Rsync jobs to view in log file(s)

• I have an OMV ver.2.2.14 server and in the Webgui under Service : Rsync

I created Rsync jobs exp. Folder1 Folder2 and Folder3 jobs where rsync job for the Folder1 is set to run backup every Friday after 1 a.m.
    for the Folder2 is set to run backup every Saturday after 1 p.m. and for the Folder3 is set to run backup every Sunday after 1 p.m.

I would like to view the logs files for these rsync jobs I created... I would like to periodically check if backup jobs been completed etc.

Can you let me know if there is a way to do so? If yes, how can I do it so I could view logs files for these services I setup?

Thank you,

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the GUI, look at the highlighted sections below. (Don't forget the drop down arrow on the right, to select Rsync Jobs.)

Compare the log file time stamps, to the time of scheduled job.

BTW: When you set up the Rsync job, DO NOT select the "Quiet" (Suppress non-error messages) option. If you do, almost nothing is logged.

• To flmaxey,

I did and this log is empty. Also when I did set up the Rsync job, I DID NOT select Suppress non-error messages option.
    I have to 2 Openmediavault server and I have the same problem on both? I don't know why?

Any idea what is wrong?

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

In that case I would wonder if your Rsync Jobs actually ran.

To manually run an Rsync job:
    Go to <Services>, <Rsync>, and click on one of your jobs and "run". A dialog box will open, then click "start".

If the job is working, the dialog box will show you something like the following:
    (In my case, everything is up to date. If new files are copied, from the <source> to <destination>, the list will scroll by.)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Please wait, syncing </srv/e29e426a-9fde-458f-b398-b70108fff26e/> to </media/5eee31cc-c41b-46b4-b829-71951efd6bb5/ServerFolders/Backups> ...

sending incremental file list

sent 226,902 bytes received 1,001 bytes 9,302.16 bytes/sec
    total size is 6,568,917,731 speedup is 28,823.31
    _____________________________________________________________________________

If you're not getting something like the above, the job is not working.

BTW - what you see in this dialog window is also stored in the Rsync log.

• To flmaxey,

I had to enable Rsync server service and I see informations in the Rsync log when I run Rsync Job under Services : Rsync.
    So I enabled Rsync server service on both Openmediavault servers and it seems is working on both now.

Thank you flmaxey

• Hello friends of OMV :)

I use this old thread, because it's title fits to my question ;)

I created an rsync PULL job via scrip:

Code
    rsync -ahv --delete --stats --log-file="/var/log/rsync.log" --log-file="/var/log/rsync_BACKUPS.txt" -e "ssh -p 222 -i /etc/ssh/openmediavault-06d0beb8-a3dc-4bde-a404-1092fc1810b3" MyUser@192.168.1.6::BACKUPS /srv/afece2ad-7c23-492c-a29c-69657c1f5d0d/Syno_Backups/BACKUPS/

It pulls the BACKUP folder from my Synology NAS and puts it into the Syno_BACKUP Folder (UnionFileSystem) on my OMV machine.

This worked like a charme.

I create the second Logfile in this code (rsync_BACKUPS.txt) in txt format, because in the end of the script i send an status eMail with this txt attached.

This works like a charme too.

BUT: I can no longer see any logs in my OMV box interface.

Wenn i take a look into /var/log/rsync.log, it is totally empty...

Any ideas?

Or is my syntax of creating two log files wrong?

Would it be better to copy the rsync.LOG into rsync_BACKUPS.txt after the job finished?

Thank U so far :)

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kamikaze01 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

It could be the multiple log files. Try this, do one log file and then follow it with a second command. If separated with a semicolon ; the copy command, from one log file to another, can be executed on the same line.

I.E.

rsync -ahv --log-file=/var/log/rsync.log SourceFolder/ DestinationFolder/ --progress ; rsync --delete /var/log/rsync.log /var/log/rsync_BACKUPS.txt

On the other hand rsync logs append. I don't know how that would be handled on the destination side. It might be necessary to drop the delete switch and use wildcard characters.

• thank u for the answer...

yeah... seems as the second log in the syntac was the problem.

i just use rsync with only one log file (rsync.log)

Code
    rsync -ahv --delete --stats --log-file="/var/log/rsync.log" -e "ssh -p 222 -i /etc/ssh/openmediavault-06d0beb8-a3dc-4bde-a404-1092fc1810b3" MyUser@192.168.1.6::BACKUPS /srv/afece2ad-7c23-492c-a29c-69657c1f5d0d/Syno_Backups/BACKUPS/

in in the end of my script, bevor sending the mail is simple make

Code
    cp /var/log/rsync.log /var/log/rsync.txt

Problem solved for me :)

Thank u for help

7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) // ASRock J5040-ITX with Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver J5040 CPU @ 2.00GHz // be quiet! ATX 500W (BN46) // 2x4GB Samsung M471A5244BB0-CRC

Fractal Design Node 304 // 4-Port PCIE to SATA 3.0 ControllerCard // 1x 128GB SSD for OS and 2x 4TB, 1x 5TB and 3x 8TB HDD as one big fuse.mergerfs space (no need for raid parity)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!