Config for NAS

• Hello, I have a intel celeron with a single core, 4gb of ram, is that enough for OMV? I was thinking of storing to look from my other computers on Kodi, etc.

It is not too good to install OMV on a USB stick, though?

If I install OMV on a DOS partition table, can you later add more than 2TB hard drives to a GPT partition table?

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

intel celeron with a single core, 4gb of ram, is that enough for OMV?

Yes.

It is not too good to install OMV on a USB stick, though?

As long as you install the flashmemory plugin, it is ok.

If I install OMV on a DOS partition table, can you later add more than 2TB hard drives to a GPT partition table?

OMV is installed on its own drive. So, the partition table doesn't affect what partition table the data drives have or the size of hard drives that can be used. The OMV installer also rewrites everything on the drive it installs on. So, you don't get to choose what partition table it uses.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There are some ways to use the same drive OMV installs also as storage, but I would not recommend it at all.

You could Install OMV on a large drive and shrink the OS partition afterwards with gparted. Create an new data partition on empty space and mount it within OMV. Works, but not recommended.

Using an USB drive is the much better solution in combination with flashmemory-plugin.

I would use GPT tables in any way.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

• Thanks for your help, I think it would be simpler to take a SSD for OS

With a intel celeron single thread, it will be slow navigation, and it will struggle if I put 10 hard drives, to transfer movies over the network for Kodi, and share docs, etc no ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

With a intel celeron single thread, it will be slow navigation, and it will struggle if I put 10 hard drives, to transfer movies over the network for Kodi, and share docs, etc no ?

I think it will be fine. A file server doesn't need much cpu.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks from my part for answering these question too. Having the same old computer and same questions for the same purpose as OP. Mine is a Pentium D cpu 2.80 ghz.

• Pentium D, eh? Quite hungry chip, even idle ... Runnig this one 24/7 would refinance a newer and economically one by energy costs depending on your country maybe within a coulpe months ...

Terry Pratchett

• Pentium D, eh? Quite hungry chip, even idle ... Runnig this one 24/7 would refinance a newer and economically one by energy costs depending on your country maybe within a coulpe months ...

oh really? I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me that. I usually turn it off when I am not around but I didn't know that info lol.
    I was thinking of changing it for a newer mobo. I have the case and just looking to get a good price for a used mobo and a decent cpu (i3 preferred).

thanks for the hint

• For an easy NAS for home environment use, a cheap board and a Pentium G or even a Celeron is good enough.

Alternatively, try to get a HP Microserver Gen8 with Celeron T, 4 GB ECC RAM. You can get it in Europe for under 200 bucks.

Terry Pratchett

• For an easy NAS for home environment use, a cheap board and a Pentium G or even a Celeron is good enough.

Alternatively, try to get a HP Microserver Gen8 with Celeron T, 4 GB ECC RAM. You can get it in Europe for under 200 bucks.

Thanks for the tip, I will have a look in those options as well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!