Help with mapping an OMV shared folder to my Mac

• Hi,

I'm new to the world of OMV and have got it installed on a Raspberry Pi.
    I've added a 1tb USB hard drive that is formatted as EXT4 and shows up in OMV.

Ive made a shared folder.

Now I would like to access this folder on my Macbook. How do I do this?

I thought it was simply a case of enabling smb but that didnt work. Then I installed a plugin to get Apple Filing. That hasnt worked either.
    I understand that you have to go in to those sections, (SMB or Apple Filing) and choose your shared folder. I've done that.

Now where am I going wrong?

I tried going to my mac and typing smb://ip-address/my_shared_folder

That has not worked.

I'm using a fixed IP address.

Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong or if there is a permission Im not setting properly or anything?

Many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated,

Tim.

• Thankyou for therquick reply.

I'm sure I've tried the smb//ipaddressalreasy but will give it another go.

I was looking in priveleges. Do I need to select the user as in my user that is using my Macbook right now?
    At the moment it is just set as Pi as the user.

I do notice that in Shared in Finder I see Raspberry Pi and also RaspberryPiSMB or something similar.
    But when I click on them nothing connects.

Sorry if my questions are dumb. Im having a really busy week and very tired.

Thankyou for your help.

My goal is to be able to map this drive that has my media files to all my devices, starting with my Macbook.

• In finder OS X use cmd+k, in the window that pops type smb://ipaddress

Only out of curiousity: Why does an OMV forum moderator encourages macOS users to rely on SMB? AFAIK OMV does neither ship with the necessary Samba version, nor the necessary modules stacked in the correct order and configuration bits or am I'm wrong?

For some details please refer to: https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/5904

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please tell me how did I encourage to use samba ? Is his choice...he can use netatalk (AFP) If he wants.

Btw what would happen if he uses samba in macOS ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why does an OMV forum moderator encourages macOS users to rely on SMB?

I have no problem with macOS and samba. Apple owns Samba. That tells me samba should work well (and does) with samba. Not everyone uses time machine either.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• what would happen if he uses samba in macOS ?

Low performance (applies especially to directory enumeration and handling of small files, with large files it's not that important) if not using Samba 4.4 or above with the appropriate modules stacked in the right order. And then users run into problems if they access the same share with SMB/Samba and AFP/Netatalk at the same time, this affects file metadata and encodings (again if Samba version is too old and the modules are missing). Everything outlined in the links referenced in the URL above.

Apple owns Samba.

Huh? Do you mean CUPS?

Wrt Samba: Apple doesn't own Samba but they told developers already several years ago that AFP is deprecated (great! Though somewhat strange saying that as a former Netatalk developer ;) ) and will be replaced with SMB. Apple developed some proprietary SMB2 extensions (again: check the URL above or do a web search for eg 'aapl samba') and added them to their own smbx implementation. And starting with OS X 10.8 on both ends of a connection it made no difference any more whether you used AFP or SMB as protocol (since Apple's SMB server and client implementation take care of encodings and metadata representation and conversion into HFS+ native representation on disk -- they use the well known Alternate data streams scheme Microsoft introduced with 'Services for Macintosh' in Windows NT 3.1 for metadata and introduced some smart ways to deal with problematic or even 'forbidden' characters when dealing with encodings)

Ok, didn't want to open another can of worms and will shut up here too. Problems with 'SMB and AFP at the same time' can be read above and my only advise currently is to

• encourage users to use AFP only (better performance)
    • never access data from macOS clients with AFP and SMB at the same time (use different shares for AFP and SMB)

I do clean up on servers after the latter happened for a living since almost 2 decades (so I believe I know what I'm talking about -- this stuff is something neither users nor admins realize when it happens but always way too late). And in case I feel bored within the next months I will join you in developer forum and propose something (after tests have finished, last tests with Samba 4.6 at a customer looked promising from a performance point of view but graphics department still managed to find a few bugs with concurrent SMB access with most recent macOS versions)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Huh? Do you mean CUPS?

Yep. Mixed that up.

I also said I wouldn't have a problem recommending samba to macOS users because the macOS users (hundreds) at my job all use samba since we have no AFP servers. Granted, it is from a netapp.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I wouldn't have a problem recommending samba to macOS users because the macOS users (hundreds) at my job all use samba since we have no AFP servers. Granted, it is from a netapp.

Haha, NetApp. Well, let's stop here (since I do paid consultancy boosting productivity in such installations where macOS users are forced to use inappropriate SMB implementations).

OMV seems to rely on Debian Samba versions and does not take care of specific Samba modules stacked in a specific order, right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, let's stop here (since I do paid consultancy boosting productivity in such installations where macOS users are forced to use inappropriate SMB implementations).

