System Logs - monit, unable to read file system - repeats every few seconds

• OMV 3.0.81

Earlier today, I used the GUI to remove a folder that I was sharing via Samba. Then, through the command line I destroyed the zpool and created a new one. This worked and I proceed to create a new folder which I shared through Samba.

I looked at the System Logs. Every few seconds there is an alert from monit about the old zpool tank0 (which was destroyed) and the old filesystem - vol0 which was also destroyed.

monit[2729]: Device /tank0/vol0 not found in /etc/mtab
    monit[2729]: 'fs_tank0_vol0' unable to read filesystem '/tank0/vol0' state

How do I correct this so that the alerts stop and also to update the system to remove these old, no-longer-applicable references?
    Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is a bad idea to administrate various issues via CLI. You need to remove the previous file system via UI to update the database and the monitoring backend to get rid of the messages. Especially filesystems must be managed via UI because all monitoring services and others are based on the database settings that are triggered when a file system is created/deleted.

• It is a bad idea to administrate various issues via CLI. You need to remove the previous file system via UI to update the database and the monitoring backend to get rid of the messages. Especially filesystems must be managed via UI because all monitoring services and others are based on the database settings that are triggered when a file system is created/deleted.

@votdev
    I have a similar issue but how to fix it. I did remove the it via the UI but the system had crash. when i restarted the entry was not in the UI anymore nor was it in the config.xml or fstab.

• This was a standalone SATA drive with a NTFS partition on it that I temporally connected to copy (rsync) data off of and onto my zfs pool.

The above steps were completed, however the system is still looking for it.

Here's the exact errors:

monit[2551]: 'fs_srv_dev-disk-by-label-Backup' unable to read filesystem '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backup' state

monit[2551]: Device /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backup not found in /etc/mtab

• No luck, I putty'd into the server and used nano.

The referenced device does show up in either file. If you look at the second line it states it can't find it in mtab so something else must be referencing it.

Unfortunately I can't simply re-install the drive and back track, it had bad sectors and I tossed it!

Based on the messages above it's looking for a file system (NTFS) that no longer exists.

Any other files to check?

BTW, I tried disabling SMART and SMB, rebooted, then re-enabled them. The errors returned.

• Depending on how far you're into your configuration, importing your new pool into a fresh OMV build is a nice clean option.
    Let me put that out there.

SO, next!

I searched high and low, nothing referencing the NTFS drive at all.

How do I do a fresh load and import my existing ZFS pool without losing my data?

You many have mentioned this but what utility do you use to duplicate your flashdrive? I have a second one waiting to be copied to, I guess I should have done that BEFORE adding and/or removing the drive...

• FIXED!!!

Your not going to believe this...

First, let me tell you I wouldn't have been able to fix this without your help and troubleshooting everything else first to get to this point, but in the end it was as simple as....

Turning Monitoring off under the Monitoring menu, saving it, re-enabling it and saving it again. I no longer get any errors related to the ghosted filesystem.

I stumbled upon this fix by accident. I followed the Monit article you listed above but wasn't paying attention based on the article I thought the only lines I had to deal with were the set httpd and allow admin, however the default on OMV has everything except the allow admin line un-commented which means the "use address localhost" is active, only allowing localhost connectivity. We'll about the time I figured that out I decided to turn monitoring on and off and it fixed the issue. Not to mention it automatically re-wrote the monitrc file back to it's defaults. So if you screw up the file, turning monitoring off and back on will fix that too!

Off to clone my thumb drive and test it!

Next, I'll be looking at adding a second NIC and enabling a Team...

Thanks for everything

• Turning Monitoring off under the Monitoring menu, saving it, re-enabling it and saving it again. I no longer get any errors related to the ghosted filesystem.

Thank you for posting your solution, I had the same issue when I had attached an external USB HDD that the mini-PC kept ejecting and there was no way to properly remove it in OMV.
    I followed your instruction in the UI (System > Monitoring > Enable=Off) and even cleaned up the logs in CLI to confirm upon reboot. Indeed the error is gone upon reboot.
    Great find, many thanks, works in OMV 4.x

OpenMediaVault 6.9.13-1 • Intel NUC NUC6CAYH • Intel Celeron J3455 • 2x4GB RAM • Samsung 870 QVO 4TB • USB Boot (System)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!