Installing OMV

    • OMV 3.x
    • Installing OMV

      One simple question. I assume I will need a monitor connected to an HP microserver to install OMV ? The server just has a vga port on it. My main monitor has a vga connector plus others so can cope but wonder if I am likely to need a monitor connected later after it's installed - for if it's "broken" etc.?

      The other question is not so simple. I wondered about a remote management card for it. Couldn't find one but did come across a lightsout card that looks very similar - cut down version just like the ones for the microserver. Sold from china and very cheap. I bought one on the basis that it could be resold if it doesn't work on the microserver. I don't know if these cards need any additional software to function on Linux or if that needs to be installed in the server or the pc that's connected to. Anyone know? Finding the software might prove challenging as well.

      John
      -
    • johnw wrote:

      One simple question. I assume I will need a monitor connected to an HP microserver to install OMV ? The server just has a vga port on it. My main monitor has a vga connector plus others so can cope but wonder if I am likely to need a monitor connected later after it's installed - for if it's "broken" etc.?
      You only need for first time , to install OMV on destination boot drive. (you need monitor and keyboard

      Once done, you do not need it, because all configuration can be done by webGUI ( and by SSH if webGUI fails).
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

      Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • johnw wrote:



      The other question is not so simple. I wondered about a remote management card for it. Couldn't find one but did come across a lightsout card that looks very similar - cut down version just like the ones for the microserver. Sold from china and very cheap. I bought one on the basis that it could be resold if it doesn't work on the microserver. I don't know if these cards need any additional software to function on Linux or if that needs to be installed in the server or the pc that's connected to. Anyone know? Finding the software might prove challenging as well.

      John
      -
      Better if you buy a motherbard or a NAS that have one included, read about IPMI (HP Servers) and iDRAC (Dell Servers), you can buy and old server for a rasonable price ( eg: HP gen7 54L) or gen 8 = amazon.es/HP-ProLiant-MicroSer…fRID=PDJYCPHRAZP9X4VKKXAR
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

      Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • raulfg3 wrote:

      johnw wrote:

      Better if you buy a motherbard or a NAS that have one included, read about IPMI (HP Servers) and iDRAC (Dell Servers), you can buy and old server for a rasonable price ( eg: HP gen7 54L) or gen 8 = amazon.es/HP-ProLiant-MicroSer…fRID=PDJYCPHRAZP9X4VKKXAR

      Sorry about the double quote.

      I bought the microserver some time ago after HP had bought out a newer model. It was dirt cheap. I intended to convert it to a nas but wasn't happy about the nas software I could find at the time so it remained unused. I ended up fitting raid into my pc instead. Simpler solution for me as my main interest is not loosing my data. I did this because my pc is a far more disk friendly environment for hard drives than some simple commercial nas's. I have some ideas about improving the microserver in that respect.

      :) One good thing about it - took the board out last night and was surprised that it was fitted with 8gb of ram. I must have been lucky as it was advertised as being lower.

      So the main question still remains - do these hp remote management cards need additional software on linux or a kernel driver etc. It's a simple version that just has a network port and looks the same as the ones that would normally be fitted to a microserver.

      John
      -
    • SoftvalMedia wrote:

      just install it through the ILO integrated remote console
      Interesting, so more people know how 'similar looking' cheap stuff from China works? :P

      We're still talking about this:

      johnw wrote:

      I wondered about a remote management card for it. Couldn't find one but did come across a lightsout card that looks very similar - cut down version just like the ones for the microserver. Sold from china and very cheap
      (due to the use cases -- 24/7 -- we never bought the remote management cards for the N36L/N54L since a crappy spare VGA LCD + PS/2 keyboard + USB adapter already lying around for exactly those rare occations)
    • I did have a spare monitor. It spent a month or two on ebay and was eventually placed outside the house and days later some one took it away. Mouse and keyboard are no problem.

      True the card might not work on a microserver but it will work on some hp servers so can be sold on. For the sake of £12 I thought it's worth a try. Might just be different metalwork. Current price of the correct one used rather than new seems to be circa £70 - I could buy a small monitor for less.

      :/ It's seller refurbished in China. That could mean almost anything.

      I'm not sure what generation microserver it is - but not gen8 with a silver door. Think it's the model before that.

      John
      -