What do you use your OMV server for?

• Having installed TVH on my OMV server and failing (having tried for literally months) to get resume from sleep mode to work, I have decided to just leave my server on 24/7.

It is irritating me that my server is sitting around doing nothing for around 50% of the time and I was just wondering whether there might actually be an advantage of having a server that is always on.

I was just wondering what you guys use your server for.

At the moment, all I use the server for is recording OTA TV programs and streaming back ripped DVDs.

What else can you do with a server that might make use of that 50% idle time?

• My home server is on 24/7 and runs multiple VMs uner Proxmox with the following missions:
    - NAS (OMV, NextCloud)
    - Home automation (Jeedom)
    - Seedbox (Sonarr, Transmission, OpenVPN)
    - Media server (Plex Media Server, Logitech Media Server)
    - Video surveillance (Motion, MotionEye)
    - Ad blocking DNS (Pi-Hole)

• What else can you do with a server that might make use of that 50% idle time?

Set up an anonymous FTP server with a readable/writable incoming directory and post the IP address to some warez/p0rn/moviez/muzic Usenet news groups. Someone will make use of it :) LOL. Just Kidding.

Run a TOR node?

As for me, my OMV is on 24/7 and it's used mostly for streaming movies, TV shows, and music.

I offer my media collection to a few friends via chroot'd SFTP. Once in a while they upload something I don't already have.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you both.

Some really nice ideas there.

In particular, I am interested in the FTP Server, Home Automation and Video Surveillance.

Home Automation in particular - can you recommend any open-source programs in particular (there are loads of them)?

• For home automation, I recommend Jeedom, which is french, so international support might be a bit lacking.
    Domoticz is probably the most popular open source solution worldwide.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Home Automation in particular - can you recommend any open-source programs in particular (there are loads of them)?

There is a plugin for domoticz.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!