Fresh RPI3 image + update => error upgrading openmediavault then unusable

• I have booted the latest RPI3 image (3.0.63 erasmus). Afterward i attempted to update and 3 packages were left out openmediavault openmediavault-omvextrasorg openmediavault-resetperms.
    Tried upgrading from web-ui then terminal. Tried apt-get -f install, tried removing the openmediavault then reinstalling same issue (see log). It basically becomes unusable.

Rewrote the sd card 3 times same results.

I am a bit of a newb to linux, but despite trying i could not find anything on this: ntp.service (bolded below). I believe it has sth to do with network time protocol, but that is the ntpd process which is running.

Here seems to be the issue:
    Setting up openmediavault (3.0.83) ...

Configuration file '/etc/default/openmediavault'
    ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
    ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
    ==> Using current old file as you requested.
    Installing new version of config file /etc/rsyslog.d/openmediavault-pamtally2.conf ...
    Updating configuration database ...
    Running migration conf_3.0.68
    Updating configuration ...
    /usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper: error: unable to read ntp.service
    dpkg: error processing package openmediavault (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault-omvextrasorg:
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg depends on openmediavault (>= 3.0.67); however:
    Package openmediavault is not configured yet.

Extended log.

• I was able to reproduce. dpkg.log here.

@ryecoaaron: Might be an idea to switch over from Raspbian to a clean armhf Debian as base? At the same time leaving old ARMv6 userland behind and switch to ARMv7?

Might be worth a test to replace the whole userland on the ext4 partition except /boot and /lib/modules (4.4.* stuff removed) with the one from my most recent images (Clearfolg) and then

• rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list
    • echo "raspberrypi" >/etc/hostname
    • echo -e "snd-bcm2835\nipv6\nr8152\nax88179_178a" >/etc/modules
    • Some slight modifications below /etc/update-motd to do an Armbian unbranding

If a test is successful and you figure out which repo to add to just get rpi kernel/firmware upgrades but no Raspbian userland stuff I can generate a fresh OMV/Armbian image for you with these fixes applied. But I won't assemble this userland with the FAT32 stuff on the /boot partition.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll give it a shot but I am going to be on vacation for the next four days with little or no internet.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I look forward to your work. Thanks for the effort. While waiting, is there any way to install plugins without triggering an update on openmediavault? every plugin seems to also update omv and then everything goes bad.

Considering that here is the problem, what could be the source? permissions issues or is it looking for the process somewhere else?
    Updating configuration database ...
    Running migration conf_3.0.68
    Updating configuration ...
    /usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper: error: unable to read ntp.service
    dpkg: error processing package openmediavault (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

• I'll give it a shot but I am going to be on vacation for the next four days with little or no internet.

I assembled something from your latest image and the Clearfog rootfs. At least it works almost like a charme: http://sprunge.us/PTSC

But adding to the above measures it's also important to overwrite /etc/fstab in the end with the defaults:

Code
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
    /dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
    /dev/mmcblk0p2  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1

'apt upgrade' worked flawlessly.

• Thank you! Trying it now.

Update:
    @tkaiser Yasss!! Thanks again, everything works perfectly, the boot-up time was not as bad as you said, roughly 5 minutes on sd card.

• everything works perfectly, the boot-up time was not as bad as you said, roughly 5 minutes on sd card.

This depends more or less on the SD card used. The most important factor is high random IO write performance and that's why I only use SanDisk Extreme Pro or even Plus (yeah, the 'twice the price' variant) or if endurance isn't top priority then Samsung EVO+ with either 32GB or 64GB (the larger the longer until they wear out): https://forum.armbian.com/inde…/954-sd-card-performance/

BTW: Final RPi 2/3 image released few hours ago. I would believe @ryecoaaron will upload this on Sourceforge after some testing...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would believe @ryecoaaron will upload this on Sourceforge after some testing...

