HP Microserver G7 N54L - what storage scenario?

• Hello,

I have the HP Microserver G7 N54L in which I can put 5 hdds and I have 5x2TB disks.
    The Openmediavault needs one disk for OS.

What are your suggestions for organizing rest of the storage? I care about data security and flexibility.

• To use one of the 2 TB drives for OMV OS is a waste of space. 16 or 32 GB should be fine. Maybe you think of using an USB thumbdrive as boot media with flash-memory-plugin. So you could put those 5x2 TB in a Raid 6.

Raid 5/6 with 4 drives sould be fine as well.

security and flexibility ....

A Raid is quite flexible, you can add drives, grow volumes, remove drives, migrate Raid level and so on. You do not have protection from silent data corruption. Therefore you could stick to ZFS, but you'll need lots of RAM and you'll lack a litte in flexibility since no drives can be added to an existing ZRaid-Pool. For security you could set up an luks encrypted partition.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von riff-raff ()

• I found out that I can put 6 hdds into my HP Microserver G7 N54L. This is because of avaiable esata port.

OMV on USB and RAID6 on disks

Is OMV on USB stick a proper solution?

• OMV on USB is a proper solution when Flash-Memory-Plugin is used. It reduces read/write cycles to the thumb drive to prevent corrupt cells. To be more secure, you could use a drive with SLC cells as well.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

• Would you still recommend for N54L USB if I have in plan to run: Plex - for photos (tons of items - Banana Pi was't happy with it), UrBackup, Rsync, Transmission,.. And I might have play with surveillance....
    Loud a little thought:
    Everything should be OK, just to have enough RAM. Only that Plex madness which I do with Photos (I can't find reasonable way to browse my photos once I'm outside of my LAN. I guess VPN and SAMBA should replace it easily? ... Damn VPN is not yet available for OMV 4.. Never easy way.. I might downgrade OMV to 3 while I can.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!