Inatall Openmediavault on QNAP TS-251 (x86) guide?

• OMV 2.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OMV will run well on a Raspberry PI (an arm processor) with 1GB of ram. I just tested it in a VM with an AMD processor and 1GB RAM and it works fine. An Intel Celeron would do the job.

However, OMV requires exclusive access to it's boot media that should be 8GB or larger in size (it can be a USB thumb drive or an SD Card). This might be a problem, depending on how a QNAP is configured / designed. What model of QNAP do you have?

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.

my QNAP has 1 GB RAM, Intel Celeron 2.41GHz dual-core processor and Flash Memory 512MB see
      I have OMV running on a QNAP TS-451 and it works well. I did upgrade the flash memory on the motherboard to 8 GB and the ram to 8 GB as well. You don't have to upgrade the ram but it helps. You can't install OMV on the 512mb flash memory but you could plug a flash drive into one of the usb ports. After that, the device is almost the same as any intel system.
      omv 4.1.13 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • I read quickly threw your other thread. The base system would probably run ok. If you can get it installed. Seems one of your objectives was zfs. 1GB is not really enough to get the benefits of zfs. It would be slow. Some features like check sums etc may work.

As far as install, look to see if anybody has installed Debian on one. If they have you should be able to install it.

Good luck
      If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.
    • donh wrote:

look to see if anybody has installed Debian on one.
      I know someone :) The TS-251 is a two bay version of the TS-451 which is a four bay. Super easy since it has a regular phoenix (I think) bios and an hdmi port. Even has an so-dimm slot for upgrading memory and a usb flash drive plugged in a standard usb 10 pin header.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • n4aa wrote:

Hi

See forums.freenas.org/index.php?t…enas-on-ts-251-x86.54800/
      My hardware to weak to install FreeNAS. Can I install Openmediavault or the same problem? If yes is there a guide / tutorial? ?(

my QNAP has 1 GB RAM, Intel Celeron 2.41GHz dual-core processor and Flash Memory 512MB see archive.fo/goV85
      here are tutorials for debian on a qnap 251. I think it is helpfuly:
      kurthbemis.com/2016/02/29/debian-on-qnap-ts-251/
      forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=131749
      omv 4.0.19 | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 4.1.2 | kernel 4.14
      used plugins: nginx | mysql | docker-gui |rsnapshot | antivirus | apt tool | letsEncrypt |
      used other: netxtcloud | logitechmediaserver | emby
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

n4aa wrote:

my QNAP has 1 GB RAM, Intel Celeron 2.41GHz dual-core processor and Flash Memory 512MB see
      I have OMV running on a QNAP TS-451 and it works well. I did upgrade the flash memory on the motherboard to 8 GB and the ram to 8 GB as well. You don't have to upgrade the ram but it helps. You can't install OMV on the 512mb flash memory but you could plug a flash drive into one of the usb ports. After that, the device is almost the same as any intel system.
      how do you install OMV on qnap? any guide?

i want to do this for a ts-509 Pro because it's EOL and no longer any security patches provided.
    • A TS-451 has a regular bios and hdmi port. So, I connected a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and usb stick of OMV iso. Then I installed just like any amd64 machine. Not sure if the 509 pro is the same but I know a lot of the higher end, non-arm processor units can do the same thing.

• Users Online 1

1 Guest