Trying to disable SMBv1 and enable higher protocol

• OMV 2.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trying to disable SMBv1 and enable higher protocol

I'm running OMV 2.2.13
      and Samba Version 3.6.6

I'm trying to disable SMBv1 and enable minimum of SMBv2 on my server.
      I was trying to put those commands in the smb.conf :
      server min protocol = SMB2 server max protocol = SMB3 client min protocol = SMB2 client max protocol = SMB3 min protocol = SMB2 max protocol = SMB3and then when I ran testparm -v | grep protocol, I received:max protocol = NT1min protocol = SMB2Which is good, I guess?But, I couldn't access my shares from any computer, even a computer that is running SMBv1 and SMBv2.when I remove those lines, I able to access the share again, Only from computer running SMBv1.I still can't access the share from computer that is not running SMBv1.
    • In OMV3 man smb.conf shows:
      Display Spoiler

client max protocol (G):
      The value of the parameter (a string) is the highest protocol level that will be supported by the client.

Possible values are :
      · CORE: Earliest version. No concept of user names.
      · COREPLUS: Slight improvements on CORE for efficiency.
      · LANMAN1: First modern version of the protocol. Long filename support.
      · LANMAN2: Updates to Lanman1 protocol.
      · NT1: Current up to date version of the protocol. Used by Windows NT. Known as CIFS.
      · SMB2: Re-implementation of the SMB protocol. Used by Windows Vista and later versions of Windows. SMB2 has sub protocols available.
      · SMB2_02: The earliest SMB2 version.
      · SMB2_10: Windows 7 SMB2 version.
      · SMB2_22: Early Windows 8 SMB2 version.
      · SMB2_24: Windows 8 beta SMB2 version.

By default SMB2 selects the SMB2_10 variant.
      · SMB3: The same as SMB2. Used by Windows 8. SMB3 has sub protocols available.
      · SMB3_00: Windows 8 SMB3 version. (mostly the same as SMB2_24)
      · SMB3_02: Windows 8.1 SMB3 version.
      By default SMB3 selects the SMB3_00 variant.

That means option "NT1" is equal to SMB V1.

So in your case it should be sufficient to put this two lines in the smb.conf:
      server min protocol = SMB2
      server max protocol = SMB3

But you should better put it in the 'Extra options' field of the general SMB/CIFS settings of OMV.
      OMV 3.0.90 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304

The post was edited 2 times, last by cabrio_leo ().