Replace motherboard, same HD

• Hi,

my intel Atom motherboard died and I have replaced it with a new intel Atom very similar.
    I have plugged the same system HD to avoid a new installation.

However, the eth0 interface fails at boot and it cannot be up

I have the terminal screen with "Login:". Here my root/pass doesn't work and the admin/pass only is reloading the same "Login:" again.

Is there some way to access to the system from CLI to solve the eth0 interface problem?

• the problem is that I cannot do root in the system neither lan connecting because the eth is down.

My question is to know how to enter in the debian o.s. of OMV to repair the eth config.

How can I enter as root?

Is there some way to stop the boot process to enter in the system?

• Do you or do you do not have console access (monitor and keyboard attached)?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• yes, I have.
    Although I cannot login as I wrote in the first message.

Do you know if a reinstall of the same version will delete the configuration and plugins?

• I am pretty sure that a reinstall from an iso image will completely overwrite the existing installation and configuration.

As far as login not working, do you not remember the root password that you assigned when you did the original install?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• yes, I have the root password. And I know is right.
    However when I enter it in "Login:" it fails. And when I enter the admin password the Login screen loads again and nothing happens.

What it can be?

• At the Login: prompt you have to put a username, not a password.

Are you typing the word root at that prompt?

--

• yes, I try with both:

root / password

admin / password

What username you mean?

sorry, I understand you now.
    No, I don't write the password in the "Login:" prompt

thanks!

• The username is root

You should be providing the exact things you are seeing, even if you have to use a camera to take a picture of the screen.

--

• yes, of course. I enter username "root" and later ask me for the password
    Same with username "admin" and then password; here it loads the page again and that's all.

With root / password show me this is not right. Is there some way to access into the system by other means?

• Something must be mangled.

Try grabbing another terminal by typing:

Ctrl+Alt+F1

Then try again.

--

• ok, by trying what you says I have found it the error.

OMV loads the english keyboard and my root password have special characters that were not written when pressing the keys.

now I'm going to solve the eth0 error (If I can).

thanks for the help! :)

• Hi
    The password is never displayed

yes... it was the cause of my delay to see the error. I was thinking in hundred things instead the simplest cause of the keyboard configured with different language. X/

now I have solved also the eth error.

I have a new motherboad but the eth interface in the OMV still was of the old mobo. It was active like "eth1" inside /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

The eth of the new motherboard was added as a new line at the end of that file although without proper assignation "eth".

I have checked the file /etc/network/interfaces and the eth is "eth0". Then just by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, deleting the old one and writing "eth0" in the new one, and all is working :)

thanks! :)

• The other way to fix the networking is to run as root:

omv-firstaid

And select item 1.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!