MySQL installation issues on OMV 3.0.77

• According to the MySQL plugin description, I should be able to specify a share for databases. If you look at the screen shot, there isn't any part that allows me to specify a share. As I've searched online, the option to specify a share shows for everybody else at the bottom of that page.

Please forgive me as I have been tinkering with Raspberry Pi's for just a few months and am very new to OMV. How do I get this to install correctly?

Thanks

• The MySQL database content is stored at /var/lib/mysql on the same partition as the operating system, and since OpenMediaVault does not allow you to create shares that are on the same partition as the OS, this is not possible. If you want to create a share from which you can access your MySQL database content, you will need to customize where the data is stored using the "Extra Options" box so that it is stored on a different partition or disk and then create share to it.

May I ask why you want to create a share to access your MySQL data? Having direct access to the database files is really not all that useful.

• May I ask why you want to create a share to access your MySQL data? Having direct access to the database files is really not all that useful.

Maybe I'm understanding all of this wrong but the partition the OS is on is just a 16GB microSD card and I would prefer to have it on a drive with more storage.

Is this the wrong way to go about it?

Thanks again

• I think you're right. The database is data and would be better stored on a data disk (with RAID, backup, etc) than on the system disk. In older versions of OMV, you could configure a shared folder but that option was removed for some reason.

A workaround might be possible by creating a symlink to the data drive.

• Maybe I'm understanding all of this wrong but the partition the OS is on is just a 16GB microSD card and I would prefer to have it on a drive with more storage.
    Is this the wrong way to go about it?

Thanks again

If you want to move the data to be on another disk you'll still have to do the same thing that I wrote about above. You can relocate where the data is stored by following these instructions. The only difference is that instead of directly editing the MySQL config file, you will just put the custom configuration into the "Extra Options" box from the MySQL plugin's settings page.

• I think you're right. The database is data and would be better stored on a data disk (with RAID, backup, etc) than on the system disk. In older versions of OMV, you could configure a shared folder but that option was removed for some reason.

A workaround might be possible by creating a symlink to the data drive.

Yeah it's misleading when it says that you can specify a share for databases but you can't without getting fancy.

]If you want to move the data to be on another disk you'll still have to do the same thing that I wrote about above. You can relocate where the data is stored by following these instructions. The only difference is that instead of directly editing the MySQL config file, you will just put the custom configuration into the "Extra Options" box from the MySQL plugin's settings page.

Thanks I'll give it a try.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In older versions of OMV, you could configure a shared folder but that option was removed for some reason.

It was removed because it caused too many problems. People used shared folders that already had data or changed permissions causing other issues. That is why we added the automatic backup.

Yeah it's misleading when it says that you can specify a share for databases but you can't without getting fancy.

We forgot to edit the description. Most people don't need to move it. 16gb may seem small but that is plenty of room for a good size database.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It was removed because it caused too many problems. People used shared folders that already had data or changed permissions causing other issues. That is why we added the automatic backup.

We forgot to edit the description. Most people don't need to move it. 16gb may seem small but that is plenty of room for a good size database.

That depends. Don't some apps store content in their database ? Also, some database apps can do frequent read/write operations, which can cause reliability problems on a flash drive for example.

I think it would have been preferable to make shared folder usage more robust rather than to store data on the system drive (maybe by simply adding warnings/instructions in the UI). The whole point of separating data and system is that you can wipe the system without losing data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That depends. Don't some apps store content in their database ? Also, some database apps can do frequent read/write operations, which can cause reliability problems on a flash drive for example.

Yes but if you are using an app that *writes* (most don't write a lot) that much to the database (reads don't hurt), then you probably can figure out how to move it.

I think it would have been preferable to make shared folder usage more robust rather than to store data on the system drive (maybe by simply adding warnings/instructions in the UI).

Preferable? Yes but very difficult. There are way too many ways a person can setup or change a shared folder to cause mysql not to start. We tried for a couple of years to get it right but people still had non-stop problems. Personally, I was done spending that much time on it.

The whole point of separating data and system is that you can wipe the system without losing data.

I agree with that but see points above. That is also why we added the scheduled backup so you can easily restore a database if you wipe the system.

If someone wants to write a better system, they can. I'm not going down that road again. Instructions are not enough because too many people ignore them.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!