rsync is too smart for me

• (doesn't the topic sound much better than "I'm too stupid for rsync"?)

I managed to set up my OMV server now (with more than a little help from this forum, thanks again to the people involved), and now I'm trying to move all data from my old Synology NAS to the new one with rsync. I use the following command line:

rsync -rtv --exclude @eaDir/ rsync://admin@<syno-ip>:/<syno-directory>/ /srv/<omv-drive>/<omv-directory>

(@eaDir is a directory that the Synology OS creates for shared folders.)

I am not using the -a option because I don't want to preserve the owners and groups from the old NAS.

Now my problem is that the directory structure from the source directory is replicated accurately at the destination, but only the files in the root level are actually copied. So I end up with a lot of empty directories (and missing files).

I thought it might have something to do with write permissions to the directories, so I added the -p switch, but the result is the same.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• rsync -rtv --exclude @eaDir/ rsync://admin@<syno-ip>:/<syno-directory>/ /srv/<omv-drive>/<omv-directory>

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

rsync -rtv --exclude @eaDir/ rsync://admin@<syno-ip>:/<syno-directory>/* /srv/<omv-drive>/<omv-directory>

Little, but important :)
    HTH

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Thanks, seems to be working now!

Though I have to admit I don't understand why. Why does the star have an influence on the files in the subdirectories, but not the subdirectories themselves?

• IIWII :)

/ just copies the /, its files and the directory structure, /* takes the data in the subdirectories, too. Was a hard way to find out, but never asked the maintainer why he did it that way 8o

HTH

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!