Let's stop here. How about we just pretend I have been programming for 35 years, using Linux for almost 20 years, and maybe I know something once in a while??? I have dealt with a lot of shitty consultants (not saying you are) that show me awesome numbers of how they improved "things" 20% but the user (their customer) isn't any happier. I work with 10k users everyday and work helpdesk about 10 weeks a year. I know exactly how well our netapp works and macOS isn't a problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV seems to rely on Debian Samba versions and does not take care of specific Samba modules stacked in a specific order, right?

We use Debian packages in as many situations (almost all) as we can. Everything is done in a specific order except for extra options are always last. Maybe it could use tuning though.

• Hi everyone.

I firstly would like to thankyou all for your help. I'm learning as I go and it's thanks to people here that help to understand everything about OMV.

I was playing around last night and still not getting anywhere.

A few questions:

1) What should I use?
    I've enabled SMB and Apple Filing and installed the Netatalk plugin. Didn't do anything to it. Just added the plugin.

I want to be able to see a folder on my Mac called Media that I've created in the shared folders.
    I'd also like to add the drive to VLC Player.
    Under users it currently says Pi.

I know in Windows when I used to map drives I could log in with a user and passsword. I don't get a login option when doing an //smb on my Mac.

I do see Raspberry Pi and RaspberryPiSMB listed in a finder window under Shared.
    However clicking on them says can't connect.

Could it be a firewall issue?

I'm stumped. I know it must be something easy I'm overlooking.

Once again your help is appreciated.
    Thankyou.

• We use Debian packages in as many situations (almost all) as we can.

Ok, then problems are likely to occur when accessing same share with Samba and Netatalk in parallel from macOS (reasons why can be found in my FreeNAS link above: it's about representation of metadata, ressource fork and file/directory name encoding).

I really stop here since you already feel offended and I don't want to spend my spare time on stuff like this. :)

In case I'll come up with instructions or a solution I'll write some sort of a blog post about and drop you (OMV devs) a note. Since tools like Helios LanTest exist it's easy for every macOS user to compare between AFP/Netatalk and SMB/Samba but for OMV users using SBC that do not use the new Armbian flavour it should be noted that Netatalk performance might be lower since OMV default settings put Netatalk's so called CNID databases on SD card (which is wrong IMO but I didn't found the time to open a ticket or thread in developer forum). To 'fix' performance 'vol dbpath' option could be used and CNID databases should be stored next to data (at least when OMV runs off a horribly slow SD card Netatalk performance of everything metadata related will be very poor)

• @Sonic007 I have the exact setup as you. RPi running OMV with a Macmini 10.12 (Sierra). works fine using either Samba or AFP (or either). I don't have the firewall running on my MAC as this is all done on my router.

These are my steps to setup OMV:
    1. create a user account in OMV (user in GUI) - default settings and this should create the user and make it a member of the group 'users'
    2. create the share in OMV (shared folders in GUI) - by adding a new shared folder
    3. set privileges in OMV (shared folders in GUI) - use privileges button to configure the share and set the user from step 1 with read/write access
    4. add share to SMB in OMV (SMB/CIFS in GUI) - select the shares tab and add the shared folder created in 2 above) to associate/authorise access to the share via SMB
    5. enable SMB service discovery on OMV (network in GUI) - select the service discovery tab and check that SMB/CIFS is enabled. if not enable it. I actually change the same of the SMB service from %h - SMB to %h (I do this as i prefer a short name for the service)

On your MAC do the following:
    1. check the OMV server is listed in shared section of finder window
    2. select the OMV server - it might try to authenticate using the your mac user account name which will probably fail
    3. select the 'connect as' button at top right of finder window
    4. add the OMV user account as per 1 in the OMV instructions above

If this does not work, I can think of 3 things on your MAC (or network) - not OMV that could be causing the issue:
    1. firewall on network - you might have a firewall that is stopping local SMB traffic but this would be silly/strange
    2. firewall on Mac - same as above - silly to not allow SMB but you can look at the config (or switch it off while testing)
    3. sharing settings on Mac (settings-sharing-file sharing) - check that sharing is on and SMB is checked in the options. You might need to enable windows file sharing for your mac user account that you are using to access OMV

That is everything I can think of.

Good luck and post back if you have trouble with any of the above.

• Hi,

Just wanted to update you all with where I'm at with this.

jata1.... Thankyou for your detailed explanation and taking the time to reply to me. I really appreciate it and you will be happy to know that things are working!

I think it was a combination of a few things. I went back and did everything from the beginning and followed your steps.
    Hadnt enabled the correct file sharing setting on my Mac, also re-did the smb permissions.

The other issue I found was to do with the ufw firewall on my RaspberryPi. I completly cleared all rules and set it up again from scratch making sure the following ports were open: 137, 138,139, and 445.

Everything is now working perfectly and I can see all my shared folders on my Mac.

Thankyou everyone for your help.

• @Sonic007 Nice one. Glad it's all working for you now.

The RPi works well as a little file server / NAS. It would be better if the network connection was faster but I find it works fine for bit torrent, VPN and as a file server for Plex (Plex running on my MAC).

All the best.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!