Helios4 -- community developed ARM 4 bay NAS device received important upgrade

• I'll test this evening and post 7z. What else do you need?

Oh, the few dmesg lines mentioning RAID 6 and xor stuff (as outlined in post #20 of this thread) from your AMD box would be great and if you have another 3 minutes tinymembench results to compare with a few ARM devices (it's just 4 lines copy&paste and 2 minutes patience: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…findComment&comment=33444 )

• Oh, the few dmesg lines mentioning RAID 6 and xor stuff (as outlined in post #20 of this thread) from your AMD box would be great and if you have another 3 minutes tinymembench results to compare with a few ARM devices (it's just 4 lines copy&paste and 2 minutes patience: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…findComment&comment=33444 )

I'm having trouble with /tinymembench
    cc -O2 -c util.c
    make: cc: Command not found
    Makefile:11: recipe for target 'util.o' failed
    make: *** [util.o] Error 127

And for the RAID6,im not running it at the moment. If i have time on weekend maybe.

• cc: Command not found

Seems like 'apt-get build-essential' is needed. But numbers aren't that important if there's no ECC DRAM :)

The 7-zip numbers look fine and wrt raid-6 I was referring to dmesg output after booting (RAID 6 should be active since needed by a lot of other in kernel stuff like btrfs but I've to admit that I'm not that familiar with the outdated OMV/Debian default kernels anyway, lowest kernel version on any of my OMV boxes is 4.9)

• I'm still for x64 platform,only because of performance.

I'm with you, but not (only) because of performance reasons. I'm cured of ARM, because every vendor and manufacturer develops it's own closed source drivers, which means especially for Linux that there is almost no development for old platforms and a quite stale one for active platforms.
    I've tried quite a few lately (inlcuding the Cubox, Odroid-C2, Vero 4k (S912 platform) and the all suck when it comes to drivers. In reality you're stuck with some very old kernel (3.x) in a bad shape and can't do anything about it.

Completely different situation for x86(64). You can use the latest kernel releases with all the benefits that come with it.
    That's why I'm waiting for the new Atom processors (Apollo Lake) with ECC support:

https://www.intel.com/content/…apollo-lake/overview.html

The integrated boards should be out in summer. The ones w/o ECC support are already available.

• I'm cured of ARM, because every vendor and manufacturer develops it's own closed source drivers, which means especially for Linux that there is almost no development for old platforms and a quite stale one for active platforms.

Not true at all. I'm sorry for you that you choose three times the wrong device and did not do some research before but in general (and especially in this case here) situation is different. Helios4 uses the same high performance ARM SoC and even MicroSOM as my Clearfog Pro and guess why in this list there's a 4.11 in the OMV image's file name: https://sourceforge.net/projec…s/Other%20armhf%20images/

Because these devices run with latest and greatest mainline kernel, same is true for Allwinner A20 devices that make also a great and extremely energy efficient low-end NAS (less than 1W idle consumption) and other platforms (ODROID-XU4 for example jumped from a vendor 3.10 kernel now to a 4.9 LTS and once things are settled there the patches will be sent upstream so that we get true mainline support)

While you're right that some ARM SoC vendors don't give a shit about a recent kernel version or Linux at all (Allwinner being one of them) sometimes there's a great community that compensates that (in Allwinner's case that's linux-sunxi) and in the meantime also some of this behaviour changed (thanks to Google and their ARM Chromebooks and them forcing hardware vendors to stop their 'port and forget' mentality and to actively submit their code for their own hardware upstream to mainline kerrnel).

Rockchip and even MediaTek for example actively support their own devices upstream now. I'm currently evaluating a so called ROCK64 board which might make up for a nice power efficient single disk NAS. 'Android kernel' is a 3.10.104, their Linux SDK relies on 4.4 LTS (testing with 4.4.70 currently) and in a few weeks I'm pretty confident running with 4.13-rc already. Same with MTK, their Linux SDK is also at 4.4 LTS while they at the sime time submit their stuff upstream.

Even Amlogic got it, they pay currently BayLibre to do the mainlining work for their SoCs so even your Odroid-C2 and Vero 4k can soon run mainline kernel (I already booted my C2 with 4.11 but some stuff is not ready yet).

Back on topic: Helios4 is fully supported by mainline kernel, there are no driver issues or anything like that, my similar Clearfog Pro is running 4.11.5 and by the time Helios4 will relaunch and shipping it will be 4.13 or even higher.

BTW: If Linux on energy efficient Intel designs would be no problem why does Linuxium exist? ;)

• BTW: We're talking here not about a lame Raspberry Pi or Pi clones.

