to it anyway. I'll worry about that later.

Anyway, yes, the ports are (and were) correctly forwarded. Since the VM is connected directly to my network, the ports test open from any machine.

Ok, try changing a few things..

Increase your port selection... and move it to another range like 49005 -> 49010 so you have 5 ports dedicated to rtorrent and set rtorrent to select random port.
    Then disable dht & udp.. i've changed the below from your config.

Code
    port_range = 49005-49010
    check_hash = no
    use_udp_trackers = no
    encryption = encryption = allow_incoming,enable_retry,prefer_plaintext
    dht = disable

• Edit - Forgot to specify those ports in the Docker container. Whoops. Testing again. Rtorrent.rc contents in the spoiler.

OK, seems to be the same result. I do see a very low download speed (0.2 kB/sec) but the completion remains at 0% and rutorrent still reports 0 chunks downloaded. Does rtorrent put the torrent in an "inactive" status if the transfer speed doesn't ramp up after a short time?

Also, this weekend my brother is going to drop off an SSD I had given him, so I can install OMV on a live system and dual boot. Maybe the VM is the variable that needs to be eliminated.

• @Symbiot

I have installed OMV 3.0.86 on a real system and the media is transferring from my backup onto the pool. I thought maybe removing the VM from the equation would solve my woes, but I'm still not having any luck. I am considering having all my applications run in Docker, and so far I've been successful, but rtorrent just does not want to cooperate.

And my config:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!