Samba server not visible on network

• Offizieller Beitrag

Debian is a very stable (conservative) distro. They do not jump to the latest version of components. They do patch the older versions to fix security or compatibility. I would think samba and win 10 would fall into that category. I don't use win 10 so I didn't look to see what the latest official packages fix.

• I actually have the same issue, very frustrating. I'm installing 2.x now though to see if it works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I actually have the same issue, very frustrating. I'm installing 2.x now though to see if it works.

Initially there are 2 things to ensure as far as W10 and OMV are concerned.....OMV>>>Network>>>>Domain name this should be the same as your windows workgroup.

OMV>>>>Network>>>>Intefaces double click your connection scroll and enter the DNS address of your home network.

I both cases save and apply....you may even have to restart both machines.

Another option although not usually necessary edit the host file on the windows machine.

• Initially there are 2 things to ensure as far as W10 and OMV are concerned.....OMV>>>Network>>>>Domain name this should be the same as your windows workgroup.
    OMV>>>>Network>>>>Intefaces double click your connection scroll and enter the DNS address of your home network.

I both cases save and apply....you may even have to restart both machines.

Another option although not usually necessary edit the host file on the windows machine.

Easy enough fixes but it didn't solve my issue, infact once I had performed a fresh installation everything worked including logging and graphs.

• Right now I see you're on a pi, Ok, same principle, under IPv4>>>Method on the drop down box select DHCP and that should solve it....obviously save>>>>apply.

Thank you for your time explaining this.

I did a complete new install of OMV unfortunately same problem (downloaded the latest RPI image from OMV and did all the updates). I can mount shares manually from my windows PC so I can work with OMV.

At the moment it is more a workaround than a real solution because i still don't see my RPI3 with OMV in my windows network section. But I'm out of the woods for now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you for your time explaining this.

I did a complete new install of OMV unfortunately same problem (downloaded the latest RPI image from OMV and did all the updates). I can mount shares manually from my windows PC so I can work with OMV.

At the moment it is more a workaround than a real solution because i still don't see my RPI3 with OMV in my windows network section. But I'm out of the woods for now.

TBH, two weeks ago I decided to kick W10 into as my main PC, but the rest of house is still using it, I did find the upgrade from W7 to W10 worked, but with a clean install of 10 is was a problem which took the best part of a day to sort.

I have recently installed omv on my Pi2B which will be an rsync server, but this could be seen on the windows machines and my linux mint laptop...those 2 settings on omv just seems to kick windows to life.

As I said the only other option is to add it to your hosts file on windows machine and see if that helps.

• This should help you out... i noticed you daemon for smbd was active (exiting), should be active (running)

just run the following command as sudo

mv /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL /sbin/start-stop-daemon

let me know if that is your fix.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!