How to use the Backup plugin

    • OMV 3.x

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • How to use the Backup plugin

      Today I had a problem with installing ddclient plugin as mentioned in this thread
      Before installing it, I had made a backup with the OMV backup plugin for system recoveries in a volume on a separate hard disk (no part of the RAID volume).
      But when I tried to recover the system with omv-firstaid it said there was no backup found.

      Where should I save the system backup to be able to recover the system with omv-firstaid.
      Or is there a more reliable method to back up the system?
      Motherboard: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac
      Processor: Intel Pentium G4500
      Memory: 1x Kingston ValueRam 8GB(1x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL1
      System Drive: SANDISK 128 GB SSD X400 M.2
      Data Drives: 4x Seagate NAS 3TB
      Case: Fractal Design Node 304
      Power: Be quiet! PURE POWER 10 400W CM
      UPS: Eaton Ellipse ECO 1600

      OMV version: 3.0.82
    • New

      I used it once to do backup the system but haven't tried restoring from it. I have found a weird problem. I wanted to move the backup to a different share since I was just testing it, but it won't let me. I also went to the acl to change the rights for all folders as well but I still couldn't copy the folder to my desktop so I could move it. So I think there is something still not right with that plugin. I mean you can back up but if you can't restore and I can't move the folder I wouldn't trust it to restore. At least not at the moment until someone can actually test that. One more thing, there are more updates so make sure you update your omv.
    • New

      JukeboxBill wrote:

      Where should I save the system backup to be able to recover the system with omv-firstaid.
      omv-firstaid cannot recover the system from the backup plugin's backup.

      JukeboxBill wrote:

      Or is there a more reliable method to back up the system?
      The backup plugin's backup is reliable. It is just difficult to restore for people new to linux. I recommend using clonezilla if this post doesn't make sense.

      Jaime wrote:

      I wanted to move the backup to a different share since I was just testing it, but it won't let me.
      You should just make a new backup if you want to move it.

      Jaime wrote:

      I also went to the acl to change the rights for all folders as well but I still couldn't copy the folder to my desktop so I could move it.
      Bad idea. The backup files need to retain proper permissions otherwise they won't make a good backup.

      Jaime wrote:

      So I think there is something still not right with that plugin.
      All the plugin does is execute an rsync command. It maintains permissions which is causing you issues but is the right thing to do. There is nothing wrong with the plugin. I have used it since I created it and restored many times without issues.

      Jaime wrote:

      I mean you can back up but if you can't restore and I can't move the folder I wouldn't trust it to restore.
      Not being able to move the folder via samba (guessing) doesn't mean you can't trust it... That said, clonezilla sounds like it would be a better choice for you.

      Jaime wrote:

      At least not at the moment until someone can actually test that.
      See above comments.
      omv 3.0.84 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.9 backport kernel | omvextrasorg 3.4.26
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • New

      ryecoaaron wrote:

      The backup plugin's backup is reliable. It is just difficult to restore for people new to linux. I recommend using clonezilla if this post doesn't make sense.
      I saw that post, but it was very old and long, so I omitted it. It's hard for me to filter out the method in the thread, required to restore the backup, made by the plugin. I'm not a complete noob, but a step by step manual would be appreciated. I will look into Clonezilla.

      However, I still find the explanation in the OMV plugin a bit misleading or at least incomplete. Why offer a backup method, when one can't use a similar easy restore. A warning would be in place.


      ryecoaaron wrote:

      omv-firstaid cannot recover the system from the backup plugin's backup.
      Then what does omv-firstaid recover do?
      Motherboard: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac
      Processor: Intel Pentium G4500
      Memory: 1x Kingston ValueRam 8GB(1x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL1
      System Drive: SANDISK 128 GB SSD X400 M.2
      Data Drives: 4x Seagate NAS 3TB
      Case: Fractal Design Node 304
      Power: Be quiet! PURE POWER 10 400W CM
      UPS: Eaton Ellipse ECO 1600

      OMV version: 3.0.82
    • New

      JukeboxBill wrote:

      I saw that post, but it was very old and long, so I omitted it.
      Very old but still what the plugin uses. It describes everything needed.

      JukeboxBill wrote:

      It's hard for me to filter out the method in the thread, required to restore the backup, made by the plugin. I'm not a complete noob, but a step by step manual would be appreciated.
      The second code box is the method required for a restore and is step by step. Granted it is not cut&paste but too many variables cause that problem. You can't restore from the live system so the plugin can't have restore options.

      JukeboxBill wrote:

      However, I still find the explanation in the OMV plugin a bit misleading or at least incomplete. Why offer a backup method, when one can't use a similar easy restore. A warning would be in place.
      Maybe it is but it is not the recommended backup/restore method. I created it for myself. I thought others would find it useful. If it is not, then people are free to submit pull requests to "fix" it. As I mention above, the plugin could never do a full restore. That has to be done while booted in a live distro. As for warnings, the backup will be ok. If people can't figure out how to restore, posting in the forum will help. At least if someone is using the plugin, a backup is easy and restore is possible. We can't automate the clonezilla backup which makes a lot of people not use it.
      omv 3.0.84 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.9 backport kernel | omvextrasorg 3.4.26
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • New

      ryecoaaron wrote:

      JukeboxBill wrote:

      Where should I save the system backup to be able to recover the system with omv-firstaid.
      omv-firstaid cannot recover the system from the backup plugin's backup.

      JukeboxBill wrote:

      Or is there a more reliable method to back up the system?
      The backup plugin's backup is reliable. It is just difficult to restore for people new to linux. I recommend using clonezilla if this post doesn't make sense.

      Jaime wrote:

      I wanted to move the backup to a different share since I was just testing it, but it won't let me.
      You should just make a new backup if you want to move it.

      Jaime wrote:

      I also went to the acl to change the rights for all folders as well but I still couldn't copy the folder to my desktop so I could move it.
      Bad idea. The backup files need to retain proper permissions otherwise they won't make a good backup.

      Jaime wrote:

      So I think there is something still not right with that plugin.
      All the plugin does is execute an rsync command. It maintains permissions which is causing you issues but is the right thing to do. There is nothing wrong with the plugin. I have used it since I created it and restored many times without issues.

      Jaime wrote:

      I mean you can back up but if you can't restore and I can't move the folder I wouldn't trust it to restore.
      Not being able to move the folder via samba (guessing) doesn't mean you can't trust it... That said, clonezilla sounds like it would be a better choice for you.

      Jaime wrote:

      At least not at the moment until someone can actually test that.
      See above comments.
      Great thanks for clarifying this.