Could someone help me understand what docker is?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is lightweight virtualization only for Linux (applications). Is targeted at the use of single apps..The biggest advantage is easy/fast deployment without having to go to a dependency hell when trying to run software and find yourself against incompatible or out of date libraries, or complex text configurations.
    Have you ever tried to configure rtorrent/rutorrent or owncloud?

• Is lightweight virtualization only for Linux (applications). Is targeted at the use of single apps..The biggest advantage is easy/fast deployment without having to go to a dependency hell when trying to run software and find yourself against incompatible or out of date libraries, or complex text configurations.

Can you explain better why dependencies are no more a problem with Docker?

• Because they are already included inside the docker image.

The idea is that you pull a docker image from a repository. Everything you need to run the app is inside the image. You create and run a container, which is a functional instance of that image that runs isolated from the host OS.

• Is lightweight virtualization only for Linux (applications). Is targeted at the use of single apps..The biggest advantage is easy/fast deployment without having to go to a dependency hell when trying to run software and find yourself against incompatible or out of date libraries, or complex text configurations.

I installed rutorrent using docker. It says it's running, but I have no idea how to access it or even how to configure it properly. Any guides on here you can point me to? :)

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

• My mention to rutorrent was intended to make a point on how complicated is to configure/run that manually, just in case you had done it before.
    Don't have any guides, i use rutorrent but just autodl plugin, don't use it as a torrent client

You mean the autodl-irssi plugin? I'd have no problem running just that and configuring it to go into a "watch" folder for deluge. I didn't know that was possible.

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

It's not just for linux anymore. There is a docker for windows as well!! :)

This picture may give people a better understanding of the whole docker thing... basically instead of having multiple OS with their own bins and libraries you share them. All containers must have the same kernel and OS. If you need to run multiple OS, you use a regular VM. Theres some great articles coming out and its really the future of virtualization. Server = fat. VM = slim, Container = Skinny.

It's not just for linux anymore. There is a docker for windows as well!! :)

This picture may give people a better understanding of the whole docker thing... basically instead of having multiple OS with their own bins and libraries you share them. All containers must have the same kernel and OS. If you need to run multiple OS, you use a regular VM. Theres some great articles coming out and its really the future of virtualization. Server = fat. VM = slim, Container = Skinny. Imagine you are a large data center with thousands of mysql servers. before you needed thousands of OS instances as well. but with a container you run one instance and create many containers reducing costs dramatically.

• Thank you all for that - Docker definitely makes much more sense now.

By way of example:

I want to run Emby, TVHeadend, Domoticz and XMLTV on an OMV server.

Would I want to install any of these via Docker as opposed to directly?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!