OMV 3.0.80 - IP v6 support for nginx (rasperry image)

• Hello out there, I am using OMV 3.0.80 originally installed from the rasperry pi image and then upgraded to the latest version. My provider network is IP v6 only so I have to use it for all OMV services. I disabled for now IP v4 within the network config and looked after the nginx config.

Still now the nginx config for OMV is not configured for IP v6 support so I enabled it with

listen [::]:80;
    listen [::]:443 ssl deferred;

and removed "listen 80;" and "listen 443 ...".

It is not working very well when I access the OMV webpage after logging in. The log in process hangs somewhere around, after reloading it comes up. But not all homepage areas seems to be working only with IP v6. The update function gots errors and some more pages comes with unknown errors.

Is OMV 3.0.80 really working within an IP v6 network without IP v4 support? And why is the nginx not configured for IP v6?

If I enable IP v4 again the config process will override my IP v6 settings.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is OMV 3.0.80 really working within an IP v6 network without IP v4 support? And why is the nginx not configured for IP v6?

You are probably the first and only person using OMV to be on an ipv6 only network. So, it probably has never been tested. nginx is configured for ipv6 when it is detected. Maybe if there is ipv4, it isn't working correctly?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What's your setup?

Is this a typical ISP provider type of setup? If so, then I would make your WAN side be IPv6 and have your LAN side be IPv4 with your typical non-routable IPs all set up on your router.

This way, you would have your typical IPv4 environment for you PCs including your Raspberry Pi.

So, describe a little more of your setup...

• Here is the setup:

- OMV is used for private at a remote location (internet access via "Deutsche Glasfaser in Germany")
    - there is a avm fritzbox behind a isp router (bridged mode) so that the avm fritzbox gets a ip v6 network for using, but no ip v4 anymore (internal 100.xxx adress), so IP v4 NAT will not work with the isp router and the fritz box behind it (dual stack lite)
    - so I can only access the OVM homepage for configuring via IP v6 from remote
    - for FTP/SFTP and ssh this is no problem, they are configured for using ip v6 and this is working well
    - only the webpage (nginx) is not configured for ip v6

- I see at the moment that there is a running "rc.local" process which seems to have a problem (permament cpu usage after disabling ip v4)
    - another problem is the "lets encrypt" modul, because it is only working if there is no ip v4 address (it is using ip v4 first and the testconnection then fails)
    - maybe other services are also not running properly

• You are probably the first and only person using OMV to be on an ipv6 only network.

@ryecoaaron
    the first and only .... on a raspi /RPI .img :)

@Gummibaer9710
    Kurz und schmerzhaft ... IP V6 macht erst dann Sinn wenn die IPv4 Range nicht mehr ausreicht trotz Subnetz.

wenn du das Just for fun ..als Pionierarbeit dir antuen möchtest ... ist OK .. kannst du machen.
    Sollte es doch nur um Funktionalität handelt ... setze auf IP v4

Short and painful ... IP V6 makes sense only when the IPv4 range is no longer sufficient despite subnet.

If you want to do the Just for fun .. as pioneer work ... is OK .. can you make.
    If it is only about functionality ... put on IP v4

• The Master: vielleicht kurz auf deutsch :) ich kann nur über ip v6 vom internet aus auf omv zugreifen, andere chance habe ich nicht. der raspi mit omv steht nicht bei mir zu hause, sondern bei jemand anders und dort möchte ich nicht immer einen pc zu administration nutzen, sondern direkt die oberfläche von omv bzw. ssh.

Wenn offiziell im nginx ip v6 konfiguriert wird, damit es nach einer änderung nicht wieder gelöscht wird, ist das schon ein anfang. und es könnte mit ip v6 getestet werden. komisch, alle bei "Deutsche Glasfaser" kommen remote nur per ipv6 auf ihre heimgeräte. oder komplizierter über zusatzdienste.

von daher, irgendwer muss ja anfangen mit ip v6 :)

• Ich Habe das auch soweit aus dem Beitrag weiter oben ausgelesen ( auch wenn etwas zu spät) ich stelle mir das nur das nicht so easy vor

also wie schon gesagt (geschrieben) ... wenn du diese Aufgabe auf dich nehmen möchtest .. mein Respekt !

komisch, alle bei "Deutsche Glasfaser" kommen remote nur per ipv6 auf ihre heimgeräte. oder komplizierter über zusatzdienste.

der weg ist das Ziel ... Wie lang der weg ist , wird sich herausstellen

• Hello,

I'm in the same boat:
    Deutsche Glasfaser --> IPv6 access from remote only.
    Also, I would like to access the Web-Interface from remote, but it is not mandatory and in fact, it is more secure not to.

The current setup of nginx is:

Code
    cat /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/openmediavault-webgui
    listen [::]:80 ipv6only=off;

I did not do this, but openmediavault did after activating ipv6 and deactivating ipv4.
    But with this setup, the Web-Interface becomes unresponsive. It kind of works, but it hangs regularly, even when I am local.

I think, that making the web-interface accessible from the web is maybe not a good idea anyway, so I could life without.

Any hint, how I can make the web-interface accessible again locally?

Regards,
    Hendrik

• Hey you guys!

I've got my OMV running and I can access it via ipv6 from the internet because I added the listen [::]:443 ssl deferred; line to nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-webgui...
    but as some people already pointed out on this forum somewhere, that file gets rewritten / overwritten ever so often. I wonder how I can make the change stick....
    I tried adding another file in the /sites-enables directory, but somehow it doesn't work. Anyone know how to keep the ipv6 support without checking it every single time I change something in omv?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!