Done.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please replace readme.txt there with an updated version outlining some important stuff

readme has been updated.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Errors were encountered while processing:
    openmediavault
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg
    openmediavault-resetperms

Same problem for me with a fresh RPi 2 install with omv_rpi2_rpi3_3.0.63.img
    No problem with updating everything else.
    When trying to update those 3 packages, the webgui login window always disappear, only the blue OMV backgroung is here, the only way to get it working again is restoring the .img on the sdcard :'((

Sad 1st try on OMV for me :s

• Same problem for me with a fresh RPi 2 install with omv_rpi2_rpi3_3.0.63.img

This whole thread is about obviously this specific older OMV image running in dependency problems NOW since based on Raspbian. We spent some hours to rebase OMV on a true Debian userland which is available now as OMV_3_0_79_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.35.7z which is confirmed to work (at least no dependency hassles, see above!)

So why don't you follow these steps: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991 (test your SD card first, use Etcher to burn the image, be somewhat patient since this new image needs up to 15 minutes on 1st boot to finish installation with network cable connected and then reboots once), try it again and report back here?

@ryecoaaron: On https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/ the older images are still available. Maybe hiding/removing them to save users from running into this issue again and avoiding confusion?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe hiding/removing them to save users from running into this issue again and avoiding confusion?

I removed them.

• This whole thread is about obviously this specific older OMV image running in dependency problems NOW since based on Raspbian. We spent some hours to rebase OMV on a true Debian userland which is available now as OMV_3_0_79_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.35.7z which is confirmed to work (at least no dependency hassles, see above!

Many thx for your hard work !
    Sry I'm new here, I was not very sure about this source... So if it's validated by the whole OMV team, I'll download and use it with pleasure ;)

@ryecoaaron: On https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/ the older images are still available. Maybe hiding/removing them to save users from running into this issue again and avoiding confusion?

Good idea !
    People like me will come for 1st time on the Doc/download pages... as I've done some days ago.
    1st experience with OMV will be better if it's working after plugging the power cable ;)

Thx all for your work, I'll try this new .img ASAP

• Offizieller Beitrag

So if it's validated by the whole OMV team, I'll download and use it with pleasure

It isn't validated by the whole OMV team but I created all of the previous RPi images and I uploaded this one to sourceforge after doing plenty of testing. It is better than my images.

• I was thinking about "lesson 1 : security"... nothing more I think not being alone to prefer installing softwares from a "good" people...

That's the reason why I'm contributing to Armbian (which is the base of this image). Since with Armbian's build system https://github.com/armbian/build I can generate fully automated Debian or Ubuntu OS images for +50 SBC from scratch. So no need to trust in anyone who provided an image that there are no backdoors and so on.

Unfortunately with this RPi image this is slightly different. It was not booted already, still the userland has been created from scratch by scripts (assembling the image from upstream Debian sources) but at least I have fiddled manually around to improve stuff for Raspberries. And yes, you've to trust me that I didn't added something evil but I would be an idiot if I did so (since one of the main reasons to work on Armbian are security concerns).

But as far as I know SBC OS images 'where someone manually fiddled around' whom you have to trust are what you get almost everwhere (except of the *BSDs and Armbian where you can set up a virtual machine, audit the build scripts and then let a genuine OS image be created from scratch -- just not for Raspberries since Armbian don't support them for various reasons).

BTW: My main security concern with all those new Armbian based OMV images is that there's no password policy forcing users to immediately change root and GUI passwords (which is something Armbian usually does but since I contribute here to a different projekt I chose to remain compatible to established rules here)

• Offizieller Beitrag

My main security concern with all those new Armbian based OMV images is that there's no password policy forcing users to immediately change root and GUI passwords (which is something Armbian usually does but since I contribute here to a different projekt I chose to remain compatible to established rules here)

I think forcing a password change is a good idea. Obviously, forcing the password change in the web interface for the admin user makes sense. But, where should the root password be changed? Some OMV users never use the CLI.

• Obviously, forcing the password change in the web interface for the admin user makes sense. But, where should the root password be changed?

IMO it should be changed at the same time the user chooses a new password in the web interface (allowing the user to change later the root password via CLI without adjusting the web interface password as well, but this is something a dialog should tell).

BTW: I've also some other 'security' concerns. In these OMV images the deb sources are already referenced as https links instead of http as all tutorials show. But then

Would be nice to switch to TLS/HTTPS for all transport methods and use also gpg signature checks. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!