Hard Disks losts after power supply cut

• Hi I have an Odroid XU4 runing OMV with the latest version.

I just have a RAID with a copule of 1Tb HD for photobackup, and an extra HD for Plex, Torrent, and for Nextcloud.

Last night I suffered an electricity cut and when the supply went back I have lost one of the HD of the RAID and the extra HD for Plex, and so on.

I have no idea how to recover this, since I can't see the devices in teh WebUI, and I also can not see the devices in the terminal.

I need some help.

Code
    cat /etc/fstab:

UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859       /       ext4    errors=remount-ro,noatime       0       1
    /dev/mmcblk0p1                                  /boot   vfat    noatime                         0       2
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    UUID=db75e0b1-b05a-4038-acf5-8b570602b0c1 /media/db75e0b1-b05a-4038-acf5-8b570602b0c1 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2
    UUID=ff389cf2-0cf3-47db-bdd0-d0000a9a6494 /media/ff389cf2-0cf3-47db-bdd0-d0000a9a6494 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/files /srv/dev-disk-by-label-files ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,discard,acl 0 2
    # <<< [openmediavault]

Code
    blkid show this:

root@openmediavault:~# blkid
    /dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="boot" UUID="96C3-9298" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="000f1766-01"
    /dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="omv" UUID="e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000f1766-02"
    /dev/mmcblk0p3: LABEL="files" UUID="540b009b-4190-4cfd-a50b-1bceadb10421" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/md127: UUID="ff389cf2-0cf3-47db-bdd0-d0000a9a6494" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda: UUID="0301e8e5-1ba3-7a22-e101-1fdf80d54c17" UUID_SUB="cfdc0805-38eb-2d0f-a785-4417563503d8" LABEL="odroid:BACKUP" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="000f1766" PTTYPE="dos"

Any idea what to do to recover my HDs?

• By the way in the WebGUI, in filesystem I see a part of the system unmounted, and when I try to mount it I get the following error:

Hope it can help.

• I have upgraded the OMV from the WebGUI.

Ok, so it's not Armbian based and you can not post output from 'armbianmonitor -u' :(

Maybe you should provide dmesg output and elaborate a bit about 'RAID with a copule of 1Tb HD for photobackup, and an extra HD for Plex, Torrent, and for Nextcloud' especially since you run this setup on such a limited device like the ODROID-XU4. I only see one mdraid device above (/dev/md127) which is one of 3 OMV fstab entries.

Seems you have to dig at the device level below mdraid and things and check for devices individually. /proc/partitions, lsusb and stuff.

On the other hand that's just a great example why HOME/SOHO RAID is such a bad idea.

• Ok, so it's not Armbian based and you can not post output from 'armbianmonitor -u' :(
    Maybe you should provide dmesg output and elaborate a bit about 'RAID with a copule of 1Tb HD for photobackup, and an extra HD for Plex, Torrent, and for Nextcloud' especially since you run this setup on such a limited device like the ODROID-XU4. I only see one mdraid device above (/dev/md127) which is one of 3 OMV fstab entries.

Seems you have to dig at the device level below mdraid and things and check for devices individually. /proc/partitions, lsusb and stuff.

On the other hand that's just a great example why HOME/SOHO RAID is such a bad idea.

Obviously the Odroid XU4 it is not the best hardware solution but it has been working fine for me several months now. I did have some issues, now and them, but my Nextcloud service, the RAID wich I just use for storage, and the extra HD otuside the RAID I used for Torrent and Plex were just OK. I even get my Plex transcoding and when used SAMBA to transfer my files from W10 to the OMV the speed transfer it has been more than good keeping in mind I used WIFI to upload my pictures. But this is another story (meybe in the future I will upgrade my hardware).

The main problem I see right now is that the eMMC has a partition in which I guess I had sensible data, and maybe as long as I can't mount this partition maybe the sistem can't see missing HD in the RAID, as well as the extra HD I used for torrent, plex and so on.

Here you have the details of the RAID:

If I can provide more info that you can use just let me know.

The partition I see as not mounted is the following:

/dev/mmcblk0p3/

And I can't mount it because I get the error I posted previously.

Thanks in advance.

• Ok, so it's not Armbian based and you can not post output from 'armbianmonitor -u' :(

Obviously the Odroid XU4 it is not the best hardware solution but it has been working fine for me several months now. I did have some issues, now and them, but my Nextcloud service, the RAID wich I just use for storage, and the extra HD otuside the RAID I used for Torrent and Plex were just OK. I even get my Plex transcoding and when used SAMBA to transfer my files from W10 to the OMV the speed transfer it has been more than good keeping in mind I used WIFI to upload my pictures. But this is another story (meybe in the future I will upgrade my hardware).

The main problem I see right now is that the eMMC has a partition in which I guess I had sensible data, and maybe as long as I can't mount this partition maybe the sistem can't see missing HD in the RAID, as well as the extra HD I used for torrent, plex and so on.

Here you have the details of the RAID:

If I can provide more info that you can use just let me know.

The partition I see as not mounted is the following:

/dev/mmcblk0p3/

And I can't mount it because I get the error I posted previously.

Thanks in advance.

• Hmm... hard to tell. If /dev/mmcblk0p3 does not mount cleanly you'd better try to run a fsck on it manually. And if that doesn't work restore the most recent backup.

But I still don't understand how that relates to your RAID that's missing one member it seems?

I have unplugged one of the HDs that it seems had a phisicall problem (the 2 Hd of the RAID), and voilá, the 3rd HD appeared.

The problem of /dev/mmcblk0p3/ still persists.

I'll keep you updated.

Going to try out the RAID HD in my PC.

Best regards, and thnkx again.

• Finally I was able to recover the system.

I tryed the HD from the RAID in my PC and it was OK.

The third HD was also OK.

So it seems that there is a power supply problem, because the Odroid XU4 is running with 3 HDs and I just provide power to the Odroid and as well to only the external HD, the third one which is not on the RAID.

I have provided power supply to the second HD of the RAID as well as for the third HD and now everything seems to be working OK.

Anyway it is truth that I should be upgrading my hardware anytime soon to extend the capacity of my RAID, and maybe upgrade the processor and RAM.

Tnahks all for your help.

EDIT: I forgot to say that the third partition on my eMMC is corrupted but as long as I don't use it I don't care. I got the following error:
    "ext4 error loading journal"
    I mounted "ro,noload" this partition and it came back to life, just to see there was no data on it.
    So I will format it although I don't need it.

• I have provided power supply to the second HD of the RAID as well as for the third HD and now everything seems to be working OK.

Well, underpowering is one of the most common reasons why things are failing with SBC. And that's also something that you should always keep in mind when playing RAID. Your RAID might behave well as long as you don't need the R in RAID. Then a disk fails for whatever reasons, your storage keeps up and running, you replace the failed disk with a new one, start the rebuild and everything is lost. Since high IO activity needs more juice, powering then becoming insufficient and leading to one of the remaining disks being also dropped from the array. Primitive RAID implementations then might decide to give up on the whole array. Always check that at least once, better twice!

Wrt ODROID-XU4: This thing is fast enough but a couple of issues affect reliability negatively (you might have already checked my signature for details?) and you should especially keep in mind that once you upgrade the kernel on your board when you have USB enclosures capable of UAS (USB Attached SCSI, way higher performance but also way higher power requirements in certain situations) you might run again in underpowering issues just due to a simple protocol switch from an old inefficient USB protocol to a more recent and highly efficient one: https://github.com/hardkernel/…3a#commitcomment-21996557

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!