New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

• Maybe a little since the packages are compiled for the right cpu. I doubt you would notice any difference though.

There are differences especially when not running synthetic benchmarks (real-world applications). But that's not due to ARMv6 vs. ARMv7 compiler settings (in fact Raspbian guys did a really good job to optimize their ARMv6 builds as much as possible, I checked several binaries already where Raspbian binary is faster than Debian armhf counterpart) but due to the more important stuff like cpufreq governor tuning and IO scheduler and priority settings.

Not directly comparable but that's the old Rasbian based OMV image for Raspberries tested with a pretty fast SSD:

And these are comparison numbers of DietPi (Raspbian based) and the new image made with a 2.5" HDD: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

HDD vs SSD strangely makes a difference since different bottlenecks add up so the new image combined with the same SSD as in the first test above will show superiour or equal numbers in every area. But that doesn't matter that much since Raspberries are too slow anyway (and if people look only at backup times, then good luck for them when they realize that restore times are important, do the math yourself how long it takes to pull 500GB off an Raspberry Pi at lousy speeds around 5MB/s compared to 50MB/s with a good ARM board, that's few hours vs. a whole day).

Current Raspbian is based on Stretch already so maybe the usual way upgrading to OMV4 works. It's easy to test (with a cloned SD card before) so I really wonder why affected users ask questions instead of providing insights :)

• I tried the OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img.xz image on a 16 GB microSD card.
    Once the gui was usable I started configuring OMV.
    With standard images I had out of the box the "boot" partition and also a partition with home folder for users.
    Now with the "image for rpi" I have no "device" to be chosen when I create my first user and I have to create the user without home folder.
    How can I setup this "data" partition?

I try to explain this in a different way: with the standard image in webGui there you can create shared folder (as example) using a "device" that is the EXT4 microSd partition.
    Now I have not "drive" in shared folder webGui but via ssh / is 8GB (not exactly 8).
    I installed raspi-config to expand it (I'm using 16GB card) but it says "mmcblk0p2 is not the last partition. Don't know how to expand".

Why?

I miss also "standard" user home files, like .profile, .bashrc and so on

• @mcgyver83 - If you read the very first post in this thread I think you will find the answer. In summary, the root partition is resized to 7.3GB and the remaining space on SD card is filled by another partition that just needs to be formatted/initialised.

• The image resizes the rootfs automagically to ~7.3GB on first boot and creates a 3rd partition using the remaining space of the SD card you need to initialize manually if you want to use it for OMV shares ('mkfs.ext4|mkfs.btrfs /dev/mmcblk0p3')
  • Ok, sorry, I miss it..
    But how can I initialize it without removing microSD? From webGui I cannot create new filesystem, no devices appear in dropdown list.
    Is it possible to expand root partition to use the entire free space?
    And last: is it possible to enable home folder for users? In the webGui page I haven't any device in dropdown list

• 1. to initialise the filesystem you need to do this from the CLI (e.g. putty on windows or terminal on mac) over a SSH connection - unless you have the device connected to a monitor via HDMI. The command to create the new partition as ext4:

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p3

2. Expanding the size of the root partition is possible but tricky/risky. If you are not familiar with linux and CLI, I would not recommend.

3. I'm sure it is easy to setup users with home folder but i wouldn't use the SD as the home folder. Other folks on this forum will be better at explaining how to do this. I would search the forum and then post a new question about setting up users with home folders...

Good luck!

Update: I see you have a RPi and have used raspi-config to try to expand the root partition. The reason it is not working is that there is an unformatted partition that you need to delete (from CLI) first. If you really want to delete the 3rd partition and expand then use the fdisk command. be careful!!!

• Thanks!

1. done :) just a question? Why the out of the box system has a root partition and another one not initialized instead of having the full microSD used by root partition?

2. ok I'll skip it :)

3. Why isn't recommended to use microSD as home folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

just a question? Why the out of the box system has a root partition and another one not initialized instead of having the full microSD used by root partition?

Because some people wanted to use the unused space for data that could use in the omv web interface. People not running plex on their RPi will probably never use more than 2 GB on the SD card.

Why isn't recommended to use microSD as home folder?

It isn't possible to set that from the omv web interface. If you are using the SD card for data, using it for the home folder really isn't any different.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi,
    after a couple of week of usage mny omv with rpi2 runs fine.

After enabling email monitoring I receive this mail each day:
    run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/monitor-raspi-health exited with return code 1This is my /var/log folder files list

Some files have owner group root,others admm, others utmp... is it right?

• run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/monitor-raspi-health exited with return code 1

Seems you're not using latest image? Can you please compare https://raw.githubusercontent.…aily/monitor-raspi-health with /etc/cron.daily/monitor-raspi-health in your installation? The problem has been reported ages ago and should be fixed (adding last line with 'exit 0').

• Seems you're not using latest image? Can you please compare https://raw.githubusercontent.…aily/monitor-raspi-health with /etc/cron.daily/monitor-raspi-health in your installation? The problem has been reported ages ago and should be fixed (adding last line with 'exit 0').

If I check the current image here : https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/
    OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img.xz

There is not "exit 0" at the end of this file. That's why I got this same problem when I've reset my sdcard with this image (and now it's in production). Is there another location where to find a RPi image ? When we click on Download link from the OMV website, it's going to this link...? This is why I'm sometimes lost about the "latest image" :p

Is there something else to check we are using a good image ? ARMbian instead of Raspbian based image ?

Thx for not bashing the noobs ;) :p

• @tkaiser - I have a rock64 on the way (in transit from China). I was hoping you could give some advice in terms of of a stable image/build to use with it. I have seen ayufan-rock64 stuff on GitHub and I see that there is a release with OMV installed. Is this a good starting point?

Also interested to know if/when rock64 will be supported by armbian so that you (hopefully) can do one of your OMV images.

Any thoughts/suggestions to get me started would be appreciated!

PS looking forward to smashing (with hammer) my Bananapi M2U :)

• I was hoping you could give some advice in terms of of a stable image/build to use with it

Why again off-topic here since I already answered it where it belongs to: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/20301 (I moved your last request over there to. Use ayufan's image for now, we took care that it exactly behaves the same from an 'OMV support' point of view -- even armbianmonitor -m / -u works there. No idea when Armbian images will be ready, waiting for feedback from other devs)

• Since RPi folks in the meantime released a newer kernel maybe I bake a new image soon

Latest questions in the forum convinced me to delete OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img.xz and I will delete https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/OMV_for_Raspberries within 24 hours (so anyone interested in maintaining OMV on crap might want to fork the repo now)

• Offizieller Beitrag

so anyone interested in maintaining OMV on crap might want to fork the repo now

I really don't want to maintain it but I forked it anyway.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!