Advices on what to run omv with

• Hi,

I plan on building a new machine with omv. My previous machine is out of HDD space. The board I plan to get has 6 sata ports. Since I would like to keep all 6 for data drives, I would be left with 2 options...

Option 1:
    running omv from a USB stick

Option 2:
    Getting a external case(USB or esata) and use my 64gb ssd drive in it.

If option 1 is the better choice, so you have any flash drives to suggest or any particular features it should have?

If it is option 2, im guessing any case will do?

This is for a long term machine.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• I use Option one.
    With Flash Memory plug-in.

This is what I have: SanDisk Ultra Fit CZ43 16GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s http://a.co/im32Auo

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ajaja ()

• I use option 2.

16GB 2.5in SATA SSD in external USB case with flash memory plugin. I got the case on ebay for $8US.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I use Option one.
    With Flash Memory plug-in.

Anything i need to know about the type of drive to get?

I use option 2.

16GB 2.5in SATA SSD in external USB case with flash memory plugin. I got the case on ebay for $8US.

yeah they are cheap...i just want to make the best long term choice

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use option 1, a USB drive on my server and an SD card for my backup server (an R-PI).

My reasons for using flash media are:
    - They're easy to duplicate on a client, as in with a few clicks of a mouse. (Using Win32 Disk Imager.) This also frees up a SATA port.
    - And in the Linux server world, after the boot process completes, boot drive performance has very little impact on the operation of the server. At that point most of the NAS server components of OMV are loaded into, and running from, RAM.
    - Since USB media is relatively inexpensive, it's possible to have a full backup (an actual clone) of your boot drive, ready to go. If something happens to your working drive, just replace it with the clone.

If you use a USB drive, the plugin "flash memory" that ajaja mentioned is absolutely required. Without it, OMV / Debian will write to the USB drive continuously and wear it out in no time. With the plugin, well,, I've been using SD cards for years. I've had 2 problems so far and the 1rst was due to NOT using the flash memory plugin. (And since I had cloned replacements, in both instances, neither case was a big deal.)
    If you install the plugin, read (and follow) the instructions on the plugin's page. A bit of manual config file editing is required or the plugin won't do you any good.

On the recommendation for a USB drive:
    - If you get a USB 3.0 drive, throughput is similar to a hard drive (but as noted above, high performance is not really needed).
    - Get a name brand like San-Disk. Don't get a cheap generic.
    - Get something in the 8 to 32 GB range. Only 8GB is needed, but it's getting hard to find them in that size. Anything larger than 32GB won't do any good, and imaging / cloning big USB drives takes longer.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you for your detailed answer, i will be doing that.

A last thought, since you're going to do a USB boot drive:

You can use your cloned USB drive as a bit of insurance when upgrading OMV. Keep your clone on the older version until you've had a chance to thoroughly test software upgrades. (A week or two.)

It's only happened to me once, when OMV 3.X was in beta, but an upgrade went south. With the clone on hand, I quickly and gracefully backed out. Again, a clone (or 2?) is a bit of cheap insurance against bad events.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!