Compile 4.10 Kernel for OMV 3/Debian 8?

• I'm currently using OMV 3 with 4.9 Kernel with a Intel Skylake CPU. I'm going to switch to Ryzen tomorrow and it require at least Kernel 4.10 to work properly with ECC.

Is there any way to compile or upgrade to the 4.10 Kernel even if its not in the jessie-backports?

OMV 4 - Ryzen 7 1700 (8 Cores / 16 Threads 65W TDP) - 32 GB DDR4 ECC
    128 GB OS SSD - 256 GB Plex SSD - 32 TB RAIDZ2 (6x8TB HGST NAS)

• Hey,

I got the kernel compiled and working but I've one issue. I need to merge/install the VirtualBox Modules into the Kernel Source but can't find any tutorials for this.

Here is what I've done so far:

I used this tutorial to add ZFS and SPL to the kernel https://www.linuxquestions.org…-linux-kernel-4175514510/ but I can't find any way to do it with VirtualBox. Might be cool if somebody can help me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Welcome to the bleeding edge. Nice to see amd innovating again. Does the new kernel get ecc working? I assume it does. I don't use virtualbox so I am not familiar with it. Or what version is installed by the plugin. I would look at this. VirtualBox Backport DKMS should build whatever modules you need. You may need to tweak it to use the source instead of headers. Not sure about that. DKMS may also handle zfs. Making future kernel updates easier.

Good luck

• Offizieller Beitrag

Virtualbox needs headers in the right location to match the kernel version. You have the headers installed since you compiled the kernel but you need to put them in the debian location. Look at where the other headers are.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the help.

I tried to install the headers with dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms but it failed - probably not compatible with 4.11. I'll try the link from @donh when I'm home on the weekend. Don't want to touch the kernel without having physical access to the Box.

@donh ECC seems to work fine - even with 4.9 as far as I can tell. If you are interested: Ryzen 7 1700 (8x3Ghz) with 2x16GB DDR4 (KVR24E17D8/16) on a ASUS Prime X370-Pro.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!