i915 hangs - ERROR* DC state mismatch - help needed

• since backport kernel
    Linux 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 0x2) / Freeze">#1 SMP Debian 4.8.15-2~bpo8+2 (2017-01-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    my ZFS Skylake system had sporadic hangs which stopped even the network segment to work. It looks that issue is related to i915 in firmware-misc-nonfree as described here

https://github.com/nisenbeck/ct-server-2016-jessie/issues/1 in German

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53227

How can I get the needed i915 firmware-misc-nonfree updated in the current used kernel ? - or is it safe to go back to Kernel 4.8.4 while using ZFS plugin?

Which earlier backport kernel <= 4.8.4 would you recommend?

Help highly appreciated

OMV 5 | 64 bit | backport kernels | latest omvextrasorg
    low power Skylake NAS build <= 10 watts idle (4 disks), Fujitsu D3417-B, 16GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAIDZ1, 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD boot.
    backup NAS HP Proliant N54L, 4GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAID 5, 30GB SATA boot.

• good point. so far the module is needed to reduce power esp. when i916 is not used - RC states.
    but you are right I could delete the module from being loaded to get a stable system back.
    preference would be to use the latest i915 fixes as desscriped in the links above.

low power Skylake NAS build <= 10 watts idle (4 disks), Fujitsu D3417-B, 16GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAIDZ1, 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD boot.
    backup NAS HP Proliant N54L, 4GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAID 5, 30GB SATA boot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are plenty of tutorials on the web on how to compile latest kernel and debianize the image. The arch linux recommends removing the fw or blacklisting the module, furthermore the github issue page has a link with deb package of kernel 4.11, you can try that one.

If you want to go back to another old kernel, that's no issue since the zfs dkms package compiles modules for each installed kernel.

• tried to blacklist the module with initramfs update etc. but still loading. There is a threat in forum that recommends to rename modules.
    Not sure if 4.11 and ZFS will work ... no time to experiemnt at this time. Next is trying to get older kernel up and running. Will try to find time over weekend.
    My preference is to keep as close as possible to the OMV debian setup if possible.

Any recommendation which backport kernel <=4.8.4 is suitable esp. with ZFS?

• Tried to deal with 4.11 but dependecies to build DKMS zfs module look tricky in OMV environment.

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.11.5-skylake (x86_64)Consult /var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.5.9/build/make.log for more information.

Now went back to 4.9 and installed latest updates available in the GUI
    4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2~bpo8+1 (2017-06-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    and firmware-misc-nonfree 20161130-2~bpo8+1

Is there a possibility to check if the bug was solved by these updates? I could not find here
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bi…age=firmware-misc-nonfree

System is up and running now for few hours...

• after some days machine crashed again.

Now have uninstalled i915 firmware.
    apt-get -t jessie-backports remove firmware-misc-nonfree

But how can I get information when this bug is resolved. Could not find anything here
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bi…age=firmware-misc-nonfree

• Offizieller Beitrag

Firmware non free.....no bugs there to fix by kernel maintainers, those are binary blobs provided by intel (for i915) and many other vendors.
    Maybe I am wrong and could be fixed at kernel module but I also don't see in any of the two links you posted a report to upstream kernel.
    If you want to get updated information maybe send a bug report to the Debian kernel maintainers so they should send a mail when is fixed or they get the binary updated from intel. I see that besides the package you can get them directly from intel.

• upstream bug reported was mentioned in Archlinux https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53227 in my 1st post above.

@subzero79 you were right not using i915 driver is feasible. Just measured that the server takes same power without loading the firmware. Consider this to be the permanent solution.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!