New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

• tr59 wrote:

Hello,

I am new to this forum and only users of OMV. I have a new RPi+ and would like to build a small NAS. With an old pi I could create a bootable image. Sounds good!. The pi boots and I can configure it via the webgui. But there are issues with media playback. The pi seems to lose connection to either the HDD or the network or it has an hardware issue. The stream stops after minutes. The stream also stops when rewinding and rewinding. Maybe someone can help. Thank's!

With NFS I get this error
      ntfs-3g[8720]: Failed to read $MFT bitmap: Input/output error
      kernel: [ 2702.857586] Buffer I/O error on dev sda5, logical block 20, async page read

Structure:
      Pi 3+ (Pi3 power supply)
      HDD with external power supply

What was I trying to do:
      NFS/FTP/SMB all the same issue
      Separate HDD, Separate power supplies

This configuration runs on the old Pi 3 without issues!
      I am having the same issue with the same configuration, it seems the network connection is constantly dropping :

Apr 1 13:41:59 Hadoukenas NetworkManager[1104]: <info> (eth0): link disconnected
      Apr 1 13:42:02 Hadoukenas NetworkManager[1104]: <info> (eth0): link connected
      Apr 1 13:42:20 Hadoukenas NetworkManager[1104]: <info> (eth0): link disconnected
      Apr 1 13:42:23 Hadoukenas NetworkManager[1104]: <info> (eth0): link connected
      Apr 1 13:45:01 Hadoukenas CRON[1988]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
      Apr 1 13:45:01 Hadoukenas CRON[1993]: (root) CMD (/usr/sbin/omv-mkgraph >/dev/null 2>&1)
      Apr 1 13:47:05 Hadoukenas NetworkManager[1104]: <info> (eth0): link disconnected
    • tkaiser wrote:

@ryecoaaron can you please one more time replace readme.txt for the RPi image: pastebin.com/raw/NFB200xP

They switched to a 4.14 kernel branch the day before yesterday which also means OMV installations should be upgraded to this kernel version on first boot automagically. Anyone reporting problems (like 'no Wi-Fi') with an RPi installation still being on 4.9 is a symptom of users not being patient and interrupting the first boot (or no network connectivity).
      I'm still on 4.9.80-v7+ --- Maybe this is part of my issue on the 3b+
    • nunorgp wrote:

I am having the same issue with the same configuration, it seems the network connection is constantly dropping
      So what? There exist SBC that do work as intended... On the first page of this thread there are some places listed where to look into in case of problems.

If you use the new Pi 3+ then you should be aware that this thing is a power hog (triggering underpowering issues more easily than before) and that this thing got the internal USB+Ethernet chip replaced with something that has obviously never been tested by the device vendor. You find somewhere here in this thread various links to a funny RPi forum thread dealing with network crappiness on the new Pi.
    • dogg!~ wrote:

i tried apt update and apt dist-upgrade -- didn't upgrade
      Then you somehow interrupted the first boot or booted without network connected. This should be fixed on subsequent boots but for whatever reasons it does not on the RPi images. I honestly don't care about this crappy hardware any more.

Somewhere in the forum I explained multiple times how such an image could be repared. Maybe you find the threads...

Edit: here is one: Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel on 3.0.94 RPI3

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkaiser ().

• Started from scratch. Now--I'm running 4.14.30-v7+ kernel. Still cutting out when transferring large files across my network even with the 100Mb throttle in /etc/rc.local. Should be noted that time machine backups are working now that I'm on the updated kernel so that part of my initial problem has been fixed.

I'm getting speeds at around 11.5 MB/ps with the throttle and 21.5 MB/ps when I hash out that line in /etc/rc.local

If this worked more consistently it would be a worthwhile speed upgrade. I'm more than likely going to buy a different SBC that works better with Openmediavault. For now I will revert back to the rpi3 - a little slower but totally stable.

tkaiser - Thank you for all your help!
    • dogg!~ wrote:

Still cutting out when transferring large files across my network
      I suggested over in the funny RPi forum to look into EEE (energy efficient ethernet) and one of those guys who censor there (RPi Trading employees) IIRC said disabling EEE fixed similar issues for him. There's a proprietary magic word you can use in config.txt for this, please visit their forum and deal with ignorance/stupidity on your own :)
    • tkaiser wrote:

dogg!~ wrote:

Still cutting out when transferring large files across my network
      I suggested over in the funny RPi forum to look into EEE (energy efficient ethernet) and one of those guys who censor there (RPi Trading employees) IIRC said disabling EEE fixed similar issues for him. There's a proprietary magic word you can use in config.txt for this, please visit their forum and deal with ignorance/stupidity on your own :)
      I think this fixed it. How can I send you a tip?
    • dogg!~ wrote:

How will the rpi specific kernel updates get handled from here on out? do they come straight through apt or do they roll in automatically like what happens at first boot?
      They come through apt just like what happened at first boot ;)

Seriously: We use the repos from archive.raspberrypi.org for kernel + 'firmware' so once they release a new stable kernel as .deb package you're just one 'apt update' away. In case they mark their kernel updates a security update then unattended-upgrades package should install it automagically but of course it then needs a reboot for the new kernel to be active.

BTW: Thank you for the tip and cheers! :)
    • Little update on lousy RPi 3 B+ (the 'great' Gigabit Ethernet capable new incarnaton).

It should be obvious in the meantime that RPi folks simply did not test anything at all prior to replacing the old LAN9514 with LAN7515 on their new board. Those LAN* chips are a combination of internal USB hub and an USB Ethernet chip (on the LAN7515 it's even two cascaded USB hubs -- so if you manage to attach an USB disk to the wrong two ports it's even more bottlenecked than before).

raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtop…208512&start=100#p1297910

Just read through the whole thread to get an idea of what's going on. Manufacturer not giving a sh*t about networking at all in the beginning. Then surprised that they have an EEE issue, then surprised that performance sucks, then surprised that other USB2 attached Gigabit Ethernet solutions do not suck that much. And in the meantime constantly blaming others and censoring their forum ensuring their users remaining clueless.

What a mess... :(

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkaiser ().

• dogg!~ wrote:

I just need to buy the Rock64 and be done with this mess.
      Yes :)
      omv 4.1.4 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.3
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • New

you guys think 1g of memory is sufficient for running OMV on the Rock64 or should I upgrade? what plugins would require more RAM? I'm assuming that the ARM processor will still be more of a bottleneck for plugins like Plex than RAM. Don't want to spend more than I need to but if it will make a difference I'll buy up. Thoughts?
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest