Is this a good configuration?

• So I want to put my OMV box behind a VPN (VyprVPN), but I know that in doing so, I will break Plex's remote play capabilities. The obvious solution is then to put my PlexMediaServer on a separate appliance and have that just connect to the media library on my OMV.

What's the smartest way to go about doing that? Back up my /opt/plexmediaserver folder, transfer it to /opt/plexmediaserver on the new machine, set Plex to run in docker like I have now, and just mount the /media/TV and /media/Movies/ folders from my mergefs partition on my OMV machine? How should I mount the shared folders? Will the VPN on the OMV machine make that difficult? Or because they are both on the same LAN will that not be an issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need to do that, you can if you want that would be the easy way. But on the internet there are plenty of tutorials on how to policy based routing. Not all traffic needs to go through the vpn tunnel, depending on the destination or ports used the ip Linux stack can balance in between the default gw and the vpn gw. A good start is the OpenVPN wiki.

• I looked into policy-based routing when I switched from a commercial router to a pfSense appliance + Unifi AP setup for the house, and determined I'm far too stupid to manage that.

If this will work, I'll look into setting up a small Plex machine. Problem is my OMV box is running on a beefy i7 with lots of RAM, and I don't want to jump down to Celeron or something like that.

Which means I may have to dick around with policy-based routing. Ech.

As an aside, I think you responded to my question on Sonarr and seedboxes on the Sonarr forum, so thank you for constantly helping me out.

• Let me ask this then: my pfSense appliance has 4 NICs. Would it be smarter to make OPT1 connect to WAN and just have the VyprVPN only on OPT1, and then just plug my OMV box straight into OPT1?

• Offizieller Beitrag

and then just plug my OMV box straight into OPT1?

Sounds confusing.....i mean once you have vyprvpn configured in pfsense as a client, is just a matter of creating rules in the LAN section and choose a gateway (default or VPN). For example transmission is a PITA to configure to use VPN because of the ports, so for making it easier what i do is assign a secondary ip address of the default lan segment (or you can use a VLAN) to the server nic, then configure transmission to bind to that secondary IP address. Then in pfsense set that that source ip in lan get's all traffic forwarded through the vpn gw.

the alias there are just private torrent websites and irc announce servers.

• So I have my VPN set up through pfSense correctly. It is now an additional interface under my interfaces.

My OMV box is 192.168.1.5 in my LAN ip table. It looks like Deluge has an option called "Network Interface" where I can set it to bind to a specific IP address. How do I set that up?

I guess what I am asking is, now that I have pfSense set up that way, what firewall rules do I need to add, and how do I set up the secondary IP address to add to the "network interface" section of Deluge?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can assign a secondary ip to your interface using the omv method described here

Customize /etc/network/interfaces the OMV way [>= 1.11]

This file I used some time ago for transmission. Adjust to your requirements of nic name and ip space. About deluge you'll need to consult about that in their docs

• OK, here's my script:

but when I put "192.168.1.10" in my deluge "Network Interface" option field, deluge will no connect to torrents.

Also I don't know how to set up my firewall rules.

• OK, here's my script:

But I still can't seem to get this to work.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von subzero79 () aus folgendem Grund: correct incorrect line

• Offizieller Beitrag

Lots of errors there from copy-paste from my mobile, use this one

After that make it executable

chmod +x /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/interfaces.d/50nameofthefile

run

omv-mkconf interfaces

Reboot and check you know have two ip addresses assigned to the interface

ip addr show eth0

The rule? just select the src ip address and tell it to use the vpn gateway in pfsense

• Alright, that fixed it. I've now bound 192.168.1.6 to the OMV box as well. I changed the bind address in rtorrent (I switched from Deluge) and I can connect to it now via 192.168.1.6. I've created a rule in pfSense firewall that says:

But a torrent that I add to rtorrent doesn't connect to anything and download. Is there anything else I need to add?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!