OpenVPN with provider

• Hello all, completely new user who discovered Linux with OMV few days ago. As such, I do not know a single thing about CLI and managed to do everything in WebGUI (rsync, usb backup, Raid, torrent, etc)... Until now.

I have a VPN provider, and would like to use for with OpenVPN. I was not able to make it work with the WebGUI, specifically was not able to download the key and cert of my VPN provider and suspect I have to use CLI or SSH to make it work. My VPN provider gave me all the config files necessary, a .cert, .key, some .conf, a .opvn...

Is there a quick guide or someone who can help me with the commands to use ? I have read almost everything that is on the internet on that subject but since I discovered Debian and lines of commands 4 days ago it might as well be chinese I don't understand a single thing (but intend to learn and eventually know all about it).

Thanks a lot in advance

• All right, here are the things I did :

_First I understood the difference between client and server, something that is not emphasized enough (or at all) in most of the sources. I want to establish my OMV as a client, and it turns out that almost everything in the internet is for setting a server. Nevertheless I managed to gather the little information there is.

_So I took the files my VPN provider gave me, the crt/key/pem etc, and transfered them with WinSCP in /etc/openvpn

_Then I started openvpn; didn't work, cipher list does not match, turns out openvpn 2.2.1 is too old.

_I use this openvpn tutorial to upgrade to latest openvpn 2.4.2 on Wheezy, because the Debian repositories have 2.2.1 as latest

_It almost works. No more cipher error, it almost connects, but I get an error at the end :

Code
    /sbin/ifconfig tun0 add fyu0:d1d1:cafe::1194::1004/64
    SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied
    Exiting due to fatal error

I am running the openvpn start command as root and with sudo.

edit :

Ok I made it work by doing

Code
    sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=0

openvpn or ifconfig was trying to setup some ipv6 which was apparently not supported. Fixed now with no ipv6.

Initialization Sequence completed as I started openvpn, only that the program was hanging... No possibility to write a new command. So I stopped with ctrl + c and added --daemon at the end of the openvpn start command. It correctly starts and I could write commands again right after.

VPN seems to work as if I traceroute 8.8.8.8 I start at an adress of 10.x.x.x with a completely different route as before.

Thanks... I do hope this will be useful to someone somewhere sometimes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!