Network Shutdown OMV from APC AP9630 card

• Hi Guys,

Can anyone point me in the right direction here. I have a APC Smart UPS 1000 where I have just installed an APC Network Management card 2 (AP9630) so I can shut down a few small devices connected to it. I have installed the UPS plugin cut cannot see any samples to use for the driver config.

Is using NUT the wrong approach as there is APC remote shutdown SW for Linux.

Thanks.

• driver = usbhid-ups
    port = auto

That's the driver config. Can't help you much on APC as I use mostly Tripp Lite. You will likely be giving up some functions of the APC software by using NUT. It just depends on what features you need/want. You don't have to use the NUT plugin and could install APC software but weigh the pros and cons, they are likely negligible.

• How is the APC unit talking to the OMV to let it know to shutdown if there is a powerloss? If you are using NUT you need to have the usb connected and use the driver I gave above. This lets the OMV, via the APC unit, know there is a power loss and shutdown within the interval you set in the OMV web-gui. Doing this you will still be able to use the web page management card inserted to the APC Smart 1000 provides. If you do not use the NUT plugin and a serial/usb connection you will need to install some software from APC so that the Battery Backup can communicate with the OMV via TCP/IP(via ethernet). After thinking about this with no desktop installed the NUT is really the better option. The software provided by APC probably has a frontend interface for the gnome desktop environment. I'm not sure on this though.

• Connecting the UPS to OMV via USB kinda defeats the whole point of trying to set it up via ethernet/SNMP. The idea is the UPS sends out a SNMP messages over the network that OMV will pick up on and then shut down when the UPS goes onto battery or when the batterys are low. I can see NUT supports SNMP and the documentation does say APC SNMP is supported. Just seems there are some config quirks.Found this post for NUT on debian:

http://blog.shadypixel.com/mon…n-debian-or-ubuntu-linux/

Looking at the conf files there is one called upsd.conf that does not get configured by the OMV UI:

# nano upsd.conf
    LISTEN 127.0.0.1
    LISTEN 192.168.100.10 3493

As far as I can figure the IP is the OMV NIC and looing at the file on OMV all it has is localhost. I included the OMV addy and now get the following in the logs.

20:30:43 NAS01 upsmon[1624]: UPS [ups@localhost]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused

The link above refers to "The UPS driver and upsd must be running as the same user in order to communicate" in a post when setting up NUT and a APC. Here is the post:

http://blog.shadypixel.com/mon…untu-linux/#comment-26366

I dont want to mess with the files too much as I don't want to break anything. I'm new to OMV and Linux. Sure I'm getting close!

• Sorry to dig this one up, but has anyone had any luck, if not i will go and ask the foaks at debian as i cannot get it to function on either wheezy or squeeze

• To be honest, I wound up hooking the USB cable between my OMV and the APC and then used the APC network software on my WHS to shut it down. I having a feeling that you are right with Debian not working with the APC NMC. I used to work with theater video servers that were Debian based and they wound up using serial to control the APCs, even thou they were shipped with NMCs. On another note, seeing that I have NMCs in all my APCs, it is handy to be able to remotely check out the UPSs.

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• hi guys,
    i have the same issue. apc connected via network card in the same rack as the server. no usb connection between. how can i get the snmp driver in omv to work?

tak

HP-Proliant Microserver Gen8 | omv = always latest | 64 bit | 1x3TB ,3x4TB , 1x500GB HDD for Boot | omvextrasorg = latest | HP P212| Plugins = NUT, HWRaid, luksencryption OMV extras

• I have not tested the shutdown but I believe communication works for me with the following:

1. Install the missing nut-snmp package on a root command line:

root@openmediavault:~# apt-get install nut-snmp

2. Configure NUT in OpenMediaVault:

UPS: Enable = True
    Identifier = ups
    Comment = Smart-UPS 1000INET
    Driver configuration directives:

driver = snmp-ups
    port = 192.168.0.15 (or whatever your UPS is)
    mibs = apcc

Shutdown mode: USP reaches low battery

3. Look at details from UPS in OpenMediaVault:

Diagnostics > Services > UPS > Variables

battery.charge: 100.00
    battery.charge.restart: 50
    battery.date: 01/22/15
    battery.packs: 0.00
    battery.packs.bad: 0.00
    battery.runtime: 7140.00
    battery.runtime.low: 300
    device.mfr: APC
    device.model: SMART-UPS 1000

Good luck.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!