Install UniFi Controller

• By the way, my UniFi equipment and the UniFi docker work really flawless for nearly 3 months. ;)

Configured some vlans, a guest vlan, 2 wlan ssid's, vpn with dyndns and made some endpoint updates from the controller. It is really easy!

Great! One of the best decisions I ever made was this change from Cisco to UniFi. ;)

The dashboard motivated me to buy more UniFi equipment:

1x usg
    2x usw 8-150w
    3x uap ac pro

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have a few minutes, explain to me what the Unifi dashboard does. Some sort of remote device controller that integrates into OMV?

And, is UniFi equipment that good? I noticed some listings on E-bay for used items.

Thanks.

• Hello @flmaxey,

the unifi dashboard gives you an overview of your netwerk:

UniFi has it's own webui. It doesn't integrate into the omv webui, because there is no plugin available. But you don't need that kind of omv plugin integration. There is a docker image in the omv-docker-plugin you can install easily. If you have some unifi equipment and use the unifi controller software, you want to get the three bubbles at the right side green. To achieve this you need at least:

• 1 unifi security gateway
    • 1 unifi switch
    • 1 unifi ap

After that you can control your network configuration end-to-end. For example, if you want to provision:

• vlan: you configure the vlan at the controller and the controller populates it to all of your components or
    • ssid: you configure the ssid at the controller and the controller populates it to all of your components or
    • updates: you see all your devices at the controller and see if there is an update available. One button to press to install updates.
    • etc.

If you want to have the nice statistics, you need the feature "deep packet inspection", which you get if you have a usg.

Have a look at youtube to see how easy it is to configure your complete network, for example:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

There are also a lot of good german youtube videos from idomix.de

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, I'd like to thank you for the detailed response.

Wow, it seems UniFi takes support seriously. Everything had a clean, finished, appearance which helps with the "WAF". The Web GUI's are clear, lots of features, and it appears as if nothing is lacking. If the equipment is durable, and it appears that it is, it's a bargain.

Since I'm be moving in the near future, and I'm doing a bit of remodeling, it's a good time to consider locations for outdoor access points.

Again,
    Thanks

• After 3 month' of productive use at home, I can tell you that everything works really smooth. I do not have any problem at all.

Greetings Hoppel

• And by the way, there is a really nice app to manage your devices by connecting to the controller. It's nearly possible to configure all the features of the controller.

Another great feature of the app is that it's possible to measure your wifi throughput (upload/download) with your smartphone.

Greetings Hoppel

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I do appreciate the extra info and I certainly appreciate UniFi's approach to tech devices, I'm not a smart phone guy.

(I've had a bit of exposure to biometrics, data mining, etc. - enough to know that if one wants anything remotely resembling "privacy", a smart phone is a bad idea.)

• Ok, but this info maybe welcome for other UniFi newcomers. ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!