Samba server not visible on network

• Hi all,

Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help. I had built a box with OMV 2, and it worked great. The usb drive that held the operating system broke (long story), and so I've upgraded to 3.0.79. Everything seems to be working: I can access the web GUI, I was able to install Plex (and view the content in the Plex server), but I can't actually access it through my network. It doesn't show up in the Network view on my computer, nor when I try to go directly to the machine's name/ip address in explorer.

I've mounted my drives, shared them in SMB/CIFS with guests allowed. I've created a user, and given it read/write access. SMB/CIFS is enabled. What am I missing here, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for whatever help I can get!

• The text reads:
    smbd.service - LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd)
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/smbd)
    Active: active (excited) since Thu 2017-06-22 22:54:04 EDT; 2 days ago
    Process: 12438 ExecReload=/etc/init.d/smbd reload (code = exited, status=0/SUCCESS

Jun 24 15:20:25 openmediavault systemd [1]: Reloaded LSB: start Samba SMB/CIF....
    Jun 25 01:29:57 openmediavault systemd [1]: Reloading LSB: start Samba SMB/CI....
    Jun 25 01:29:57 openmediavault smbd [14873]: Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf: smbd.
    Jun 25 01:29:57 openmediavault systemd [1]: Reloaded LSB: start Samba SMB/CIF....
    Jun 25 12:22:13 openmediavault systemd [1]: Reloading LSB: start Samba SMB/CI....
    Jun 25 12:22:13 openmediavault smbd [30383]: Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf: smbd.
    Jun 25 12:22:13 openmediavault systemd [1]: Reloaded LSB: start Samba SMB/CIF....
    Jun 25 21:00:07 openmediavault systemd [1]: Reloading LSB: start Samba SMB/CI....
    Jun 25 21:00:07 openmediavault smbd [12483]: Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf: smbd.
    Jun 25 21:00:07 openmediavault systemd [1]: Reloaded LSB: start Samba SMB/CIF....
    Hint: some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think samba is not running. Active: active (excited) since Thu 2017-06-22 22:54:04 EDT; 2 days ago

Here is what mine looks like. Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-06-23 14:06:47 MDT; 1 day 20h ago

Code
    root@omv3:~# systemctl status smbd
    ● smbd.service - LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd)
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/smbd)
       Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-06-23 14:06:47 MDT; 1 day 20h ago
      Process: 1007 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/smbd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
       CGroup: /system.slice/smbd.service
               └─1048 /usr/sbin/smbd -D

So I guess we need to figure out why. Have you looked at this? https://forum.openmediavault.o…res-not-visible/?pageNo=1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure what is going on, I have seen more samba problems in the last month or two. On the smb/cifs page the default log level is none. Change it to debug and start samba. systemctl start smbd Then look at the logs for a clue. Remember to set it back to none later.

Seems you are willing to try resolving this. If not the quickest way may be to try a reinstall. Of course that wont help others.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have seen more samba problems in the last month or two.

They definitely increased with people moving to samba4 and Win10. I can't replicate the slow speeds though. So, it is tough to find a one-fix-fixes-all solution.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

They definitely increased with people moving to samba4 and Win10. I can't replicate the slow speeds though. So, it is tough to find a one-fix-fixes-all solution.

I have tried to get it to replicate as well. I have done a dozen or more proxmox vms and can't get a problem either. It may be a hardware problem but I am only guessing. I have not seen anyone using vms posting problems. May be only a coincidence.

• I'm not at home right now, I'll try the suggestions above this evening. To be clear: I'll do just about anything to get this working; this is what I was using to store my daughter's baby photos for her first year until it busted, I'll to whatever it takes to be able to get to those files (thank god the Plex extension is working!)

• Offizieller Beitrag

That the samba share is not visible in the network, does not mean there is an issue with the data.
    I understand you can still see the pictures in Plex. So the data are still there.
    If you do not have a backup, yet, it is probably about time.

For this you could connect an USB drive and use the USB backup plugin to copy the folder on the USB drive.

Alternative would be to use FileZilla or Win SCP.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have tried to get it to replicate as well. I have done a dozen or more proxmox vms and can't get a problem either. It may be a hardware problem but I am only guessing. I have not seen anyone using vms posting problems. May be only a coincidence.

I have tried on ESXi VMs (32 and 64 bit) and a lot of physical machines (one amd64 system and lots of arm boards). The only thing I haven't tried is 32 bit on a physical machine.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi

I'm not at home right now, I'll try the suggestions above this evening. To be clear: I'll do just about anything to get this working; this is what I was using to store my daughter's baby photos for her first year until it busted, I'll to whatever it takes to be able to get to those files (thank god the Plex extension is working!)

You should no longer have access to the data .. in emergency, there is still photorec
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

• Offizieller Beitrag

There have been a number of threads regarding W10 and smb, I even had a recent problem that my Mint laptop could not connect to my windows shared printer.
    Initially the 32 bit laptops have not been a problem but my 64 bit took the best part of day to resolve, after the recent printer issue I now have two settings enabled in the registry;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servies\LanmanServer\Parameters

on the right you should see SMB1 and SMB2 with the type REG_DWORD these will either have a (1) = enabled or (0) = disabled if either are disabled enable them.

Control Panel>>>Programs and Features>>>Turn Windows features on or off scroll down the list and check SMB 1.0/CIFS and SMB Direct are checked.

Control Panel>>>Network and Sharing Center>>>Advanced sharing settings turn on network discovery and Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices.

After each process reboot.....

For smbstatus to return any information explorer has to be open on windows, if not smbstatus will return empty as does your screenshot, if I run this on my omv with explorer open on my w10 laptop it populates showing SMB3_00.

I also do not use my ms account to login nor a pin, just a local account, and that's the same on all the other w10 laptops.

There is another way of a force connect which did work....but at the moment I can't find the info

• Offizieller Beitrag

The first step in this thread is to get samba running. If it is not running nothing else will help.

Another test to see if it is running would be.

Code
    root@omv3:~# ps aux |grep smb
    root      1095  0.0  0.3 291876 14040 ?        Ss   14:09   0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
    root      2342  0.0  0.0  12732  2224 pts/0    S+   15:39   0:00 grep smb
  • I have read around the net that Windows10 is incompatible with samba4 until 4.3. Unfortunatly, it's samba 4.2 that is installed with OMV3.
    You have to install samba 4.3 or later to make it work with W10.

I hope the makers of omv will soon put a samba 4.3 or samba 4.4 in the repositories.
    That's not the case for the moment.
    So I did something a bit brutal whitch works but I can't tell the unstability I could generate for the future : I installed samba4.5 from stretch ditrib and not from jessie.
    The problem, stretch is based on debian9 and not 8.

I wrote a thread on that problem.
    It works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have read around the net that Windows10 is incompatible with samba4 until 4.3. Unfortunatly, it's samba 4.2 that is installed with OMV3.
    You have to install samba 4.3 or later to make it work with W10.

I am using W10 with samba 4.2.14 on OMV. No issue. Is working fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!