Docker - Desperately wanting to understand Permissions

• So, I have been using docker for the past few months for things like plexpy and jackett. this that do not truly need permissions. I so want to move back to qbittorrent just because i like it and I can tell it to extract my videos. I have on many occasions attempt to get qbittorrent working but i always get hung up on the permissions.

can someone point me in the right direction to make this simpleton learn it. I know i have to assign the ud's but how and with what permission gets me every time. yes someone "jsut doing it" for me would be great but then i wouldn't understand how to do it for myself next time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure how you're using it, but I use qtorrent on a client. In essence, I can't tell you what to do to get qbittorent working on a server, in Docker.

Understanding Linux / Unix permissions and their effects is not an easy task. First it takes understanding, which translates to reading and a bit of study. Then after gaining a bit of knowledge, you're going to have to experiment to see what the effects are. There are no short cuts, if you want to understand permissions, but with time and a bit of dedication, you'll get there. You can start here - > Understanding Permissions

((However, this is command line oriented which, while futzing around in a terminal, can detract from understanding permissions.))

I have a good grasp of Windows permissions which are slightly different from Linux / Unix and, needlessly, more complicated. On the other hand, I think the advantage of windows permissions is the graphical environment where you'd be making decisions and / or experimenting without the need for worrying about command line parameters, switches, syntax errors, etc.

With that in mind, if you have a Windows client to launch it from, I'd recommend WinSCP as a tool to help in learning. (WinSCP will run in Linux WINE as well) It will connect to OMV VIA SSH and will even import your connection(s) from putty. After supplying the root user name and password, you'll have a graphic file environment. In the right hand pane, you can right click on a file or folder, look at it's permissions, and simply check boxes to make changes. Later, you can apply what you learn to the CLI.

BTW: If you have a fast client with a good amount of memory, running OMV as a virtual machine in Virtual Box is good way to experiment freely without hosing up your server. In a VM, you can take a snap shot, trash the virtual server and restore it easily.

I realize that this is not what you may be looking for, but I sincerely hope it helps.

• I have a i7 6700T with 32 gb ram running my OMV so the horsepower should be there to run a 2nd OMV to "fiddle around" I know windows permissions also it's just the Docker permission/linux ones that get me. It might be that i'm hesitant as this is my wife's main entertainment during the day so I don't want to break stuff. i'll try your winscp with wine idea also.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i7 with 32 gb? Man, that's impressive hardware. I have an i3-4130 with 12 gb and it's the fastest box in the house!

I verified that WinSCP will run inside WINE and connect by SSH, as it should. I tested it in a Linux Mint client.

I can't stress enough how much can be learned by fiddling around with an OMV VM. I learned more about software RAID and mdadm commands in a VM, than I'd ever dare to try in the real world.

Unlike in production environments, with VM's you can "fix it" :rolleyes: until it's "broken" 8o without a consequence. You can break it and start again, without having to start from ground zero with a full reinstall.

A VM is definitely the place to try things out before risking a dent in the marriage. :D

• i'm in the field as a SCCM admin and Product tester so it helps that I get free stuff sent to me to see it'll be good for my environment. I have 7 SSD's at home doing nothing even. my own system though is a i7 2600k

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have 7 SSD's at home doing nothing even.

8o What??

Well, if those SSD's are getting in your way,, I'll pay the postage....
    (We don't want any trip hazards around the place... :D )

• they aren't anything special, 850 Evo's 3 250gb and 4 500 gb lol.. Honestly if I was going to get rid of any i'd sell them. Underpriced as I don't have receipts, If this place had a market i'd place them on it. maybe like 125-140 for the 500s 75 for the 250's

• Offizieller Beitrag

they aren't anything special, 850 Evo's 3 250gb and 4 500 gb lol.. Honestly if I was going to get rid of any i'd sell them. Underpriced as I don't have receipts, If this place had a market i'd place them on it. maybe like 125-140 for the 500s 75 for the 250's

Actually, with the flash memory plugin, I'm happy with USB drives as a boot drive. They're easy to duplicate on a client, as in a few clicks of a mouse. (This also frees up a SATA port.) And in the Linux server world, after the boot process completes, boot drive performance has very little impact on the operation of the server. At that point most of the NAS server components of OMV are loaded into, and running from, RAM.

For data drives, while much slower than SSD's, spinning drives have more capacity. On the client side, an SSD is great for high end gaming but I'm not really into that. So, for me, the concept of the SSD and their blinding speed is something of a fascination, but not something I need.

Cheers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!