Helios4 -- community developed ARM 4 bay NAS device received important upgrade

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CE meens: it is secure to use this device in Europe.

Every electric device in Europe needs this sign. Without it is very hard to get it through ZOLL!

Almost every packet have to pass the ZOLL.

I read about backers who hav e got no Peeble Watch for example, because the Watch have no CE approval.

I think the is a similar regulation in US. Every device need a approval.
    • ness1602 wrote:

did you receive the device?
      Nope, Gauthier asked me whether I want a free sample but I said no since already too much stuff lying around. I'm also not that much interested in 'RAID at home' since IMO only a great way to fool yourself (but people interested in this should look here for latest results with Helios4).

I talked also months ago about the certification issue and Gauthier mentioned the PSU is CE/FCC certified and they were into talks with Solid-Run about the whole board (as far as I understood the SoM itself is certified already but I might be wrong)
    • gueschmid wrote:

CE meens: it is secure to use this device in Europe.
      No. A CE mark together with the CE declaration of conformity says that the manufacturer (or importer) confirms that the device is conforming with European directives and standards. It is a self-declaration. If the manufacturer (or importer) takes it seriously, which he should, the results in a "safe" device. But it is by no means a guarantee.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems in OMV - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation :!:
    • (moved from another thread)

svriderk3 wrote:

I like the concept of the helios very much and I have huge respect for the developers but I thinks it is overpriced. For nearly the same amount of money you can get a much more powerfull x86 Server (new/used Intel SOC, new/used ddr3L, cheap case, small SSD with ssd/USB converter for system, 12V powersupply), which consumes around 8-9W in Harddisk Idle.
      Well, the idle consumption of the Helios should be less than that (I hope for less than 4W but since I don't have the hardware I can only speculate -- I've a Clearfog Pro but there I need an additional mPCIe to SATA controller to be able to use that much SATA ports and usually every SATA PHY consumes energy on its own that's why I looked into cutting power via GPIO pins a long time ago but this got further postponed. I still want to build a NAS with +4 drives and an idle consumption at 2W or below :)

Wrt the price tag: Maybe you missed it but the Helios4 focuses on protecting against bit rot and is equipped with ECC memory. So when you use here good/modern filesystems allowing to check for data integrity and self-healing (ZFS or btrfs for example) this can not be compared with 'some PC parts thrown together' without ECC DRAM. At least here in Germany it's easy to find HP Microservers with ECC DRAM and also 4 HDD slots for a similar price but Iearned some time ago that this does not apply to many other parts of the world where it could be challenging to get something like this for less than 200 bucks.

svriderk3 wrote:

If a component dies there...buy a replacement for some €. How will be the future spareparts support for Helios?
      Honestly no idea. I only talked two or three times to Gauthier responsible for the software parts of the projects but have no clue about the hardware. But since everything is highly integrated you end up with two pieces anyway:
      [IMG:https://forum.armbian.com/uploads/monthly_2017_12/helios4_board_legend_c2abad4e-bb08-4581-a52e-b98cd9ff545f_1024x1024@2x.thumb.png.743d585f749422d328a5d43981d58877.png]
      The 'mainboard' mostly consisting of passive components where Solid-Run's MicroSOM sits on top (the thing below the heatsink consisting of SoC/CPU, memory and also eMMC storage if the Helios4 supports this). So maybe you can get a replacement for the MicroSOM but most probably in a few years you want to continue with more modern solutions anyway and simply use whatever 'mainboard' then is feasible. That's at least one of the advantages when no proprietary disk/RAID controllers are used. You can exchange the Armada mainboard with anything else running OMV and same or higher kernel version given that you manage to transfer your settings...

I know one person who was interested in Helios4 'enclosure' (he let a sample manufacture in Berlin this August) just to combine it with another Marvell thingie, the EspressoBin (combined with a mPCIe to SATA card of course providing the additional SATA ports). Will work for sure and the only challenge is some power circuitry to generate the 5V and 12V for the HDDs
    • New

Hello,

I got a message, that at the end of June 2018 there will be the next possibility to order the Helios4-NAS-Bundle.

Before I place a pre-order I'd like to know, if anyone here in germany has received his Helios4 from the first order?

And if the Helios4 is working as a stable NAS-Server.

THX for your answers.

Kind regards
      kaibuntu
    • Users Online 2

1 Member (1 invisible) and 1 Guest