Why the hate? I've a Pi running Pi-hole (ad blocker for the entire network), a torrentbox, a NAS (limited to 100 mbps and mainly to copy files to the other gigabit NASes - I've both a Synology and a Pentium running OMV as well as a Cubox NAS), and Home Assistant (home automation OS), all on a single Raspberry Pi 2. It more than handles everything including complex home automation commands and rules from a couple of Google Homes, and 3 Echo Dots, all connected to multiple IOT devices.

PS: You don't really need to rain down on somebody (or something) to sell something... just saying!

• just saying!

Next time please check the context before. It was about deciding between x86/x64 or ARM 'in general'.

Wrt 'ARM in general' there exist a lot of urban myths like 'way too slow', not versatile or 'no driver support' -- see gaelic's comment above. The Helios4 and the other ARM devices based on this SoC family are clearly the opposite and I posted this here for one single reason (you seem also to happily ignore). The team behind Helios4 while being told already last year explored the possibility to provide a Helios4 variant with 2GB ECC DRAM which they added as a stretch goal some days ago.

That's important if you care about data integrity. We're still talking here about something completely different than 'lame Raspberry Pi or Pi clones'! (though we and our customers use some of those Pi clones successfully as NAS but of course never any of the Raspberries since there NAS performance always horribly sucks. :) )

BTW: I'm not 'selling' anything here, I just inform OMV users about an interesting opportunity to get a really free 4 bay NAS device that's cheap and energy efficient. You should also keep in mind that those guys behind Helios4 aren't antisocial spongers (like your NAS vendor of choice) but donate a few bucks back to projects like OMV here!

Currently it seems Helios4 with the current campaign doesn't get funded but it seems they relaunch soon this time only focussing on the ECC DRAM variant :)

• Next time please check the context before.

BTW: I'm not 'selling' anything here,

But I did and the first thing I see is you being listed as a partner.

So you see something is being sold here... even if its a kickstarter project and you are officially listed as a partner in that sale. Perhaps you should be upfront about that?

Enough said... if you are really into open source and helping folks then we'd like to see you drawing attention to other projects too... ones that you are not a part of.

• you are officially listed as a partner in that sale

What are you talking about? Who are you referring to? Me? OMV? Which sale? Are you talking about the Helios4 Kickstarter campaign? If so do you realize the difference between a campaign trying to get interested people funding a project vs someone selling products to customers?

• What are you talking about? Who are you referring to? Me? OMV? Which sale? Are you talking about the Helios4 Kickstarter campaign? If so do you realize the difference between a campaign trying to get interested people funding a project vs someone selling products to customers?

Seriously what are you smoking?

You are making Kickstarter out to be an altruistic do gooder and commercial vendors evil corporates?

What are you going to be claiming next? Helios4 feeding the poor in Africa?

Haven't you heard of any Kickstarter scams? I've myself been scammed there... Light Harmonic Geek Out DAC for one.

Really... what are you on dude?

Enough interested people funding a project (like myself) have been scammed a lot on both Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

Seems you need to realize a lot yourself instead of trying to enlighten me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Enough...

I have no issue with this NAS being promoted on this site since it will run OMV very well and is relatively low cost. Any time someone posts their hardware config, they are "promoting" something. Comparing this device to an RPi is pointless since they aren't even in the same class other than having an arm chip.

Personally, I have purchased a few arm boards from crowd funding sites and never had an issue. Don't assume this will be because you had a bad experience.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't mind someone(or tkaieser) promoting something that runs OMV on. I(at the moment) dont see any benefits from ARM, but that may change in the future.
    On that note,this is really interesting project(yes,project) but i believe 2.0 version of this will be good. So you have my moral support :D

• I don't mind someone(or tkaieser) promoting something that runs OMV on

Hmm... Helios4 has been promoted officially by OMV a while back when the campaign started: https://www.openmediavault.org/?p=2112

The Helios4 folks announced their idea half a year ago and my main concern was missing ECC DRAM. And only recently when Helios4 announced they would finally add an ECC DRAM option it became that newsworthy to me that I decided to post here and explain some stuff about 'ARM NAS' in general and the importance of ECC DRAM for data integrity (if you don't care about that or 'bit rotting' in general then why not ignore the whole thing? :) )

Besides that the most important benefit of using ARM is energy efficiency. My ARM 'NAS boxes' usually consume less than 1W in idle (with disks spun down of course) which is something hard to achieve with x86/x64 platforms. And at least here they're busy doing other stuff 24/7 still consuming less than 1W each (home automation, server tasks, an Orange Pi Zero for example running as official Armbian torrent seeder consumes less than 700mW serving off a 128 GB SD card).

Now off to post a new thread that will be misunderstood as advertisement by some again :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!