Move installation from flash to HDD

• I'm using OMV 3.0.81 on a BananaPi. It's been running quite smoothly for about a week now, so I'd say so far so good. :)

The boot drive is a sd card and the data drive at this moment is a WD Red attached via SATA. I am considering moving everything to the attached HDD with the nand-sata-install tool provided by armbian, but I'd first like to have some questions cleared up:

• Is there any speedup to be expected after boot? If not, are there any other advantages maybe?
    • Is nand-sata-install meant to be executed while all services are up and running? My gut tells me no. What's the safest way to do the transfer?

Thanks for any help!

• Is there any speedup to be expected after boot? If not, are there any other advantages maybe?

There won't be any speedups unless you're using a really crappy and dog slow SD card. Surprisingly boot times are not related to SD card speed/crappiness: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…findComment&comment=30835

And with default settings this OMV/Armbian thing absolutely minimizes writes to the rootfs so if you see some speedups then most probably the SD card is already dying and then you'll not be able to boot any more soon. Main disadvantage when moving the rootfs to a HDD: disk spindown will be an issue since the few writes from time to time will trigger permanent disk spinups. So only think about this if you prevent disks from spinning down at all (not a good idea IMO if the NAS is not used 24/7 constantly)

Is nand-sata-install meant to be executed while all services are up and running? My gut tells me no. What's the safest way to do the transfer?

I tried to enhance behaviour here twice: 1st was to run rsync two times to catch files that have been changed while the initial sync is running, second is to stop most if not all services prior to syncing. After reboot you can/should check /var/log/nand-sata-install.log since files that were open for writing after the sync has happened are listed there. If you spot there something important there's a chance that nand-sata-install created a problem.

When I started with this OMV on ARM adventure few months ago I tested this maybe 20 times and never ran in an issue after implementing the 'stop running services' tweak. So should be save but I wouldn't do it when the target is spinning rust (HDD) and not a SSD or an USB thumb drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!