impossible to reach SMB or Minidlna

• OMV 3.x
    • Resolved
    • impossible to reach SMB or Minidlna

Hello,

I have just installed with great difficulty omv 3.0.82 (half a day!!! on a motherboard Appollo Lake J3455-itx.
      I just discovered how bad was my choice to take a recent processor. I was thinking only on energy saving.
      But even with a finished installation, problems go on, and on.
      Impossible to make Samba work or minidlna.
      my config : motherboard j3455-itx, 2 hdd (btrfs) in unionfilesystem (mergerfs) on SATA, 8gb ram and 1tb hdd for the system (ext4) connected via usb3 adaptator inboard.
      I use the lan onboard (eth1) and a usb3 lan adaptator (eth0) because the onboard lan was a nightmare for days, sometimes seeing it, sometimes not. So I have 2 ip to connect omv
      192.168.0.26 (eth0) and 192.168.0.41 (eth1). Even SSH is very unstable.
      I'm waiting for a third hdd to configure snapraid.

I also have another server working with omv 2 pretty well. I used the same parameters in vain.
      would appreciate your help! (I'm not an expert in linux)
    • severall sugestion ( you can try or not).

1 - Do not use mergerFS and BTRFS disk. use BTFRS Disk alone or better use Ext4 + MergerFS or Ext4 + Raid 5
      2 - Do not use a 1TB USB Disk as boot-Disk, use a small and cheap SSD like: alternate.es/Transcend/TS32GSS…lido/html/product/1223774?
      3 - Reserve 1TB as data Disk
      4 - Use only onboard LAN, if still inconsisten use PCI LAN , never USB LAN, eg: alternate.es/Intel/Gigabit-CT-…de-red/html/product/49027?

asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455-ITX/?cat=Specifications
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • I used to have a ssd for the system but it started to have access problem so I transfered my installation with clonezilla on the only disk I had left the hdd 1tb 2.5 inch.
      I'm waiting for a new ssd drive.
      I will try to change the file system to ext4+mergerfs.
      I'm also trying to install debian 8.8 first than omv 3.0
      I upgraded my motherboard bios ( they pretend to improve compatibility).
    • Do not install Debian First, do a normal Fresh install from OMV ISO, and update to latest OMV

Install Debian first is for power user that know what are doing, Do not suppose benefit for you.
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • that's what I did in the first place. I installed omv 3.0.7x (more than 4 hours...) and upgraded it to 3.0.82 than used the omv-firstaid to configure the network.
      With update came a lot of firmware paquets.
      Still unstable. Now and then the webgui refuse to open. I try on another computer, works. A few minutes later, it's the other way.
      Used apt-get install --reinstall Openmediavault. Didn't help.
      And I discovered that there is one parameter missing on omv 3 when sharing a folder on smb, the line shared name doesn't exist anymore compared to omv2. Don't know if it's with purpose or not.
      And too late launched installation of debian non free install with the realtek firmware added. It's going to be a long afternoon. I don't know what's so different with this motherboard that it takes so infinetly long to install a linux distrib.
      Will see the result this evening
    • OK, after an installation of debian whitch was even slower, I returned to omv 3.0.83 install. If it was as slow as the my first atempt, I must admit that OMV turns better.
      And After sme digging, discovered that Windows 10 is incompatible with samba 4.2 ...whitch is installed on my OMV!!!
      I have found a way to compile samba 4.4.2 on jessie
      oehl.tv/samba-4-3-auf-debian-8-2-installieren-jessie/
      Do you think it is long before samba 4.4.x is implemented in an omv package?
    • I found that solution a bit complicated and canceled it before the end.
      I did in root :
      nano /etc/apt/sources.list

I added this line :
      deb http:/ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stretch main

then :
      apt-get update
      apt-get install samba

After I removed the line with stretch
      apt-get clean
      apt-get autoremove

If i write this :
      samba -V

I get :
      Version 4.5.8-Debian

And now I can see my server on my Windows 10!
      I hope not to have instability due to the dependecies installed.

The post was edited 1 time, last by jallo2405 ().

• the copy of sources.list

deb ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie main
      deb-src ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie main

deb security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
      deb-src security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'

deb ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
      deb-src ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free

deb ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main non-free
      deb ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stretch main

I deleted the last line after installing samba because I was scared that an apt-get get upgrade would upgrade a lot of packages and would put all the system in a very unstable state.
      Just for the try I did it with letting the strech deb.

apt-get update
      apt-get upgrade

It downloaded a lot of packages. Now Plexmediaserver doesn't work anymore (now I can't install it anymore)

root@omv2:/etc/apt# apt-get install plexmediaserver
      Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
      Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
      Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
      plexmediaserver is already the newest version (1.7.5.4035-313f93718).
      0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 97 non mis à jour.
      2 partiellement installés ou enlevés.
      Après cette opération, 0 o d'espace disque supplémentaires seront utilisés.
      Souhaitez-vous continuer ? [O/n] o
      Paramétrage de collectd-core (5.7.1-1.1) ...
      Job for collectd.service failed. See 'systemctl status collectd.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
      invoke-rc.d: initscript collectd, action "start" failed.
      dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet collectd-core (--configure) :
      le sous-processus script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1
      Paramétrage de plexmediaserver (1.7.5.4035-313f93718) ...
      Job for plexmediaserver.service failed. See 'systemctl status plexmediaserver.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
      dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet plexmediaserver (--configure) :
      le sous-processus script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1
      Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
      collectd-core
      plexmediaserver

no worry. I have a clonezilla disk image before all these tries

The post was edited 2 times, last by jallo2405 ().

• jallo2405 wrote:

And After sme digging, discovered that Windows 10 is incompatible with samba 4.2 ...whitch is installed on my OMV!!!
      Curious to know where you picked that up.

Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
      #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
      Absolutely no Support via PM!

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.
    • jallo2405 wrote:

And After sme digging, discovered that Windows 10 is incompatible with samba 4.2
      Always worked for me...
      omv 4.1.19 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!