USB Drive Formated with HFS+

• Hi

I have a external USB Drive with a HFS+ partition and some Backup info.
    I can mount this in the File Systems section, however that is only Read only and as such I cannot share this in the shares sections to enable me to use this with rsync.
    Is there a way to mount these file systems from the GUI so I can still use this in the shares section.

Regards

• All HFS+ features that were added the last decade (eg. directory based hardlinks or transprarent file compression) were added in a backwards compatible way. The Linux HFS+ implementation doesn't know about most of this so while you technically can access such a filesystem the representation of contents will be different anyway.

Adding to that: HFS+/macOS use UTF-8 decomposed as encoding (correct choice since recommended decades ago) while the rest of the world chose UTF-8 precomposed (since Microsoft used this and everyone else thought: let's stay compatible with them instead of doing it right). UTF-8 knows 4 different normalization forms with 2 in the wild and the one used on macOS being the one no one else uses.

Direct result: You rsync around, umlauts look like umlauts afterwards but are stored difrerently and as soon as you try to access (overwrite) such files/directories all hell breaks loose. Since my post is for search engines: convmv is the tool that will you save your a** once that happened.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!