how to enable OPENMEDIAVAULT-FLASHMEMORY?

• I re-purpose dell poweredge t100 (which has two sata, and two sas), along with two WD 8TB RED drive to configure Raid 1.
    I just installed the latest v3.0.79

I have 3 questions need your help.

1) I boot from 8GB USB stick.
    by reading this post, I installed omv-extras, but how do I install/enable OPENMEDIAVAULT-FLASHMEMORY?
    Where to find the flash memory plugin ?

I download the openmediavault-flashmemory-master.zip (from here https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…penmediavault-flashmemory) , but it doesn't allow me install/upload through web interface

2) at web interface, under physical devices, I can see two RED drives (http://imgur.com/a/A4r3d), I can mount one of these two disks but can't mount two. is it because I might connect one RED disk to SATA, and the other to SAS?

3) at web interface, I click on raid management, when try to create raid 1 (mirror), there is no device/disk available. I read this article, which mention creating file system. Does that mean I need to create file system first (for both of my storage disk), then go to raid management?

https://blog.zensoftware.co.uk…torage-in-openmediavault/

Thank you for your help!

Dell Poweredge T100 (Pentium E5400, 2.7GHz, 2MB Cache,800MH 2, 4GB DDR2 memory, 32-bit)
    OMV 3.0.39
    2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

• If you want to make a software RAID 1 with the two 8tb drives you first have to wipe them clean. You will loose all data on the disks. Unmount them. And do a wipe on the disk page. When that is done you should be able to see them in the raid section. Make a raid 1. Now you can go and format the raid1 and mount it.

• Hi henkall,

Thank you very much!
    this is brand new disk, so I never thought I need to "wipe" it first. but wipe does do the trick. Thank you!

I have one more question hope you can help me. I intended to set up raid 1 (mirror) because I have two disks now. if my goal is to backup files (primarily from a single computer) to NAS, and occasionally stream mp3, is raid 1 the better option?

thank you!

Dell Poweredge T100 (Pentium E5400, 2.7GHz, 2MB Cache,800MH 2, 4GB DDR2 memory, 32-bit)
    OMV 3.0.39
    2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have one more question hope you can help me. I intended to set up raid 1 (mirror) because I have two disks now. if my goal is to backup files (primarily from a single computer) to NAS, and occasionally stream mp3, is raid 1 the better option?

I guess in the forum more people propose to not use raid 1 but use rsync to regulary copy data from the first HDD to the second HDD. This allows you to keep also previous versions of the file.
    You will read often the sentence: raid is not backup. So, make sure you additionally do regular backups of your data.

• Hi macom,

Thank you for you reply. I have impression that mirror (raid 1) end up with two identical disk, which I interpret as "2nd HDD is backup of 1st HDD". raid is not backup because raid might fail and you end up both HDD lost the data?

I currently have raid 1. if I switch to “rsync back up data from HDD1 to HDD 2", is this the steps on the high level:
    1) I can leave both HDD in the box (Dell Poweredge T100). basically no need to "leave HDD#1 in box, and HDD#2 as external USB disk"
    2) still install OMV, but no need to configure raid
    3) keep data in HDD#1
    4) use rsync to back up data to HDD#2

Am I heading to right direction?

OMV 3.0.39
    2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

• Disk mirrorring doesn't protect your files from accidental deletion, viruses, data corruption. It also won't save you from physical data loss (stolen NAS, fire, flood, etc...).
    RAID is used mainly for high availability (the NAS keeps on running when a HDD has failed), but that is not usually a strong requirement for home users.

• Hey Nibb31,

Thank you for your input. My main goal is backup files. not high availability. for that purpose, is it better remove 1 of the 8TB WD RED drive out of bay, use it as external USB drive? or I can leave both in the bay, just don't configure raid?

OMV 3.0.39
    2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

• Offizieller Beitrag

This explains how to get from Raid 1 to single disk and spare one:
    Remove RAID1 configuration

You can have both disk in the bay and use rsync to regulary copy data from disk 1 to disk 2. Or you use it as USB and plug it in when you want to do a backup. For both cases there are plug-in available.
    May be an advantage of the second option is, that the drive is not constantly connected. Might have advantages in case of surge (large over voltage e.g. during thunder storm) or ransomware which might encrypt files on network drives.

A next level of backup would be to use an external drive connected by USB and keep the drive in a different location. So in case of a fire in your home, you would still have the drive from the external location. Alternative would be backup in the cloud.

• Hi Macom,

Thank you for your detailed response!

I am going to change raid 1 to a single system. the post you refer to have this:

"You should be able to mark fail-remove a single disk from the mirror then format that removed disk and start moving contents from raid1 degraded to single disk. Once finish you can proceed to remove the old array. And use it as a single disk."

I want to be cautious for the data. I'd like to translate it to following steps. are they correct ?

1) go to omv webui -> storage -> raid management -> highlight the raid 1 -> remove
    2) go to Storage -> File Systems -> Now I should see two drives (I will designate one as source, and the other as destination)
    at this point, do I need to format any drive?
    3) go to services -> Rsync -> set up Rsync job

Thank you!

OMV 3.0.39
    2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not sure about the step one. I have not done it myself, yet.
    Hopefully @subzero79 can help. The linked post is from him.

Concerning step 3 you can also use the rsnapshot plugin which is using rsync. It gives you more possibilities for configuration.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!